How can anyone dare live in Memphis without a firearm?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SouthernGal, May 17, 2007.

1. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Herenton explains decision not to attend City Hall session

By Jacinthia Jones

May 17, 2007
    Memphis Mayor Willie Herenton on Wednesday sought to rally citizens against crime and respond to criticism for not attending a City Hall meeting where 150 citizens, mostly women, came to say they're fed up with crime and want something done about it.
    What triggered their outrage was the rape and beating last week of a woman who was set upon by two men as she and her son returned to their Goodwyn Street home.

Herenton said he sympathizes with the victim just as he does every time someone in his "family" is hurt. "When you're the mayor of a city, you embrace your city as being your family. If any segment of your family is wounded or affected by crime, it hurts," he said.
    "It is clear to me that crime has no respect for neighborhood, class or race," Herenton said. "It rears its ugly head wherever an opportunity presents itself.

"It's not just that community that's concerned about safety, it's every community. It didn't take a rape, it takes just where they live."

Speaking to reporters, Herenton said he and Police Director Larry Godwin discussed beforehand how to handle the City Council committee-turned-community meeting, and Herenton opted not to attend.

"Had I gone in there, I knew that at least one of the council persons would have used that as an opportunity to politicize a dreadful event," he said. "And for some self-serving politician to use that occasion to politicize crime, certainly I would have walked into that."

Herenton said he doesn't go to every funeral or fire or prayer vigil.

"It doesn't mean I don't care. I care. I care very deeply," he said, adding that instead he works behind the scenes talking to his directors and getting resources in place to fight crime.

But Councilman E.C. Jones, who was among those who criticized the mayor, said the mayor has a duty to address his constituents.

"It's already politicized," said Jones. "These people came to City Hall asking, 'Where is the mayor?' They didn't ask for the City Council. He could've just came by there, and said, 'Ladies, it was a terrible crime and we're doing everything we can, but I just wanted to come by and tell y'all that.' How long would that have taken?"

Councilwoman Carol Chumney, who is running for mayor, accused the mayor of neglecting his responsibility.

"This mayor has always been hands off, and that's part of the problem," she said. "He's always said, 'That's not my job.' Well, what is his job?"

Herenton said he has a responsibility as mayor to provide officers, resources and the best technology to fight crime.

Last year, he asked for 500 new cops that he said could be paid for with a property tax increase, but got little support from the council.

In the upcoming 2008 budget, Herenton has proposed spending $4 million to hire more than 100 new officers next year. He wants to spend about $700,000 more to implement a high-tech "real time" crime center.

He acknowledged again the city's difficulties with recruiting officers, especially African-American men. Because so many young black males have criminal records or drug problems, Herenton said, the academy is seeing more black women.

Meanwhile, Herenton said the community needs to help cops by being vigilant through Neighborhood Watch programs and encouraging lawmakers to pass legislation that imposes tougher sentencing laws on criminals.

More from the Commercial Appeal Letters to the editor:

Memphis crime takes a heavy toll

I was once a true Memphis girl. I was born at Baptist Hospital, attended great public schools and enjoyed the Memphis Zoo, Overton Square and the Cotton Carnival. I was a successful radio deejay for over 20 years on several Memphis stations, and have the most amazing friends in Memphis -- some from first and second grade that I'm still very close to.

It has broken my heart that the crime in Memphis has caused me to move away from the city that I once loved so much. I will not go into how many times I had been a victim myself, or how many of my friends have been exposed to something that caused us all to question our quality of life in Memphis. This latest story about the woman and her son in Chickasaw Gardens (May 15 article, "Rape stirs neighborhood outrage") just brings it all back to light again, and makes me ill.

I'm guessing this is not these boys' first crime, nor their last. I do commend the Memphis police for tracking down the criminals, but what happens next?

I hope the city takes a good, hard look at what is really going on there, and will stop the madness. For some reason, the criminals find Memphis comfortable. Is it tolerance in the system? Is it denial in the residents? I am hoping the city will be strong enough to take a stand. Concerned citizens can only "fight the good fight" for so long before moving elsewhere.

Kelly Cruise

Chattanooga

Get involved to make a difference

Two and one-half years ago I spiked a "for sale" sign in our Midtown Memphis yard shortly after my wife gave birth to our daughter. I had seen enough to make me realize that the potential for violence against my family was very real and the likelihood of me using a firearm and killing an intruder very possible.

Your May 6 article about the residents' patrol in Central Gardens brought back lots of memories. I too drove my neighborhood at all hours of the night (armed to the teeth) looking for the source of our car thefts, break-ins and driveway robberies. There was a core group of about five of us who were fed up with the brazen acts of street thugs and the inability of the police to make a dent in the problem.

The apathy expressed by one of the individuals interviewed for your article was typical and reminded me of the "naysayers" in my old neighborhood.

The rape last week of a woman at gunpoint while her 12-year-old son was present in the home occurred less than a quarter-mile from where I used to live. The sad thing about it is that it doesn't surprise me in the least, as I have been out "patrolling" that area at 4 a.m. I saw what was out there and how pathetically few police were in our sector on any given night.

