Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Searching
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If something falls, I've typically been very fast in ascertaining what it is and snatching it out of the air (The "ascertaining" part took more than a few bandages in my youth to get under control). I can't grab a housefly in flight with a pair of chopsticks, but I've been accused of having extremely quick reaction speeds. As the gray hairs start coming in, I'm still quick but I'm not as prone to automatically reacting physically to unexpected dynamics. I can still ascertain what's happening in a relatively few milliseconds, but I'm getting more into the "meh, who cares" (had to keep that GT friendly) frame of mind anymore.

Are you reflexively fast? Has age and/or wisdom affected your reaction speeds and on-the-fly decisions?

·
NRA Life Member
5,383 Posts
During an EMG (electromyogram) I was told that I am 'scary' Hyperkinetic... this WAS just before it was discovered that my neck is damaged at 3 levels.

But yes, I have caught things that make people go 'whoa' - Someone knocks a glass over, catch a pencil rolling off a desk in mid air...

It's getting a little sloppy now... I get the occasional 'Hyper Twitch' where I will swing an arm or hand too far, or not actually ask for a movement from the arm and it will twitch...

It's cool and impressive when it works. It will be interesting to see what happens once I submit to a neck micro fusion surgery.... :supergrin:

I better not loose my 'super powers'...:rofl:

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
I am a lot faster than I look.

(I'm a lot smarter than I look too :rofl:)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I grab things out of mid air all the time. Now its usually just pens/pencils or a sheet of paper that has fallen from a desk. It used to amaze my cousin. He'd flip beer bottle caps at me from across the room and I'd snatch them as they wizzed by. I don't really think about what I'm doing, I just reach out and grab it, and someone will notice and say wow, you just grabbed that out of mid air. I just smile and say "I've got the reflexes of a young cobra." Now, on the other hand, or foot, I have terrible balance and stumble over stuff all the time. Its like the upper half of my body sucks all the coordination out of the lower half.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'm so quick that I keep breaking the time/space continuim. Albert, himself, asked me to slow down because I was contaminating his E=MC*2 theorem.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
I played short stop and first base in high school/college. I had very fast reflexes. Now I am just fast "for my age." There is a big difference. I also find myself less likely to try and catch anything I do not have to catch since getting to it is one thing. getting to it without pulling something is another. :)

·
Rip Lips
7,118 Posts
Not sure if it's related, but along with having quick reflexes I also get a strange slow motion type of vision when tiny rocks are about to hit my windshield on the highway. It's probably something you all experience too but for me, it's kind of like freeze frame zooming, I can pick up a tiny pebble coming at my windshield and zoom in on it as it approaches the glass, as if it were in slow motion, it's kind of strange.

·
Go Cheese!
580 Posts
I'd like to think I have quick hands. Just this weekend I accidentally knocked a roll of toilet paper sitting on top of the tank off the toilet, and pinned it, left handed to the side of the bowl before "splashdown". That would have been a mess.

I've caught glasses getting knocked over, pens, pencils, pillows (from my GF and 5 yr old when it's pillow fight time), and other things.

I was a respectable 3rd baseman at one time, and made a few good stops.

But yeah, it seems as you get older, you start losing a step.

·
God rules all!
6,209 Posts
Reactive.

:supergrin:

·
Monkeyboy
6,286 Posts

·
Monkeyboy
6,286 Posts
You just missed it, again.:supergrin:

·
Scouts Out
23,815 Posts
It took me 4 minutes to click on the "Post Reply" button after I realized where it was.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Handling guns has taught me to let falling things fall.

It goes against how we are wired and takes a lot of conditioning.

Drawing and reacting, I'm still pretty quick.

·
Inquisitive
13,123 Posts
Unfortunately, not as good as they once were.

Due more to illness than age, my reflexes have slowed down considerably. My mind still reacts rather quickly, it just doesn't seem to get the word to my appendages quite as quickly any more. I'm lucky to get my pants off before I.....well, you get the drift.

I used to sort of pride myself over how well my body and mind reacted to most things, not any longer. I seem to have gone from Speedy Gonzales to Slow Poke Rodriguez in a lot of things.

But luckily, my trigger finger still moves just as fast.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I don't know how fast I am, but I am slow compared to my brother. We used to have a large live snake collection, rattlesnakes, copperheads, blacksnakes. My brother would find a rattlesnake or copperhead and wave his left hand in front of it and when it would strike, he caught its head with his right hand in mid-strike.

Used to scare me to death watching him use this technique. He milked the snakes and placed increasing amounts into Xs he cut into sterilized cuts on his skin and is now a registered venom anti-body donor

ETA: Once during a sports evaluation, his reactions where faster than the machine could measure at the time. His reaction time was well under 1/7th of a second where the average athlete measured 1/4 a second.

·
Obie Wan, RIP
10,923 Posts
In college I was freakishly fast. In a laboratory setting I was able to hear an audible signal and perform a physical response in .1 seconds. The professor didn't believe it until he had tested me personally. Even with the very fast reaction time I'm still not that well coordinated. In practice it has meant a very quick reaction that was not always very useful. I have still managed to impress and startle people a few times by being quick. Nearing 60 now I'm not nearly as fast but still take some people by surprise.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts