How accurate is your glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mfaith, Jan 14, 2010.

1. mfaith

mfaith

My G17 shoots a 3" group with 5 shots @ 15 yards off a rest. My 1911 makes a single 1/2" hole at the same distance. Is there anything I can do to tighten up my glock group?(I mean to the gun)

2. randyc74

randyc74 Custom Holster Maker

There's quite a bit of difference in the trigger actions between a Glock and a 1911. After I moved from the 1911 platform to the Glock, there was a learning curve. I believe that more trigger time with your Glock will result in tighter groups. The Glock trigger will also smooth out over time. Some Glock owners also do their own trigger jobs on their Glocks. (Do a search for .25 cents trigger jobs) There are also some excellent after market trigger systems out there.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010

3. legends13

legends13

Well,

I was out shooting skeet with some friends 2 weeks ago, both 20ga, and 12ga. While one friend was reloading the shotgun, I pulled out my G19, and told my other buddy to put a clay in the thrower. He looked at me like, yeah, sure. But when he did, I said pull, and shot the dang thing first try... Both of our Jaws dropped:wow:. I never thought I would have hit it. We both picked our jaws up and he says, LUCK, you can't do it again. And I said, probably right, so I'm not going to try. :supergrin:

Then after about 2 more rounds with the shotgun, I say, dang, I have got to try it again. I pull out the Glock, yell pull, and :wow: I hit it again... 2 in a row!!

I should have stopped there cause I missed the 3rd shot....

So, Long story short, I would say mine is pretty darn accurate, as long as I am (which apparently I am if I do say so myself;))

4. Jeager106

Jeager106

Being old school I shoot all my handguns for accuracy at 25 yards, rested.
    Currently, in my stable, not one gun won't give me 3 inches at 25 yards EXCEPT my Rock Island 1911 .45.
    I put on an adj. sight, trigger worked to .35 pounds. Still is give about 4 to 5 inches at 25, rested. Some handloads do much better which is why I still own the thing and the fact that I have only $300 bucks in it.
    I traded a .40 Styre for a G-22 with .357 barrel (even up).
    I never shot a .357 Sig.
    I swapped tha barrels, found FMJ Sig ammo at 23 bucks box/50 at Wally.
    It is Win. White box. Cheap and generally not very good ammo, but cheap and I am left with good brass.
    7 inches was the best it would do at 25, rested.
    Time to swap off this barrel on something else.
    At a gun show I found Re, Golden saber ammo for 29 bucks box/50.
    Rested at 25 I get 2.5 inches.
    Ever hear the old saying in archery circles that the best bow build won't shoot cheap crooked arrows, but a mediocre bow will do well with good (more expensive) arrows.
    So: What are you feeding your gun?
    Wally Win White Box can give terrible groups in many guns, fair in others.
    My H&K USP .45 will shoot 2.25 inches at 25 with WWB rested.
    My M-34 will shoot WWB under 2 inches at 25 rested.
    It will shoot handloads of AA#5 well under 2 inches using good bullets.
    It seems to perform bester, so far, with WWB Rem h.p. ammo and best with handloads.
    My RIA .45 will shoot WWB 230 fmj into 5 inches. That's minute of gobblin, ergo I keep the RIA around and shoot it quite a bit.
    What helped the RIA was getting rid of the 1911 itty-bitty sights, swapped out for an adj 3 dot system and trigger at 3.5 pounds.
    The RIA can be made to perform defensive work with good sights, trigger and ammo.
    I'd love to hear others reply to this post.

5. ranger56528

ranger56528

Ive allways just shot for center mass,never really got into the 3" or under group at 15,25 yrd thing..but we are all differant I suppose.....Now with Rifle thats a whole differant thing....

6. bladenbullet

bladenbullet gun clinger

my glocks are more accurate than i am....

i have nerve damage in my back and some pretty serious shoulder surgery with some joint modifications...i can shake pretty good with a pistol but shoot well...when i have the best control over my shakes i can tear the center out of a target without an issue...otherwise my groups are more than acceptable and better than combat accuracy...my s&w 22a is almost surgical due to a nice long sight radius but my glocks are not far behind....

i'm not a group shooter...i will generally place 4 targets on the board and slide around changing up constantly so i dont get locked into one target....my goal is consistancy and all of my guns are more capable of it than i am...

7. bac1023

bac1023

It will seem much more accurate if you don't compare it to a 1911. ;)

8. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

My G27 will shoot a 1 shot group at 100yds, that I can cover with a nickel......

:cool:

9. bac1023

bac1023

I can do that at 200 yards. :tongueout:

10. Thrillhouse700

Thrillhouse700

Really hope you were out in the middle of NOWHERE when you did that.

11. Glockdude1

With a .45??? :rofl:

:tongueout:

12. VA_Glocker

VA_Glocker

I feel that my Glock19 shoots a bit to the left.... I am right handed and right eye dominant.

Does anyone have similar issue?

Cheers:cheers:
    Sandy.

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Just the other day, I shot my Glock 26, standing, two handed, at 25 yards. 10 shots in a 5" group. If I had picked the best 8 shots, it would have been a 4" group.

I don't know what the gun will do from a bench, but I wouldn't be surprised with 2" groups if I really really really really try. Or, if I can't do it, then I bet a better shooter could.

Point being, most of the inaccuracy of handguns is usually due to the shooter, isn't it?

If I use a different gun, like my .38 snubbie, my 25 yard group would be about 25". I've got to work on my shooting with it. It's me, not the gun. :)

14. Getwild2

Getwild2 Mac Aficionado

I've not tried real long-distance shooting yet but my Glock 30SF is the most accurate Glock I've ever fired. I'll have to get some real stats and report back.

15. Swerved

Swerved Not panicking

Only as accurate as I am.

16. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

My Glock 26 did, too. Just slightly. I filed the inside of the back right sight. Both to open up the sights more, and to correct for the shooting left. Problem solved :)

17. ccourt13

ccourt13 CCOURT13

Not as accurate as my Sig.

18. Glockdude1

With my G22, I can hit 4" clay pigeons off the dirt berm at the 100yd mark at the range, with 180 grain loads, (WWB).

:cool:

19. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Glock 9mm's don't seem to shoot typical ball ammo very well for accuracy. Try a quality hollowpoint bullet or Winchester WinClean.
    Winchester USA 147 JHP is very accurate in my 9mm's (cheap too!), WinClean 115 BEB is another.
    The most accurate 9mm ammo I've fired in Glocks is this.

20. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I didn't read the rest of the responses.

Here are a couple of pics, with only sights changed, shooting free standing.

G17, 5 rounds, 50 feet.
    [​IMG]

and G26, again factory, 30 ft and 45ft...
    [​IMG]

and G17, 5 rounds, 10 yards.
    [​IMG]