GlockTalk Forum banner

101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Just wanted to expand on this particular point - you're of course correct in an American context, at least up to a certain level (and then again above a certain very high level). All of these things are culturally correct and appropriate here.

If you're Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos or Warren Buffet, you can do whatever you want, and it's just quirky.

If you're an up and coming go-getter, with the right personality, you can wear your Swatch and a degree from a university that ends in 'State' and go make millions by going around the system. (Just to be clear, I'm not of the 'right' background, I grew up too poor for Swatches, I barely had Casio money, and I went to a State university).

in between those, there are plenty of situations where tiny things will get you knocked off the path, and you'll probably never know that's why. There are huge sections of the US high-end economy where having the 'right' background, education and presentation are simply the basic table stakes to participate. The only way around that is to have made enough money that those guys are coming to you, instead of you coming to them.

Just hard facts, you can get around these barriers by forging your own success, but they'll never give 99+% of people even the chance to come up through their system unless you're the 'right' kind of people.

Our system is still more flexible than most in the world, but it's nowhere near as open as we like to pretend.
i didn’t have no fancy college degrees, not even from state colleges. It was US Army School of Hard Knocks. Even back then I realized that when you open up your mouth, you better have tabs on your shoulder and wings on your chest before most people would take you seriously.

they don’t have your personnel files sitting in front of them to show your OER/NCOERs. All they have to go on is your appearance, so you’d better look good. Then you can win them over with your competence.

my siblings are the ones with fancy educations.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Easy for you to say when your livelihood isn't on the line. If wearing an ugly ass and expensive watch once in a while means giving me a slight edge in winning a contract with the Chinese businessmen then that's what I'd do.

You don't do business with the people you like. You do business with the people that have money to spend, and you want them to spend that money on you.
that's interesting. I've never had the Chinese look at my watch. On the other hand, the Japanese ALWAYS do. For some juxtaposition, here's a pic of me with a Japanese Seiko senior VP while in China, while I was wearing a Swiss (Omega) watch. :)
Roger and seiko.jpg

·
Registered
946 Posts
that's interesting. I've never had the Chinese look at my watch. On the other hand, the Japanese ALWAYS do. For some juxtaposition, here's a pic of me with a Japanese Seiko senior VP while in China, while I was wearing a Swiss (Omega) watch. :) View attachment 836540
I haven’t dealt with any Japanese companies yet. But if I were to swing that way in the future, I’d make sure to buy and wear a Grand Seiko to help schmooze their nationalistic pride.

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
I haven’t dealt with any Japanese companies yet. But if I were to swing that way in the future, I’d make sure to buy and wear a Grand Seiko to help schmooze their nationalistic pride.
Might be a good tactic with the Chinese (if they made good watches), but with the Japanese? Don't. Japanese are different. They'll respect you more if you show pride in your own heritage, than if you play suckass simp for theirs.

·
Registered
15,186 Posts
Easy for you to say when your livelihood isn't on the line. If wearing an ugly ass and expensive watch once in a while means giving me a slight edge in winning a contract with the Chinese businessmen then that's what I'd do.

You don't do business with the people you like. You do business with the people that have money to spend, and you want them to spend that money on you.
Most people are simply not going to understand. I used to amongst a bunch of other things aggregate money for oil deals. Being able to move from bespoke outfits, fine cars and fine watches to flip flops, cut offs, safari shirt, sunglasses and sunscreen was part of the deal.

·
Cheese?
9,451 Posts
I would certainly sign on to a revolution that abolishes the business suit. (cuz I have to wear one, and it sucks) But the craft of making fine mechanical timepieces is something all gearheads, gun-nuts, and gizmo freaks should appreciate and want preserved.
I love the idea that a purely mechanical gizmo will count out 86,400 seconds a day, and only be off by one or two seconds at the end of that, regardless of whether it's hot or cold out, whether I'm sitting at my desk or banging a hammer... it's damn near a miracle.

·
Registered
15,186 Posts
Just wanted to expand on this particular point - you're of course correct in an American context, at least up to a certain level (and then again above a certain very high level). All of these things are culturally correct and appropriate here.

If you're Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos or Warren Buffet, you can do whatever you want, and it's just quirky.

If you're an up and coming go-getter, with the right personality, you can wear your Swatch and a degree from a university that ends in 'State' and go make millions by going around the system. (Just to be clear, I'm not of the 'right' background, I grew up too poor for Swatches, I barely had Casio money, and I went to a State university).

in between those, there are plenty of situations where tiny things will get you knocked off the path, and you'll probably never know that's why. There are huge sections of the US high-end economy where having the 'right' background, education and presentation are simply the basic table stakes to participate. The only way around that is to have made enough money that those guys are coming to you, instead of you coming to them.

Just hard facts, you can get around these barriers by forging your own success, but they'll never give 99+% of people even the chance to come up through their system unless you're the 'right' kind of people.

Our system is still more flexible than most in the world, but it's nowhere near as open as we like to pretend.
100%.

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
Most people are simply not going to understand. I used to amongst a bunch of other things aggregate money for oil deals. Being able to move from bespoke outfits, fine cars and fine watches to flip flops, cut offs, safari shirt, sunglasses and sunscreen was part of the deal.
Hookers 'n blow part of that contract? :dancingbanana:

Reactions: .264 magnum

·
Registered
10,129 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Sigh-This freaking thread turned sideways...OP asked for Pepsi selections. Damn, give him Pepsi selections. I wear watches for me. I have a great collection for me. Just ordered a Bremont for me...The OP wants a freaking Pepsi for him...Give him opinions for the ask...Just damn...

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
Sigh-This freaking thread turned sideways...OP asked for Pepsi selections. Damn, give him Pepsi selections. I wear watches for me. I have a great collection for me. Just ordered a Bremont for me...The OP wants a freaking Pepsi for him...Give him opinions for the ask...Just damn...
Rolex.

Not kidding. I hate homage watches. Same as "kit cars."

Could I afford a Rollie Pepsi GMT right this minute? Nope. (Just bought something, the expendable fund is expended atm.) But I'd keep saving till I could, if that's what I had to have.

Legit alternative though: Tudor Black Bay GMT (also a "Pepsi"). It's a Rolex subsidiary. --- but for the price of the Tudor, I'd rather have a Seamaster or Planet Ocean

·
Registered
914 Posts
View attachment 836616 I wouldn't dive, swim, or do the dishes with this one, but i sure am transfixed by the appearance
Oooh! I like it!
Vintage and model number if you can please.
ETA I think it’s a Pogue Chrono from the 70’s maybe?
I’m a sucker for Pepsi watches. Seiko specifically.

·
Robby The Guy
901 Posts
Oooh! I like it!
Vintage and model number if you can please.
ETA I think it’s a Pogue Chrono from the 70’s maybe?
I’m a sucker for Pepsi watches. Seiko specifically.
1977 Seiko 6139B. Quite sure it's a rebuild of some sort but i don't really care because the condition is as like new as you can find for the price.

101 - 120 of 150 Posts