How are Hyundai/Kia doing in quality?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by emt1581, Jan 1, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I've come close to buying a Kia/Hyundai a few times recently. I mean between cash for clunkers and some of the specials they've been running, I could outright buy the car for $5K-$6K. Then in a few years when we need a new vehicle...we already have one. Just keep it in the garage and run it once a month to keep it fresh.

Anyways, I'm just curious how their quality has been lately? Getting better or worse?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. sputnik767

sputnik767

My grandfather has an '05 Elantra. Flawless thus far. My cousin has an '01 Elantra, also with no problems. I honestly have never heard of any Hyundai/Kia owner ever complain about their car. Only thing is, they lose their value rather quick, so it may be beneficial to buy used. Although, if you do that, you only get a 5 year warranty, not the 10 year powertrain warranty.

3. GAFinch

GAFinch

Hyundai has been making a big push on giving their cars a good reputation so they can become a major name. Kia, not as much.

4. GAFinch

GAFinch

The Cash for Clunkers program has expired, unless Congress renews it again.

5. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

some hellacious good deals on last years models, & quality is very much improved from a few years ago. there's a reason they gained market share, and it's an obvious one. they're good value.

6. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

This is what I'm thinking.

See I remember back when I was a little kid, Subaru's were DIRT CHEAP!! We only paid $1000 for the family Loyale back in the day. Now try calculating for inflation from the late 80's/early 90's and finding a NEW Subaru that cheap!

I think the same is going to happen with Hyundais and Kias only this time I'm old and wealthy enough to get in on the action just like my parents did years ago.

Hell, it was only 6 or 7 years ago that a brand new Elantra was only $5K or $6K. Now look what they go for!

I think Hyundai/Kia is going to be the next Subaru quite honestly. I was just curious if they are keeping up in the quality dept? I'm already sold on their warranty and customer service....best I've ever seen. My parents have a Sonata so I've seen first hand what they do...awesome customer service!!!

Thanks!

-Emt1581

7. RetDet

RetDet Millennium Member

I have an '04 and and '05 Santa Fe. They run and run and run with no problems. I've been thru Porsche (my favorite car on the planet) three times, BMW 3 times, and Audi and Lexus once each.

I got sick and tired of the high service fees and went to Hyundai. Goodbye high service costs, good bye expensive cars, hello decent car that runs like a top. I've never been sorry.

8. G26Okie

G26Okie

My cousin and aunt both have hyundai's with over 130,000 miles and they run fine and have not needed anything major aside from normal maintenance.

9. JMS

JMS 02

The best deal out there now is the Pontiac Vibe which is a rebadged Toyota Matrix, GM is running a $7k rebate on top of whatever you can negotiate with the dealer. If I didn't just buy a Sequoia, I'd be all over that.

10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Wait...are you saying the old Vibe's are identical to the Matrixes?

I love my Pontiac's engine although the car itself (electrical, lighting, window motors, etc.) is a complete POS! I won't be buying American for quite some time unless I see a MAJOR shift in quality.

-Emt1581

11. CranialCrusader

CranialCrusader

My wife has an 04 Elantra with 65k miles. We do all maintenance by the book to keep the warranty up. It has had a couple of warranty issues and our dealers have given us the run around about getting it fixed.

It burns oil and needs to be topped off with close to a quart every 1.5k or so. I caught it early on (started around 40k) as I check all my cars religiously.

Some interior rubber parts are crumbling (presumably due to sun exposure).

The service manual requested a timing belt change at 60k miles, that is pretty low miles for that type of service these days.

It works, I suppose it is an okay car for the money, although I doubt we will buy another one in the future.

CranialCrusader

12. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

See with nearly the EXACT SAME issue, my parents got quite the opposite service. Get this!!! My dad noticed some oil in the garage so he contacted Hyundai about the car leaking. This was after their bumper to bumper was expired.

Here's what they did...

Brought him a loaner, took his car, fixed his car for free, brought it back to him and took the loaner car back.

That pretty much impressed the hell out of me!!