There are those who will wax poetic about the charms of Memphis and others who will claim crime is everywhere, random, and, to a degree, expected in a city the size of Memphis.

I know this for sure. Memphians who choose to live inside the I-240 loop will not see any appreciable change until average citizens get off their duffs and get involved. Otherwise, get off your pocketbooks and hire another 2,000 police officers because that's what it will take to make Memphis livable again.

Michael E. Bone

Knoxville

Protecting the wrong people's rights

I am appalled at the recent rape (May 15 article). And the guy called his friends on a cell phone to brag about it. I think we need to take him to our town square and beat him, and call his friends and let them listen. Maybe our crime rate would drop. When are the taxpayers going to have rights?

Denise Angell

Germantown

Pet projects deter the war on crime

The brutal rape in Chickasaw Gardens could have happened anywhere in this lawless city. Citizens are mad, and this should be the motivation for the City Council to provide more funding for police protection. They have the power but cite lack of money as the reason for not meeting law enforcement needs. Funds are available in the budget now, but misplaced in pet political projects. It's time for each citizen to hold their councilman accountable and be told not to approve any funds for pet political projects until law enforcement needs are met.

This incident is all the more reason to deny the Riverfront Development Corp. and its $100,000-a-year fat cats the $29 million requested for their Beale Street Landing project and put the money where it can improve our quality of life (May 15 article, "Beale Street Landing dropped from city budget"). The council should revisit every item of the current budget for needed dollars and also put a moratorium on all new political projects.

I question why the mayor has an around-the-clock security detail costing around a million dollars a year while his citizens are at risk.

W. M. 'Bill' Reed

Memphis

Regarding your May 15 article, "Beale Street Landing dropped from city budget": $29 million for a boat dock?

Crime is running rampant, students are getting a second-class education, police and firemen are underpaid.

Yes, Mayor Herenton, this is just what we need to spend our money on. You need to get your head out of the sand and see the real problems in this city.

Why not spend some money on making this city safer for residents? Just maybe the tourists will come without a $29 million boat dock.

Margaret Savarin

Cordova

For anyone who missed it, I lived in Memphis for almost 10 years total. 7 in the suburbs of Cordova and the other 2+ in Hickory Hill (now commonly called "Hickory Hood"). I got a permit in 1999 after a man tried to get into my car with me in front of the MLG&W building on Beale in broad daylight. There were other people out that morning and all of them saw what was going on and did nothing.

I fail to see how any woman could live alone in a city such as Memphis and NOT own a firearm. It just baffles me that there are people I know who are though. This city and its crappy leader want to grease their own palms at the cost of every citizen and then lay off all the blame of the crime on someone else, and yet they wonder why more and more we're seeing a trend toward citizens killing criminals in self defense. A few weeks ago WMC (channel 5 to you locals) did a newspiece on how many TN permit holders there were. Surprise surprise, most of them were issued to people in Shelby County. Thank God Bill Gibbons has refused to press charges lately in such cases.

I now live in MS but commute to Memphis every morning. The stupid mayor wants to know why citizens are fleeing his city in record numbers. Doesn't seem to me that it would take a rocket scientist to figure this out :upeyes:

2. cassandra

cassandra

I work for a software company that sells 911 dispatch systems all over the country. Years ago we got a bid invite from Memphis and I asked if we were going to respond to it, and the CEO said hell no, <i>there's too much crime there</i>! Like if they were using our dispatch system and something went wrong and people got hurt, they'd be suing us to pass the buck.

That could happen anywhere of course but Memphis is an especially daunting place.

3. the fool

the fool on the hill

i live an hour away from there and im still too close

4. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

I brought five with me just for a visit!:shocked:

:rofl: :wavey:

5. sweetatergal

sweetatergal

Along with OC and about 2 or 3 knives.

And was armed everywhere we went!!! :thumbsup:

Herenton was too scared to show up. He would not want to explain how he got 2 black eyes from women. :rofl:

6. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

4 of them...

7. SouthernGal

"PASS THE BUCK" could be the new City of Memphis slogan. Were it not for the great county mayor, this city would go to hell in a handbasket.

It gives me a great deal of hope to watch the early poll numbers on the election for Mayor (the actual election will be in October). These numbers show that Councilwoman Chumney is leading if the election were held today. Between the huge MLG&W scandal we just had and the type of stunt Herenton pulled yesterday with these Chickasaw homeowners, he's losing bigtime in the court of public opinion.

8. SouthernGal

I stood outside the pet store today and heard police sirens off in the distance, looked at my two friends and said:

"Welcome to Memphis, we hope you enjoy your stay."

9. Rogueplayer

Rogueplayer Fast Mover

Live in Cordova as well; my wife carries EVERYWHERE she goes.

10. sweetatergal

sweetatergal

:shocked:

11. sweetatergal

sweetatergal

When folks move here and find out what the insurance rates are I always tell them " Welcome to Memphis, where they will steal your car right from underneath ya".

