Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was taken from FB. It's another's opinion...

"First off let me say that

1) I am neither Republican NOR Democrat and am against ALL political parties.

2) I spent more than a few years as an EMS provider in multiple areas of that vocation - starting in 1976 as a teenager with the local volunteer rescue squad in my home community and working as both a basic and advanced provider and instructor over those many years so I AM speaking with knowledge of how diseases are spread as I had to be able to protect myself, my crew, and my patients from many different infectious diseases over the years.

So with that said to put to rest any partisan BS -

How about we play a game of "what if"?

What if the government said it was ok to blindfold people, hand them two automatic weapons some with some clips full of blanks and some full of live rounds but not tell them which was which then send them out in public where everyone else was also blindfolded so that they could not see where the ones with guns were and have those blindfolded gun holders just start firing at random.

Those firing the weapons would not know whether they had blanks or live rounds as they would be unable to see what was downrange from them and what the results of their weapon discharge was - the public who were in range of those weapons would also not know who to avoid nor whether the weapons being fired near them were full of deadly live rounds or just blanks - all they could do would be to hit the ground to take cover and pray that there were no live rounds discharged in their direction - in addition they would not know if others would be coming to potentially fire on them again and again and again nor what the live rounds vs blanks status of the weapons being fired was.

Now imagine that you were one of those with the guns and you had your blindfold removed while still standing there with those weapons in your hand and you realized that you had been firing live ammunition and that you had been placed in a public square populated with your family and friends and your live rounds had wounded and /or killed some of those close to you - and that you had to live with that for the rest of your life - just let that sink in for a moment.

That ladies and gentlemen is a mental picture I would like you to imagine - because that is what the current status of our nation is with this COVID19 virus and the way it can be spread by asymptomatic carrier vectors and with the fact that what we know about this disease is dwarfed by orders of magnitude of what we DON'T know about it.

We are going around blindfolded and potentially carrying live rounds of ammunition that we do know can kill ( and not in a clean painless way) those closest to us

If you go out without protecting others from what you might be carrying and without protecting yourself from others by using appropriate barrier devices, consistent effective sanitation practices, and proper social distancing measures then you are one of those unknown gunmen who is a threat to everyone else you come into contact with and it is up to you to take your finger off the trigger and not fire that weapon.

If you have read this and have the basic intelligence and decency to fully comprehend this absolutely NON political post then please feel free to copy and paste it and spread it as far and wide as possible."
#30#​

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Yep. I like it. Thanks for posting that.

·
King Doofus.
5,973 Posts
"What if the government said it was ok to blindfold people, hand them two automaticweapons"
This line alone not only shows political bias, but the stupidity of the comparison. By this point in the post it's pretty obvious the post is emotional as opposed to actually atempting to make an intelligent comparison.

"If you have read this and have the basic intelligence and decency to fully comprehend"
(If you don't agree, you're stupid.)

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
So we should roll around in bubbles?

People die from all sorts of communicable diseases or complications cause by them. The common cold kills, just not very many.

·
Premium Member
26,276 Posts
What? I maybe get your point. But while I normally like your posts. This was a miss.
First you should know that preventing transmission for a long time is basically impossible. I was also in EMS. If you are doing the job you get blood (and worse on you) you limit contact, clean up ASAP (without reducing care)

IMO the best was after a decade in EMS we were given a training scenario. Hand lotion to simulate “gloves”. Everyone you helped move this patient, you have their blood on your gloves, stabilize, load patient for transport” type instruction.

After loaded a black light came out. One gal clearly touched her hair many times, her face, and adjusted her rack. ;). I had marks on my right side thigh (standing up) most touched face often. I have seen it with real blood. (Mostly gals) touching hair with bloody gloves. (It’s one of those DO I tell her? Or not??). I normally got rag, towel,told them.

I’m keeping away from people. But i see in repair shops they gave up on social distancing when lifting, working together. They are exposing each other.
I bring food to some of limited mobility. I used to sit with them for a half hr, plus. Now I limit handling of foods, set it on deck table, they can get it after I leave, talk on cell. (I recommend canned stuff they dunk in sink, bit of bleach, they don’t bother). Their choice. (I don’t either from store)
Mail gets set out, I wash hands, days later I go thru mail, wash hands.
I’m very aware not to touch face until I wash hands. If hands damaged (skinned knuckles) I wear gloves.

·
NRA Life Member
66,485 Posts
"What if the government said it was ok to blindfold people, hand them two automaticweapons"
This line alone not only shows political bias, but the stupidity of the comparison. By this point in the post it's pretty obvious the post is emotional as opposed to actually atempting to make an intelligent comparison.

"If you have read this and have the basic intelligence and decency to fully comprehend"
(If you don't agree, you're stupid.)
That's what I got from it:
1. I'm hysterical
2. I'm going to pretend a very slight risk, if both you and I don't try to prevent it, is really like you firing machineguns into a crowd blindfolded - that way you won't miss the fact that I am hysterical
3. Now you're an idiot if you aren't as hysterical as me
:upeyes:

·
Registered
43,624 Posts
Whether I'm a C19 carrier or not, my public presence isn't as deadly as spraying bullets vs. blanks from my "clip".

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
First, they are mags, not clips.

Second, I believe people could detect the difference between blanks and actual live rounds.

Third, I’m a patrol sergeant who has been on the “front line” of this “pandemic”, and I’m still waiting to meet someone sick from this fifth horseman of the apocalypse.

In the interim I keep responding to ODs from young folks dying from opioid abuse. But heroin is so old school it’s no big deal. Corona, corona, corona!

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
What an automatic weapon could even cycle with "blanks?" What if an automatic weapon firing "blanks" actually did have equal perceived recoil force as one firing lead?
That always got me about firing squads,- supposedly only one or some of the rifles actually fires a lead bullet and none of the shooters can tell whether they killed the spy or not?
Marvel Comics.

·
Displaced Hillbilly
2,330 Posts
Meh. Texas is opening up. Wife and I went for a drive today in our new area (bought a new house and moved two weeks ago), and found a home decor store open. We went in, browsed, and the wife bought a few things. After, we went into a restaurant/bar and had lunch out for the first time since this ridiculous shutdown started. All without wearing a mask or gloves. I don’t feel bad about it at all.
1FB79D7C-79C8-44EC-BE70-E7759112CD68.jpeg

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
Masks or no masks. Up to the individual as far as I’m concerned. This will need to run its course just like every other pandemic over the past thousands of years.

I think herd immunity would be a good thing before the start of the next flu season. We are not going to get that through vaccination. The logistics just don’t work. We don’t have the means to vaccinate billions of people all over the world.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts