How BAD are thing on the Phoenix, AZ-PD when they are talking LAYOFFS!!!!

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by akapennypincher, Jan 27, 2010.

1. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

"http://www.abc15.com/content/news/phoenixmetro/central/story/Phoenix-police-may-face-massive-layoffs-amid/WKOJX5cCw0uaDMMMzBf0WA.cspx

Phoenix police may face massive layoffs amid budget crisis

PHOENIX -- As Phoenix struggles to overcome its budget crisis, city police may have to begin laying off sworn officers.

"It's looking very likely," Sgt. Trent Crump said.

Phoenix has asked all city departments to reduce their budgets by at least 15 percent.

For police, that means a staggering amount of money, and officials said they have nowhere else to slice.

"It's very difficult," Crump said. "What we know is that number is between $68 million and $70 million."

Crump tracks the budget situation. He told ABC15 the cuts could mean:

- Hundreds of officers and police staff could lose their jobs.
    - Two new precincts reorganized.
    - Eliminating several police units and teams.

"When you take away this many people it's going to have to give some place," Crump said. "And we know that."

But what officers don't know is who's on the chopping block.

And at the Phoenix police union, the phone's been ringing off the hook from worried cops.

"You've heard the phrase the thin blue line. It can't get any thinner, it's going to snap," said Mark Spencer, Phoenix Law Enforcement Association resident.

The union represents 2,500 officers.

And Spencer said he's not sure what else can be done or removed before budget cuts entirely sever the city's public safety.

"You've seen that slogan on the side of police cars 'To Serve and Protect,' well these budget cuts are going to morph that from 'Serve and Protect' to 'Wait and See,'" said Spencer.

Officials said the city manager will determine how much the police department will need to cut later this week.

PLUS!!

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...01/26/20100126phoenix-police-layoffs0126.html

January 27, 2010 |

Phoenix officers continue work amid threat of layoffs

by Michael Ferraresi - Jan. 26, 2010 12:00 AM
    The Arizona Republic

Barry Cassidy knows his time as a sworn Phoenix police officer is ending.

He was the last officer hired. With less than six months on the job, he patrols Bell Road in northeast Phoenix with the understanding his position would be the first cut.

The 62-year-old expects his name will top the list when supervisors issue early pink-slip notifications to officers this week as Phoenix prepares to lay off first responders to help balance its $245 million deficit.

"The advantage I have is people think I've been around forever," said Cassidy, a retired physician's assistant who earned his badge in August after serving for a year as a volunteer Phoenix police reserve officer.

"They don't know they're looking at the biggest rookie on the department."

The notices expected this week are the first step in preparing officers for layoffs or reassignment. It is unclear how many will be let go.

The Police Department was asked to identify 15 percent of $456.7 million allocated through the city's general fund, or $68.5 million.

Cassidy's hands rolled across the laptop in a Phoenix police patrol vehicle with the same precision they once assisted with open-heart surgeries at Mayo Clinic. He served an order of protection and filed a theft report during a recent shift without complaining about the prospect of losing his job.

'A real pinch'

He empathizes with the police commanders who have agonized for months in anticipation of slashing individual positions, which Phoenix police unions and neighborhood groups are expected to fight next month.

"This isn't negotiating a 2 percent raise or something," Cassidy said. "The city's in a real pinch."

Losing his health insurance would be a problem, he said. But he knows it will be more difficult for younger officers who just started their careers, bought their first homes and celebrated the births of their first children.

Cassidy, a grandfather who once served as executive director of the Arizona Medical Board, at 61 was the last officer to come on board before the department's hiring freeze.

He idolized his father, a longtime deputy sheriff in Illinois, and served the same small agency for one year before a full scholarship to Duke University led him to a medical career.

For years, Cassidy suffered from recurring anxiety dreams that he was on patrol - racing to a call in full uniform - only to glance down and notice he had no badge.

If he loses his salary and benefits, Cassidy said he would return to the reserve unit as a volunteer.

Phoenix is already operating with nearly 383 va- cant sworn-officer positions. After retirements and other attrition, the largest municipal police department in Arizona expects to have more than 425 vacancies by mid-year.