EDIT: Now at the same time (literally a few days apart) my Pontiac which was STILL under warranty...it was discovered the factory had cross-threaded the brakes. My dealer did nothing to help me. It was only after I wrote a not so friendly letter to Pontiac/GM that they even spoke to me. They tried to play buddy buddy and make nice telling me they would "take care of me"...what a joke. They STILL refused to fix the problem. I had to write a page long letter to GM explaining the problem, give the faulty parts to GM and only then did they reimburse me for the problem THEY caused.

So on one hand there's Hyundai that required the consumer to do nothing but make a phone call. On the other hand there is Pontiac/GM who required contacting the dealer, meeting with the dealer, contacting GM several times, writing GM, providing parts to GM, and THEN getting some assistance...WHILE UNDER WARRANTY!!...Another reason GM won't see a dime of my money any time soon!

-Emt1581

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  13. JMS

JMS 02

Correct, engine/trans/electrical is Toyota, badging is Pontiac. Just like the old Geo Prizms were Toyota Corollas. Research NUMMI if you're interested.

14. CranialCrusader

CranialCrusader

Wow, I've mentioned the oil burn to dealers in two different states (in Feb. I will try a 3rd) and all I got was a shrug. It's not an oil leak, but burn, I even keep a 5 quart canister of oil in the trunk to keep it topped off.

The other warranty issues were the hood release, which was a pain to get them to fix. Now there is another problem with a solenoid in the emissions control system, but they won't touch it without a $90 "diagnostic" fee.

CranialCrusader

15. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Yeah, that's not the Hyundai I've seen/known. Reminds me more of GM.

-Emt1581

16. lanternlad

lanternlad Mythmatician

My wife and I each have Kias. We've bought Kias almost exclusively for about 10 years now. Drive them for a few years, get bored and get something new. We've owned about 4 Kias now. They just seem to be the right cars for us. Word of advice tho - if you're worried about trade in value, don't buy one new. The value on paper sinks like a stone. Buy 'em at Carmax or something, far better value. I bought my 2008 Sorento 4x4 in 2008 at Carmax with 5000 miles on it. Priced it new, it would have cost 28k. I paid 16k. The car would have lost over 10k in value if I had bought it new.

17. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Does the 10 year 100,000 mi. warranty transfer though?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

18. Cobra6

Cobra6

I don't understand what you mean by this.

I don't own a Kia, but I have looked at them

This was written in October 2008 - in General News (Kia world)
    According to the new car owner quality survey, issued by Consumer Reports, Korean vehicles (Hyundai and Kia) now rank right up there with the Japanese automakers! And results of their 2008 car reliability survey reveal that Japanese and Korean brands are the one that build the most reliable cars.
    Last week, Consumer Reports posted it’s annual Car Reliability Study that surveyed more than 1.4 million Consumer Reports subscribers, covering model years from 1999 to 2008 and ranked Kia and Hyundai, to the list of Top10 carmakers.
    According to the survey, Hyundai ranked 8th and improved it’s position by 7 spots from last year. Kia also made a major improvement and came in 10th position, meaning the brand has moved up 12 spots from last year. For the first time, both Korean automakers hit the top 10 list of the annual survey.
    Excluding Hyundai and Kia, the remaining spots in the top 10 were all taken by Japanese cars. Topping the list was the Scion, followed by Acura in second and Honda on third place. Toyota way 4th, while Lexus, the company’s luxury line, came in 5th. Nissan’s luxury Infiniti brand came in 6th, Subaru in 7th, Hyundai 8th, Mitsubishi 9th and Kia 10th.
    American and European manufacturers ranked low. The best among them was Ford, which ranked 11th. Other Ford’s brands ( Lincoln, Mercury) ranked 15th and 17th, while most of GM brands rated below average. Buick was 18th, Chevrolet 24th, Pontiac 29th, Cadillac 31st.
    The highest ranking brand among European products was the Mini at 13th place, while it’s parent company BMW came in 20th. Audi was 22nd, Volkswagen 25th, and Mercedes-Benz 27th, falling far short of their reputations.

19. lanternlad

lanternlad Mythmatician

As far as I know it does. The ones we bought from Carmax did. Its easy to check before buying, just call Kia/Hyundai with the VIN and ask them. They'll tell you.

20. leVieux

leVieux

My Son has a 5-1/2 year Kia Sorento. Has had ZERO unscheduled maintenance.
    He loves it. He has put about 80.000 miles on it since new.