How accurate is the Glock (I have the answer)

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by peter3334, Aug 26, 2005.

1. peter3334

peter3334

I would like to see an additional, voluntary event at GSSF events.

Each competitor fires 10 shots at a target 25 yards away.

You can take up to 10 minutes total for your 10 shots, 5 minutes would
    probably be enough for most competitors, you could fire all 10 off in 10 seconds if that's your style.

The winner is the shooter with the best score on the target.

You can use any Glock with any factory load.

The information (statistics) obtained would be very useful for Glock
    and the ammo manufactures.

maybe there could be 2 distances, 25 yards for the long barrel
    Glocks, and a 10 yard distance for the short barrel Glocks

I can't stress how much I would like to see the results of such an event.

ph.

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I imagine that Glock and the Ammo Manufactures already have ample info of this type, most definately in relation to the G.A.P. Besides this would just add extra burden to an already over burdened staff.

3. peter3334

peter3334

So what's the answer?
    I want to know the answer!
    What size group (10 shots at 25 yds) can I expect from my Glock?

ph.

4. Carlitos

Carlitos

Good question.

A friend proposed shooting his Glock 34 w/ factory barrel in the sport of "NRA Action Pistol" ( a lot like GSSF w/ 3 fixed stages & D 1 targets, only they go back to 50 yards & there is a mover stage liek GSSF used to have).

To score well, he would need to hit the A zone at TWICE the distance of a GSSF's furthest target. Assuming he is a really good shot, is the 34 up to the task of consistently hitting the A zone of a D-1 at 50 yards?

My only 50 yard tests were w/ a glock 17 some years ago & probably not the very most accurate load for distance work; I could keep all rounds on an IPSC/USPSA/IDPA target with every single shot, but I was unable to hit the highest scoring zone 100% of the time (this was slow fire off a sand-bag). In USPSA terms, there were C and even D zone hits. What results have you found? Gun? Load? Which barrel?

Regards,

D.C. Johnson
    Team Shooters Paradise GSSF I
    www.shootersparadise.com

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

The answer is: It all depends on The Shooters Abilities. The Glock is much more accurate than most people shooting it. As long as you have the human factor pulling the trigger shooting free hand you are NOT measuring the accuracy of the Glock or the ammo.

As my GSSF Shooting friends always say:" It's not the gun or the ammo; It's the individual pulling the trigger.

6. peter3334

peter3334

So what can the best shooters do?
    With which Glock?
    With what ammo?

ph.

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Most GSSF Masters can keep 6 shots within 4 inches at 25 yards, and at high speed to boot. Clem does it regularly with WWB from WalMart. Most are using a stock G17 in Master Stock Category. Just look up the results in any GSSF match completed this year and you will see spectacular times with spectacular scores by our Masters.

8. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

About 4 inches with good ammo and a good shooter.

9. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

Using a G37, factory sights, stock trigger, Winchester 230 grain factory ammo. I shot Bullseye style, one handed at a D-1 target at 25 yards, and kept all 10 rounds in the A ring, achieving a 2" group. An extremely accurate bullet and model. 4 holes were ragged into a cluster and there were a couple of 2 shot holes with a couple of strays but all within the center of the A ring, measuring a 2" group.

I have tried the same distance and various factory ammo with my G17, G34, G22, G21 and G30 but have not been as successful. The G37 is the "most" accurate model that I have shot.

See ya on the range,
    Bobby Carver

10. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

Accuracy is measured in YARDS and INCHES, out of a Ransom rest where I come from.
    My G-37 shot just a tick over 2" groups @ 50yds out of a Ransom rest using 4.3grs of titegroup and Star's(no longer available) 185gr JHP.
    The G-37 I was shooting had a TRGraham Match Grade slide lock installed- before that it was a 6" gun @50yds.

11. BCarver

Thank you Rikki for bringing to my attention that I failed to use the distance and the size groups in more definitive measures. I rushed my previous response and didn't proof read it. Corrections have been made. The distance was 25 yards and the size group was 2".

It was my understanding that the original question inquired about "factory ammo". What factory ammo have you found to be the most accurate with your shooting in the G37? Not from a ransom rest.

Bobby

12. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

Don, Boy did you blow it you don't pull the trigger you squeeze the trigger!!!:( :( So now I no what your problem has been for the past few years. Now all we have to do is get you to squeeze the darn trigger. Don't pull it.;e ;e ;e ;e ;e

Pharaoh

13. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

Aw, Bobby, I wadn't gettin' on you-It's just that the BE crowd I run with talks yards and inches outa a Ransom.
    I liked the 200 gr speer lawman tmj as well as anything...2" at 25yds offhand was normal if I did my part- 5-6" @ 50 yds offhand- but that was with your mount and my dot.
    I know you shot 230 Winchester well- but when I shot it it just reminded me of shooting 230gr Ball ammo outa a 45acp.
    I'm still a believer that the 45 gap is (possibly) the most accurate ctg out there because of it's small pistol primer/case volume.I just have never gotten the chronograph results out of acp that I can get outa gap(But somebody else's mileage may vary)
    I can tell you this- I bought a G-17- and that thing would NOT keep the shots on a sheet of notebook paper @25yds!. I tried every hand load and every factory load I had in the house. Thought I was crazy-put your redot and mount on it and was STILL all over the place. THAT baby found a new home.

14. BCarver

Rikki,
    I will try the Lawman and see how it works, too. After my results from the Winchester, I was convinced and didn't search any farther for another factory ammo.

As for the G17, I have had the same problem. I have one now that has served me well for a long time. It is a first generation and I've been shooting it in GSSF matches for the past 6 years but recently, it will not keep a group at 25 yards within a 12" group with any kind of ammo. I changed the slide lock and the barrel and now get the same results. I haven't tried a TRGraham slide lock. Where can I get one?

I agree that the G37 is the most accurate model, though I still enjoy shooting the G21 with my .45 ACP handloads. I began shooting the .45 ACP several years ago in Kentucky and it remains to be my favorite cartridge especially shooting Bullseye.

Thanks for the input and the tips.

Have a great day,
    Bobby

15. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

we used to chuckle at the group sizes reported from a Ransom Rest.

His groups were often better than the rest.

I am sorry to say that he now "rests in peace".

I still miss him, he was a great teacher. lethal

16. BCarver

Lethal,

I've had similar experiences as your friend. My experiences with the Ransom Rest were the same. I found that I could shoot groups better than those achieved from the Ransom Rest and I never understood why. I was using 1911 and .22 target pistols when I tested the Ransom.

My long time friend and shooting companion, Ken Tapp, and I would test our loads for Bullseye and NRA Action Shooting from our Ransom Rest and then we would shoot the same load from the same gun from a prone or Bullseye hold and 90% of the time, we found that our groups from prone or offhand were better than those from the Ransom. We never credited ourselves as "better" than a machine but accepted the fact that we didn't have the Ransom Rest mounted properly or were doing something wrong.

A few years ago, I sold our Ransom Rest and all of the inserts. It still puzzles me how a person could shoot better than a machine that has less variables than the person but you, Ken Tapp and I know that it was done in the past.

I have never grouped a Glock from a Ransom Rest but the groups that Rikki has shared seem practical to me. In the case of the Glock, I believe that the Ransom "would" shoot a better group than offhand because the Ransom will provide the same trigger pull and break with the muzzle stabilized whereas shooting offhand will not provide that.

Thanks,
    Bobby

17. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i shot with a few guys that shot 9 or 10x at 75 feet in the 30 seconds GSSF gives you at the indoor matches, i can do 4 or 5 in the 10 ring at 75 feet.

18. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

I got a private msg, trying to locate TRGraham...
    TR lived in Indy about 2 years ago, and worked a couple of days a week out of a gunshop on the south of Indy called "ELMORES"...He set up at the Indy 1500 and Lexington Ky gunshows...He later moved to Lexington area, His wife's home area,she was ill with Cancer...
    It's my understanding that she passed away perhaps a year or so ago, and he moved back to his home state of Texas...
    Might contact him thru the texas glockers?
    I've lost track of him...but he had a patent on this match grade slide lock...it was definitely NOT like the stamped out piece that is std issue...
    They were like 30 bucks, and after shooting them in, they tightened up my groups...
    Bobby- we just torqued the livin' CRAP outa the RR base and grips-went over the screws 3x.

19. idpadan

idpadan Just a shooter

Bobby:

Do you have any recommendations for building a stock gun for GSSF? I'm currently shooting a 17C with a solid barrel, 100 grain factory loads (very soft shooting round). Accuracy is ok but not 2 inches at 25 yards. Is the 37 a decent option? If so, what factory round would you recommend?

Thanks,

Dan

20. BCarver

Rikki,

Thank you for your information. I'll try to locate TRGraham through some contacts in Texas. If I can locate some, do you need another slide lock?

Thanks,
    Bobby