12. SouthernGal

We're the minority...that's for sure.

13. SouthernGal

Yeah buddy, you live in GOD'S country...Lee County. I went to school in the MS Delta myself. Between the bugs and the heat, you learn how to be tough.

14. jj45fan

jj45fan

Ahmen to that. As for Memphis, I'm going there tomorrow to have my wife's car serviced & I will be armmed before I leave Lee County. I spent alot of time in Memphis as a kid & enjoyed it then, but now I mostly try to avoid it. My grandfather had resturaunts in Memphis & Millington for years, now he says he wouldn't move back if they gave him the Peabody Hotel.

15. SouthernGal

I'm so old I can remember going to Southbrook/SouthLand mall unarmed.

When you can put a Taco Bell out of business, that's a good sign that it's a place you don't need to be.

16. cassandra

cassandra

:shocked:

Guess I'm kind of sheltered here in Montana.

So is Memphis like another NOLA?

17. SouthernGal

Up until a few years ago when Katrina blew through Memphis would always jockey with NO and Detroit for the highest crime rates in the nation.

New news today says that the guys they picked up for the rape were out on parole:

Police: Rape wasn't random act

Say second suspect charged in attack, robbery knew victims
    By Chris Conley

May 18, 2007

The rape and robbery of a woman in the Memphis Country Club neighborhood Friday afternoon wasn't a random crime as first believed, police said.

Elroy Cobbins, 30, the second man charged in the attack, knew the victims through a relative who had done work for them, police said.

He was charged Thursday afternoon with two counts of aggravated robbery, and one count each of aggravated rape and aggravated burglary.

On Monday, Memphis police charged Cobbins' associate Marchello Hurst, 24, with aggravated rape, aggravated robbery, and aggravated burglary for his role in the crime.

The 43-year-old female victim and her 12-year-old son had just returned home when they were accosted by two robbers inside their home in the 300 block of Goodwyn Street, just south of Central Avenue.

The two men, both armed with pistols, followed the woman and her son from their driveway into the house through an unlocked door and demanded money.

One pointed a pistol at the son's head as the second, believed to be Cobbins, raped and pistol-whipped the woman. The two then robbed the woman and her son of jewelry and other personal items.

The woman told police that while one man was raping her, the other was calling someone to brag about the attack. She remembered he called the other suspect by the nickname "Boo."

Detectives were able to obtain from a cell phone carrier the specific signal that was put out from the home at 4 p.m. Friday.

Meanwhile, Memphis police flooded the streets looking for a 1985 Pontiac Parisienne seen in the area.

Early Saturday, they were informed that the cell phone had been used again, and were able to get an approximate location.

They arrested Hurst at his apartment in the 1500 block of Southern Avenue.

So, less than 12 hours after the attack, Hurst had been arrested and confessed to the crime, according to the charges. He said he was with someone he knew only as "Boo."

But finding Boo took several days of canvassing and matching leads by sex crimes detectives under Lt. Terry Landrum and Sgt. Anthony Carter.

"They worked (on) their days off, around the clock," said Lt. Joseph Scott. "We had information that someone he (Cobbins) knows did work for the family. "It wasn't a random location."

The crime sparked a large community protest.

Residents from the area flooded City Hall on Tuesday to voice their outrage. Police Director Larry Godwin promised that all measures would be taken to catch the second suspect.

Police said they had various types of evidence from the crime scene, including DNA evidence, which has been sent to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation for analysis.

They would not say whether anything stolen from the house was recovered.

Cobbins qualifies to be prosecuted by the District Attorney General's Special Prosecution Unit, which handles cases of convicted felons accused of multiple crimes.

Cobbins admitted to being at the Goodwyn address and to pistol-whipping and raping the woman, according to the charges.

Hurst was on probation for aggravated burglary at the time of the attack on Goodwyn, according to court records.

18. AZ DBLTRBL

AZ DBLTRBL Out Of Order CLM

Sounds like the criminals own the place....that really is a shame. I remember recently I heard the rankings of the 50 most dangerous cities....do you recall seeing that and do you remember where you rank on the list? I know Phoenix was #3 - and I try to carry all the time. I have yet to start carrying when I have my granddaughter with me (it just feels....well, I'm not sure what the block is.)

I probably need to be even MORE prepared when I have her with me....but I'm not sure how to explain to a 4 year old why Gwamma is packin' a gun.....

19. jj45fan

jj45fan

Out on parole, yet another example of how rehabilatation isn't working. There's a 20something yr old punk who lives up the street from me who should have been in jail long ago, & would be if the local sheriff hadn't dropped the ball. No job, no licence, no insurance, but he got drunk& high a couple weeks ago & was involved in 2 hit & runs in the same morning. The 3rd time the man he hit died. He's still running the streets without a care in the world, selling drugs & drawing a disablity check. The whole thing makes me sick, the man he killed was a WWII vet. Nice huh!:sad: