How about a .300 AAC pistol for home defense.....

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by benben, Aug 21, 2019.

1. benben

benben

for a first time AR owner? Strictly HD and plinking at no more than 100 / 125 yards. Thinking probably a 9” barrel. Any pros or cons to this idea (other than price of ammo)?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

9" barrel? For another 7 inches you could have an actual carbine. Do you think that 7 inches will be more helpful than the lack of a real stock will be harmful? Get a 16" barrel and a stock.

Just_plinking and benben like this.

3. GWG19

GWG19

I bought a Diamondback 300 BO. https://diamondbackfirearms.com/portfolio/db15p300b10/
    It was bought it for home defense and motorhome defense. It replaced a PS90.
    It is wearing a SBD M4 brace and an Aimpoint PRO.
    I shoot the subsonic rounds and shoot it suppressed. The 205 grain bullets are thumpers without the worry of over penetration.
    If you do not suppress it at least run a linear comp on it. I have a KAW Valley LC also that works great.
    Pros.
    It is small and easy to maneuver.
    Because it is not an SBR it goes with me in the MH.
    Commonality of AR parts.
    Variety of ammo.

Cons
    The 300 BO is one ugly round.
    Cost of Ammo.

Brass3, hogarth and benben like this.
  4. Brass3

Brass3

The 300 BO was designed for 9" barrels. Suppressed. I'm in the wait game with mine so I have a
    KV linear comp on one of mine. I built 3 at different lengths, working on another. A Law Tactical folding adapter allows me to carry one in a backpack as well.

Nine inches of barrel will give you the perfect balance of light weight and velocity with the 300 BLK cartridge. It was designed to burn in short barrels and anything more is really just excess weight. The only real question is what twist rate to go with. Both AAC and Noveske use a 1:7 twist rate, while the PWS 300 BLK upper uses a 1:8 twist. The faster twist rate is perfect for the 220 grain ballistic monsters that subsonic 300 BLK ammunition use, but for the lighter hunting rounds (like Barnes’ 110gr round) not so much. Those rounds like a slower twist, something closer to 1:10, but no one seems interested in making a barrel for that. PWS is as close as you can get right now. Even so, 1:7 isn’t terrible.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  5. jdw174

jdw174

I've got a .300AAC w/10.5" bbl. If you're planning on using this for HD, by all means get a suppressor and shoot the subsonic rounds. The muzzle blast out of mine with full power ammo is horrible even outdoors. I couldn't even imagine lighting one off inside a room without at least two layers of hearing protection in place.

Chowser, Brass3 and benben like this.
  6. Chowser

Chowser

7.5" 300blk Pistol with Sandman-K suppressor loaded with subsonic Hornady TAP ammo for HD.
    [​IMG]

7. Brass3

Brass3

Nice piece. It's ready for business alright. I see you use the single point sling and the better than sliced bread SBA-3 brace. I've got to get 3 more for my pistols, I just like each to have it's own. I built a 10.5, 7.5 and a 8.5. Have a 6.5 in the works now I saw on U-Tube with the V-7 barrel. I'm in the wait game with my stamp right now. A SilencerCO AAC 762-SD Multi 300BO & 223/556.

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Chowser likes this.
  8. Chowser

Chowser

I have the AAC 762SDN6 on my 8.5" 300blk SBR. It's a solidly built can. I built the pistol so I could take it out of state if needed without prior permission. I'm waiting on permission from work to start using the 7.5" 300blk upper on my work rifle so I can have a select-fire suppressed 300blk sbr for work use. It should be approved soon. The Sandman-K doesn't suppress as well as a full size can but it knocks the edge off which would be better than nothing.

I hear eforms are back online so I might SBR something else and maybe a do my own suppressor thing as well.

theunexpected, AdamRodgers and Brass3 like this.
  9. Brass3

Brass3

You're right there with knocking the edge off. On my 8.5" I've got the Law Tactical and the FCG is
    the TacCon MR-3. I bought it when they first came out. In the 3rd position I push out around 120 rounds per 4 mags. It took about a 100 rounds to get the hang of the trigger. When I practice with it I change out the upper, 300 rds. are to expensive to just play with:animlol:. I reload my 556 and 9's, I'll start doing the 300 when I get off my rear. I put the V-7 link up for you in my first reply.
    I went for the unlimited trust, how about you

10. Chowser

Chowser

Wow, I might look at their 6.5" barrel.