Scope of cuts

Police officials said they won't know the precise scope of the proposed cuts until later this week. The proposal then goes before City Council and to public hearings.

Phoenix does not plan to fill the positions of four police commanders scheduled to retire by May. Another commander and assistant chief are up for the Mesa police-chief job, and either position might not be filled if either candidate is selected.

Last year, Phoenix police cut around 7 percent - or about $30 million - which primarily targeted vacant sworn positions and some civilian-support positions. But this year leaves them much less to cut.

The department's crime lab, records unit and other divisions are operating with fewer employees dedicated to their critical back-office roles. The Computer Services Bureau is providing technical support to the department with 40 percent fewer staff members, officials say.

Construction is complete on a new precinct station in Laveen, and another precinct station near Cave Creek Road and Carefree Highway is expected to be completed by this summer, when the department plans to switch from six to eight precincts.

Police commanders delayed the process for officers to bid on new precinct positions to understand the scope of the budget cuts before any official opening, which would reconfigure the city's entire patrol grid.

"If things get worse, or the cuts affect us differently than we anticipate or anything else, all bets are off," said Phoenix police Cmdr. Rob Handy.

Ideas to save jobs

Phoenix police labor unions have already begun brainstorming ideas on compressed work schedules, furloughs and other options that could save some jobs.

"There are so many ideas coming at you, it's tough to research everything," said James Sink, vice president for the 700-member Phoenix lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police.

The discussions come at a time when the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association, which represents about 2,500 rank-and-file police, negotiates an updated contract to carry the department for the next two years.

The primary concern, aside from saving jobs, is to ensure the city is able to staff patrols to protect residents.

Rosie Gullion, a north Phoenix community activist, said her Echo Mountain Neighborhood Coalition planned to petition the city to spare police and public safety as much as possible in a time when many residents fear the down economy will lead to a spike in neighborhood crime.

"The police come first," Gullion said. "If the cuts have to be taken from other departments, so be it."

2. blueiron

blueiron

The problem is the mayor, Phil Gordon.

Instead of cutting perks for staffers and reducing 'want' programs and departments like Parks, Recreation, and Library; he came up with this idea to extort more tax dollars from taxpayers. There will soon be a ballot initiative to push for an increase in city sales tax and supported by 'community' groups.

3. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

IMPEACH the SOB.

4. blueiron

blueiron

I wish I could.

I moved out of Phoenix shortly after returning from the miltary in 1983. It was becoming another fledgling LA and my hypotheis has been validated many times.

5. imaguy3

imaguy3

Tucson PD just went through this, they were going to lay off cops as far back as fall 2006. Right at the last minute of course they figured out a way to keep them all. It would be political suicide to lay off hundreds of cops.

Some of my friends at TPD think the Union and politicians waited to the last minute to make them look like they really were trying to be helpful and fixing the problem...

6. Rabbit994

Rabbit994

You see this alot all over the country in various places. I swear the steps are in handbook for local and state politicians.

1. Attempt to raise taxes, citizens say no.
    2. Threaten the police force with crazy cuts.
    3. Let story hit the press how they are going to cut large amount of the force. Bonus if crime has been going up.
    4. Let the citizens beg you to be taxed to "save the police"
    5. Give the police minimum amount of money to get by so they can't hire anyone for 5 years despite growing population of 24%
    6. Give worthless brother some pointless title at Parks and Recreation, pay him 100000 and give out no bid contract to a company with "excellent reputation of great service at low price" who happens to be owned by your mistress.

7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Tucson is taking across-the-board unpaid furlough days instead of laying anyone off. Until next fiscal year, anyway.

8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Yeah, we're in such bad shape that a month of furloughs wouldn't save us... but we're not compromising on safety.

9. opelwasp

opelwasp ZOG/MORON LUBE

1,2, and 3 happened here in Sacramento, but 4,5, and 6 didn't. We laid of 130 and now we are looking at laying off 12-30% more deputies.:shocked: I guess 9% wasn't good enough. It's not bad enough that we had cut deep and bleed us now they want all out hemorrhaging.:steamed::soap:

10. AZ DBLTRBL

AZ DBLTRBL Out Of Order CLM

Gordon is a complete POS that needs to be shown the door. Between him, and that idiot Janet, our state is in a world of hurt right now. The last thing PHX needs is to have their police force reduced.

