How accurate are you with your Glock 19?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jadickson, Nov 11, 2010.

Tags:
  1. jadickson

jadickson

I have had my gen 3 Glock 19 for about a year now. It is my first firearm and I am really enjoying it. I was wondering how accurate I can expect to be with this particular pistol.

For example, here is a picture of my targets from about two weeks ago. This is from a distance of 40 feet, from a standing position. These are my homemade targets -- the circle is exactly 4" in diameter, and the X is 6".

I am looking for feedback. Thanks.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/jadickson/random/targets_10-30-10.jpg

[​IMG]

2. OkieGunNut

OkieGunNut

Looks good for a newbie. Also looks like you are putting too much finger on the trigger, providing you are right handed. Just put half the first pad on the trigger. This will help it to shoot less to the left.
    My requirement for myself is to be able to place 90% of my defense rounds in the head of a B-27 at 25yds at a rate of one round every two seconds. But, I have put a bunch of pistol rounds downrange in the last 42 years.

3. Dingus

Dingus

There is a GSSF (Glock) match at Oxford, NC on 11/20-11/21. Come on down. Info at www.gssfonline.com

4. deeHKman

deeHKman "It Is Written"

:goodpost:

5. bac1023

bac1023

I'm not overly accurate with any Glock, as I'm too used to a 1911's trigger and grip.

6. Brucev

Brucev

Your doing just fine. Just a thought though. Make some targets with a simple square aiming mark. Print it so that the square on the paper is as wide as your front sight blade at whatever distance you are shooting. Hold the front sight blade below the square so that there is a slight bit of white between the blade and the bottom of the square. The above suggestions on use of the trigger are also worth attention. Work on consistently being able to place two rounds as close together as possible. When you are satisfied with your grouping, start shooting three shot strings. Work up to 5 shot strings. Ten shot strings are very demanding. It is fun, etc., but focusing on shooting 2-3 shot strings will let you learn the mechanics of shooting and the particularities of your pistol. It will let you focus on your shooting and not on how many rounds you've fired. Enjoy your Glock! Your doing fine. And you will get better!

7. raven11

raven11

not that accurate, but still deadly

[​IMG]

8. abcomputin

abcomputin

Wouldn't this be a symptom of too little trigger finger being used, not too much? Too little would push it to the left and too much would pull to the right (for a right handed shooter).

9. JBP55

JBP55

No, if he is a right handed shooter it could be too much trigger finger or gripping too hard with the right hand and too little with the left hand.

10. powder86

powder86 SHOOT SAFE!

like the guy who made this posting, i shoot standing from about 40 feet usually, in some hills further down the valley. (it's free, so i skip the shooting range) i'd say our shooting looks pretty comparable. i think i shoot okay enough for a self defense situation, but i never have anyone who knows more about firearms than me around, and thus never seem to get much help or coaching in trigger control, sight picture, or form. i try to read as much as i can online and apply it to my own shooting. so whatever advice you give this guy, might apply to me. so keep throwing it out there. i'm desperately trying to improve my trigger control. i think it's been my biggest issue so far... that and a flinch with the muzzle when i shoot quickly. my groupings in rapid fire or double taps are not good. let the advice roll in!

looking at the targets up top again, my shooting is probably a little tighter groupings than that, but i still definitely need and want tips. i don't expect to be a marine sniper, but i want to get better in tactical shooting in the hopes to, perhaps, compete for fun some time.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  11. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I'm accurate enough to CC my G19 quite a bit. And feel pretty comfortable doing so. :cool:

12. deeHKman

deeHKman "It Is Written"

The same here, i see you have a G32 i've had mine a few weeks wow i like it a .357sig on a 19 platform with some Gold Dots.:wow:

13. Basher

Basher

I don't have any targets to post, but this past weekend I was able to keep a 3" group at 7 yards firing just a tad faster than one round a second. Out to 15 yards, my groups open up a bit if I don't slow down to a proper pace. Lots of dry fire and as much actual trigger time as you can get will help your groups. I'm still working on mine. :)

14. VT RAIDER

VT RAIDER

That was my thought as well...

I am good with respect to combat accuracy, but that is not saying much... I tend to be more accurate when under stress (defensive pistol courses and USPSA)...

15. deeHKman

deeHKman "It Is Written"

A very common practice many with trigger issues including me have. Spend 1/3 time shooting and 2/3 time dry firing that has solved many trigger issues. I dont't mean litteraly exactly but you can spend free time at home dry firing it has really helped me alot with trigger control and concentration. Plus there are some instructors on here much smarter and better looking than me.:cool:

View attachment 207444

16. mikegun

mikegun

to much trigger pull, barrel is going to the left, try squeeeeeezing trrigger softly, u will be surprised at how much more accurate u will be also use the first joint of u r trigger finger, and for a while i would get closer to the target, as u improve increse the dist from the target....imho let me add i am horribl;er shot with my G23 3rd gen, with my second gen g23 i shoot very well, must be the finger bumps...

17. MarkG

MarkG

Who gives a crap? 1 foot circle at 21 ft, rapid fire.

1 foot circle at 75 ft, slow fire. Transition as necessary.

It's not a damned sniper contest.

PS - and oh, yes, you will miss. Children, SUVs and dogs 1 mile downrange will suffer. Go ahead hero, train to be slow and dead. If you're skilled enough to be fast *and* accurate, more power to you.

18. glockguerilla

glockguerilla

Shoot at the range each week. My combat accuracy reflects my frequency of practice including moving targets and low light conditions. I practice with my SD ammo - Gold Dot 124 +P. My Gen4 19 loves eating this ammo with zero FTF/FTE after hundreds and hundreds of rounds down range.

19. cmcinc

cmcinc

I am confident with my 19, more so with my 23 and 27 though. Not bad at all, keep at it.

20. mannyCA

mannyCA

Cool target, do you have a link for the zombie print? The kids would love shooting them.:supergrin: