How ‘bout a Watch Question?? What’s a Great Looking PEPSI Diver or Chrono??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nalapombu, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

You’ll have to ask Omega.

Deanster likes this.
  2. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

Seconds and hours but no minutes?That doesn’t make any sense. That’s almost totally useless. Are you sure that’s not some Chinese knock off?

3. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

4. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

yeah, I went into an authorized omega dealer to buy a knockoff.

the minute hand is shown. It covers up the hour hand on the right mini-dial. The left mini-dial is the typical second hand. The big second hand is the actual chronograph second hand.

I bought the watch because it looks cool. Seriously, who actually uses the chronograph function? The smart phone timer is a lot more accurate and easy to use.

Deanster likes this.
  5. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

As noted above, the right hand subdial has two hands on all of Omega's 9000-series chronograph movements (I love my Speedmaster 9300).

not my pic, but it shows the dual hands on the subdial nicely.

[​IMG]

I don't like it quite as much for actual timing as the traditional three-subdial setup, because it can be challenging to rapidly determine whether you're at three vs. four minutes elapsed, for example.

On the plus side, Omega's movements are designed to allow you to constantly run the chrono movement (most chronos won't tolerate that for long), and if you start the chrono at midnight or noon in any given time zone, you effectively have a separate set of watch hands for that time zone, which is handy (ha ha!) as heck when traveling - right up until you want to use the chrono to time something.

Here's a good write up of the Seamaster Pro Chrono with the 9900 movement, tons of pics... It's a great watch, though as always with Omega, you pay for it.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/omega-seamaster-300m-chronograph-52mondayz-week-9-2020/#gref

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  6. Deanster

I use the chrono or the timing bezel on dive watches all the time - for cooking, parking, how long my pale pale Scandinavian self has been out in the sun, how long I've been swimming or working out, etc. It's actually one of the things I miss most when I wear my Apple watch or something without either chrono or bezel.

It is a damn cool-looking watch, though, and everyone gets to use theirs however it works best for them, of course. With BOTH chrono and bezel, you have so many options!

Redeemed likes this.
  7. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

I wasn’t being a smart ass. Thank you for the reply. I’ve never seen that layout before.

8. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

I can see the bezel being used for simple timing function like you said, or to monitor how long you have left in your parking meter. To me personally the chronograph function is rather unnecessary. It's cool to look at and braggable but that's about it to me. I'm not smart when it comes with money management - I have problems with spending money on non-essential craps. If I come across something that I like, and I can afford it, I'd buy it regardless of practicality.

I bought the Patek Philippe Nautilus because when I do business meetings with Chinese nationals they always look at your wrist to see what you wear, and apparently my Rolex Submariner wasn't cool enough any more. Now, that damn watch is sitting in my safe more than anything else. It's braggable but it's ugly as sin. It only comes out whenever I have to do a meeting with the big wigs. Hell, I don't even like the Submariner but I bought it because that was expected. Same thing with the Piaget Polo S. But Omega...Omega watches are cool and I buy them for my own personal pleasure.

Grabbrass and Deanster like this.
  9. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

Wow. You might be the biggest pushover I’ve ever heard admit it. Get some self confidence and wear what you like. You obviously have the money. I mean no offense but Jeez.

10. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

The chronograph function is great when you don’t want to futz with the bezel. You don’t have to even look at it. Just press the button and keep on going. Very handy. Better yet, an elapsed time bezel and chronograph on the same watch. Even handier. Great when you can’t mess with your watch in front of people like in a meeting. Click it and look later to see where you are.

11. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

Easy for you to say when your livelihood isn't on the line. If wearing an ugly ass and expensive watch once in a while means giving me a slight edge in winning a contract with the Chinese businessmen then that's what I'd do.

You don't do business with the people you like. You do business with the people that have money to spend, and you want them to spend that money on you.

.264 magnum and Deanster like this.
  12. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

I didn’t mean to sound the way I did. I apologize for my raw delivery. But if they are judging your performance by what’s on your wrist then you aren’t very impressive. I say again, wear what you like and have the confidence to do so. I wear a Swatch from when I was in 7th grade half the time because I like it. Me, not my watch makes the impression. I get what you are saying, I just think you are wrong. Best of luck doing what others feel is best.

13. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

I can be the best logistician ever walk the Earth but you think that anybody; the Chinese, the Euros, the South Americans, hell, even the Americans, would give me the time of the day if I were to show up to a meeting wearing JC Penney suit, Sears shoes and Timex on my wrist?

You do what you do with your business and I'll do what I do with my business.

Hobo chic may work with the tech business, but it doesn't work elsewhere. Elsewhere, the companies like to do businesses with successful companies whose representatives look like they're successful.

OdinIII and Deanster like this.
  14. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

Best of luck. I’m just trying to give you some support. You don’t need the extra bling if you are good at what you do. Rolex is perfectly acceptable as a decent watch. So is a Swatch if you have the personality for it. You don’t. So you need to make up for it with more expensive shiny things. That’s too bad.

15. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

Yeah, I'm crying my way to the bank right now with my inferior skills and inferiority complex.

I don't need luck. I already got the bling to get me through the door, then my mad skillz earn the cheddar. That's the difference between you and me. You have little if any business acumens.

I can't just waltz in while wearing Swatch, Sears suits and shoes, flop my resume down or my company's records down and the clients would simply throw money at me. There are five hundred thousand other "Me's" out there trying to make a buck with the clients. I gotta dress like the winner that I am and talk like the winner that I am, then once I win the contract, I gotta show them the winner that I am.

That's how things roll in the big dollars business world. I don't own a house in LA, having a small getaway in New Mexico and building a new house in Dallas, sending my kids to private school and keeping my wife happy by being a loser.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  16. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

LikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLike

View: https://youtu.be/UAFb37c5voc

Colt38SuperDude likes this.
  17. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

I am very impressed by Omega's new in-house movements from both engineering and production point of views. Even the aesthetics is spot on.

Grabbrass and Deanster like this.
  18. Deanster

Colt38Super is in the right on this one.

As a German colleague of mine said "If you're buying something from us, we'll of course speak English. If you want us to buy something from you, dann mussen wir Deutsch sprechen"

If you want people from other countries to give you their money, you need to send them whatever signals they're looking for that you're the right kind of person to work with.

Heck, there are lots of places where a company would MUCH rather be seen to be doing business with the right kind of partners than working with someone shabby who would do a much better job.

It doesn't make much sense to Americans, and the people asking Americans for giant piles of money will behave according to American expectations, or they're not going to get the contract.

Some places (China) they'll look at your wrist first, and it's a pass-fail test - if you don't have the right category of watch for the level of person you're meeting, it doesn't much matter what else happens - you're not the right class of partner.

Other places, it's shoes - if you're in a place where Shoes Matter, your bespoke handmade wingtips (or whatever is appropriate) are the table stakes that show you deserve to be there.

It's not enough to win a contract by itself, but it's a necessary element of getting the opportunity to be taken seriously, along with your high-end suit, watch, haircut, and correct local business culture attitude.

HarlDane and Colt38SuperDude like this.
  19. Deanster

Just wanted to expand on this particular point - you're of course correct in an American context, at least up to a certain level (and then again above a certain very high level). All of these things are culturally correct and appropriate here.

If you're Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos or Warren Buffet, you can do whatever you want, and it's just quirky.

If you're an up and coming go-getter, with the right personality, you can wear your Swatch and a degree from a university that ends in 'State' and go make millions by going around the system. (Just to be clear, I'm not of the 'right' background, I grew up too poor for Swatches, I barely had Casio money, and I went to a State university).

in between those, there are plenty of situations where tiny things will get you knocked off the path, and you'll probably never know that's why. There are huge sections of the US high-end economy where having the 'right' background, education and presentation are simply the basic table stakes to participate. The only way around that is to have made enough money that those guys are coming to you, instead of you coming to them.

Just hard facts, you can get around these barriers by forging your own success, but they'll never give 99+% of people even the chance to come up through their system unless you're the 'right' kind of people.

Our system is still more flexible than most in the world, but it's nowhere near as open as we like to pretend.

HarlDane and .264 magnum like this.
  20. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

I would certainly sign on to a revolution that abolishes the business suit. (cuz I have to wear one, and it sucks) But the craft of making fine mechanical timepieces is something all gearheads, gun-nuts, and gizmo freaks should appreciate and want preserved.

Deanster, Bus007 and Colt38SuperDude like this.