I was talking to my Gilbert PD buddy and he was telling me that they are going to be forced into taking furlough days. Right now, Gilbert is one of the safest cities in AZ and our police force is 2nd to none. Our cops cannot afford to have their pay reduced by as much as $300-400 a month. Yet the idiots in charge thought we needed some super expensive dog park and some baseball facility...:upeyes:

They keep this up and Gilbert is gonna become the ****hole that Mesa and Tempe and even Chandler are...and our force will be reduced to the heavy handed thugs they employ (especially in Mesa.)

He was telling me that right now, we pay about $65 per household for our police and EMS services. PHX citizens pay upwards of $300 per year for theirs. Gilbert is a pretty comfortable, higher income city and we could well afford to be paying more per household for the excellent services we enjoy. Just wait till our crime rate starts climbing and we become the next Mesa. I think there are many citizens here that would gladly pay more, but I don't think many people in Gilbert are aware of what's coming our way. After we talked, I wrote to all of our councilmen and voiced my opinion. I guess we've had like 30 tea party members show up to some council meetings and throw a hissy fit about raising the amount our city pays....and 3/4 of them don't even live here....they just own businesses here. I hope their businesses are the first ones hit by the scumbag criminals....and our response time sucks the big one for them. :steamed:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  11. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Stop giving money to worthless welfare bums(lifelong, I ain't never had or gonna get a job)!! Cops we need!! Welfare bums we don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. imaguy3

imaguy3

yeah, they are taking the furlough's... however when the citizens look at the politicians who made the decision they see"

-didn't raise taxes (although we have stupid taxes that ppl don't notice, for example the "baseball tax" when you rent a car. Last time I rented a car they charged me a tax which is supposed to support the spring training that we no longer have...)

-didn't cut police
    -saved the world...

So even though we all hate them, it looks better on the politicians to have furloughs then laying off 3 yrs. worth of cops, when you're already understaffed....

13. Hollywood D

Hollywood D

I heard a few months ago that Phoenix was bankrupt

14. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Excellent post, how has the Opression affected the welfare bums and bumetts?

15. blueiron

blueiron

Financially and morally.

16. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

There is recent talks of Oakland laying off police officers. Oakland of all places! They need allot more officers, not less. This is one of the dumbest things I have heard! :shocked:

17. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

PPD is top heavy imo. Last I knew, half the sworn guys were in positions other than patrol. They spend way too much time specializing. Hopefully anyone I know is senior enough to avoid layoffs. It's funny how it's gone from one extreme when I came out here when they were hiring like crazy and now they are laying off.

On a side note, Sgt Crump (the PIO in the article) from PPD is a cool guy. He taught my criminal code portion of the academy.

18. BULLRUNN

BULLRUNN Double Tap

Yep No pay raises or new academys here till 2013 but oh my goodness we can find all kind of money for a light rail project that runs 7 miles and will not lighten our traffic at all... and its only 98 million OVER BUDGET.... 8 million for a swimming pool in the public housing area... a 6 million for a skateboard park in the middle of nowhere....this city needs a good restructuring...or an enema which ever comes first...:steamed::steamed::steamed: we cant even buy ammo for training.... glad I pack a backup....

19. Morris

Morris CLM

Holy crap! You work for Seattle too? :rofl:

When people ask us why we are so lean in the numbers, I just shrug and ask the citizens why the city council spent millions on a waterfront park and a park that has a boardwalk that leads to a swamp, a new sign for the side of city hall, financial support for a farmer's market, city employees who make nearly as much as the chief but work 3/4 time . . .

20. dano1427

dano1427

My Dept has a huge budget issue, with talks of layoffs with some estimates being 200-300. The current contract expires in 2011, with 330 members with 30+ in will likely retire, with no plans to fill the open slots.

That's a serious blow for an 1800 member department.

One estimate has stated that we'll be down 600 Officers by 2012, and no money to replace them, with a possible exception of a Federal grant, which will yield about two academy classes (about 100 Officers at the start).