I've been using the maryland trust that's been floating around on ar15.com for a long time now. I modified it for Ohio since we have some different things for dealing with children. It's worked everytime. I'm waiting on stamp #15 now and going to submit #16 tomorrow.

I forgot to comment about the single point sling. All my SBRs and AR pistols have single point sling because my work rifle (SBR) has a single point sling so I try to keep my training consistent.

I have two rifles (16" and 18") that I use a two point sling on. But I haven't taken those out to shoot in years.

AdamRodgers and Brass3 like this.
  11. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Do you already have a different full size conventional caliber rifle or carbine?

If not I'd start there as it will be more versatile and cheaper to shoot/ greater ammo availability.

I wouldn't mind to have a .300 b.o. pistol, I wouldn't trade my 16" .556 gun for one.

AdamRodgers and Brass3 like this.
  12. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

I considered adding a .300 to the mix, but I had to draw the line somewhere on my growing AR collection. I couldn't talk myself into another caliber for just one gun. If I ever decide to go for a suppressor, I'll move to .300 then.

Brass3 likes this.
  13. Brass3

Brass3

Here's the U-Tube. I'm building mine exactly the same. I've built the lower. I use a 308 spring w/ a H-2 buffer on all of my 300's and get a 3,0 clock to about 3:30 ejection. This one has the ACT FCG which I have on a few other pieces and is a good choice in my book anyway. To many other more important things have popped up preventing me from finishing this build sooner.

View: https://youtu.be/sYaNM5VU7uM

Chowser and Just_plinking like this.
  14. Brass3

Brass3

I do, I have 3. A R.R., S&W MP sport, my first build. All are just fantastic. To me it's once you get into the pistol thing you're hooked. At least I am. You really don't need to trade any of your others. Simply build one. Figure it this way, you've already got the lower, change to the SBA-3 brace,(don't have to change tube) buffer,spring, barrel w/ gas tube & block(can get as one unit) rail.

Chowser likes this.
  15. Brass3

Brass3

Check out this new one from V-7. To go with on one until my suppressor stamp gets here. I've got a KAK Linear comp. on one.
    https://darkhourdefense.com/shop/LINEAR-

Here's one with a 3-Gun break:
    upload_2019-8-25_16-35-16.png

16. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I don't understand the appeal. It seems like quite the expense to use subsonic ammo to get a little bit better than .45 ACP results... or to use super sonic to get 7.62x39 results? Is it just the ability to use a shorter barrel?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Judgemax, TheDreadnought and Brass3 like this.
  17. Brass3

Brass3

Speaking for myself, it just is what it is I guess. You can build or buy the two mentioned in pistol type also as you well know. Not to bad if you reload. Today's thing is the pistol/SBR I guess. A advantage with a pistol if you have the C.C.P..:couch:

18. syntaxerrorsix

Being a cool new toy is reasonable enough for me if the ammo were more cost effective. I don't reload so maybe that's where my thinking is deficient.

[email protected] and GlockFan7 like this.
  19. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

I don't have a .300 yet and don't know if I ever will, but the SBR/pistol format handles like a dream. I have a .223 AR pistol with a 10.5 inch barrel with a red dot. For 25 yards +/- or for home defense, it's quick to get on target. Since .300 AAC was built with the shorter barrels in mind, it works. The added plus, is if I ever wanted to upgrade my .223 to .300, it would only require a barrel swap and replace the muzzle device. I can see the appeal, but I'd only consider it if I ever decide to spring for a suppressor.

20. syntaxerrorsix

I've got an AR pistol as well. However a suppressed .300ACC shooting subs has nowhere NEAR the potential of 5.56, it's more like .45ACP. It's much closer to shooting a PCC and not even remotely affordable (to me) for practice.

I get the feeling a lot of folks thing they are still talking about rifle ballistics when discussing suppressed sub 300 and that just isn't the case.

dkf, TheDreadnought and fistagon like this.