close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How about the Bible?

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by jcmios, Jan 9, 2005.

1. jcmios

jcmios

The Bible, why do so few read this book? It has all the answers and is very interesting. Don’t get me wrong I read a lot of other books for pleasure to but I always find the Bible to be a book you can read over and over and always come away with something new and helpful.

Jim

2. PSD

PSD

right on.;f

3. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

;Q In my experience you have to be inclined to it. Anyway, good for you! :)

To my mind a more pertinent question would be; 'How do you handle the apparent contradictions that one occasionally comes across while reading The Holy Scriptures?'

You know; like that famous apparent contradiction recorded at: I Samuel 17:55, ‘And when Saul saw David go forth against the Philistine, he said unto Abner, the captain of the host, 'Abner, whose son is this youth?' And Abner said, 'As thy soul liveth, O king, I cannot tell."

(Both a reading of the previous chapters, as well as logic would dictate that Saul ALREADY knew whose son David was! So, what is the point being illustrated here?) ;)

4. grubinski

grubinski Iconoclast

We athiests don't read that book. At least not after the parental/societal brainwashing period ends. :)

No offense intended to those who do, and who try to live by it instead of jamming it down the rest of our throats. "Do unto others ..." is a great rule to live by, regardless of whether any of the rest of it is true.

Mike

5. jcmios

jcmios

grubinski
    You obviously live by the right code, in doing to others as you would have done unto you. In today’s world this is applaudable, and admirable quality in anyone who lives it. So please do not refer to my beliefs as "parental/societal brainwashing period ends" because this is a great insult to me personally.

Thanks
    Jim

6. PSD

PSD

yes me to.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I read the Bible. Not because I'm religious but it is a damn good piece of literature. It shows insight into how men think back then and how men of today are being affected by it.

8. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Don't take it so personal. After all Christianity is only one of many religious beliefs. There are many that do not (or can not) believe that there is such a thing as a God and they too would be insulted by someone saying: "God Bless You".

9. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

Take thee hence to the religious forum where you can have this debate.

10. PaulBk

PaulBk Grumpy Grandpa