GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
One thing about the Seiko Turtles. They look odd in pictures to me but look great on the wrist. I was apprehensive when my Wife told me what she got me for Christmas but was very happy once I started to wear it.

·
Registered
10,129 Posts
What’s up with the Rolex drought? Is it Covid? I was browsing at a ‘gray market’ site earlier today and noticed he had (for example) an unworn no-date Sub from early 2020, priced at about 150% of MSRP for a new one. That’s insane.
Rolex is trying to reposition higher in the market and is intentionally limiting the supply of their stainless sport watches. Unless you are well connected with an authorized dealer and have made multiple purchases from them it is impossible to find a new one at MSRP. This has sent the gray market into a frenzy and driven prices through the roof.

·
Registered
10,129 Posts
This article explains some of my opinion. If you want a luxury watch and can afford one, knock yourself out, but as I and a lot of others here have pointed out, you can have just as nice and durable watch on your wrist for a fraction of the price. I told you the Rolex fanboys hate it when you point this out.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-prices-past-60-years-revealing-analysis/
I don't think there is any doubt that the price of a Rolex, especially the true market price, includes a substantial premium because it is a status symbol, but that's how luxury goods work. Rolex is especially good at playing that game. That said, a Rolex and an Invicta are in completely different leagues when it comes to materials, engineering, craftsmanship and design. The Rolex isn't $10,000 better, but it's better.

My problem with Invicta isn't the quality; you can get a decent watch at a decent price. Their Pro Diver is a nice Submariner homage with a good Seiko movement for under $200. My issue (other than their absolutely hideous original designs) is the BS overinflated MRSP that they then discount substantially. They try to convince the buyer that they are getting a $1,200 watch for $179. In that price range I think you get a nicer, better made watch from Seiko (for now, they are trying to reposition in the market), Citizen and Orient without the gimmicky pricing and fake heritage Invicta tries to peddle.

·
Registered
10,129 Posts
If you're looking for a great value, you really can't beat Orient. With Seiko discontinuing the SKX divers, the Orient Mako II is one of the best value divers out there. Jomashop has them for $139, you won't find a better watch for less than that.

Reactions: Deanster

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Can I ask what year you watch is. My 1979 Explorer is totally different.

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
My vote is for the Seiko turtle re-issue.
They put out a number of turtle reissue models in the last couple years, but the 'real' one is SLA033. It's a premium build version of the original 60's-70's 6105. Ceramic bezel, Grand Seiko derived movement, sapphire crystal, $4250msrp.

I like it, but not that $$ much. But if Seiko gave the exact same treatment to the 6138 UFO, yeah I could maybe talk myself into dropping $4k on that. Love that thing.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
The Seiko Turtles definitely do wear well - an SRPC91 was my first automatic watch 'hit'; I now have several more Turtles, a Samauri, and a few Orients. None are Pepsi colored, but all are (IMO) very nice watches.

Now, must resist revisiting the watch thread....

-Pat

·
Cheese?
9,451 Posts
They put out a number of turtle reissue models in the last couple years, but the 'real' one is SLA033. It's a premium build version of the original 60's-70's 6105. Ceramic bezel, Grand Seiko derived movement, sapphire crystal, $4250msrp.

I like it, but not that $$ much. But if Seiko gave the exact same treatment to the 6138 UFO, yeah I could maybe talk myself into dropping $4k on that. Love that thing.

Yeah, those are mighty sweet watches, but I'm much more likely to spend $100 to have someone put an aftermarket sapphire crystal on my $200 SRP777 Turtle than drop more than I'd spend on an Omega Seamaster Pro...

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I'm a huge fan of bringing life back to things like that, especially if you loved it!

I know NOTHING about this company, but they're what came up when I googled Glycine airman repair, and they have a page dedicated to repairing vintage Airman... should give you some idea what costs might be, and perhaps you can find someone similar or closer, or do some research and find someone you'd feel comfortable with?

https://www.nevadawatchrepair.com/glycine-airman-price-list.html
Thanks for the link. I will give them a call to see about sending it to them. I'm trying to rationalize some of those repair prices. When I bought the watch in 1967, the retail price was $99. I paid $35us for it at the British Fleet Club (similar to our PX) in Hong Kong. :crying:

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
If you can't swing the Rolex, have a hard look at the Invicta. Personally, I think Rolex is way overrated. The price has been artificially inflated over the years because somehow it became a status symbol. It irritates the Rolex fanboys to no end that there is a robust automatic watch on the market that is just as durable and accurate as a Rolex for under $100.

https://www.amazon.com/Invicta-Diver-Collection-Automatic-Watch/dp/B001CTI5SM
Well, you convinced me. I ordered one last night...it has already shipped and due for delivery on Wednesday.

Reactions: tarpleyg

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
Rolex is trying to reposition higher in the market and is intentionally limiting the supply of their stainless sport watches. Unless you are well connected with an authorized dealer and have made multiple purchases from them it is impossible to find a new one at MSRP. This has sent the gray market into a frenzy and driven prices through the roof.

That blows. Not just because their line is already overpriced, but because 'upscaling' the brand is just going to drag everyone else's prices along for the ride.

Kinda moots my personal Sub vs. Planet Ocean debate. When there was a 20% or so price difference between them, it was worth mulling. Not anymore.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Well, you convinced me. I ordered one last night...it has already shipped and due for delivery on Wednesday.
Well, that didn't work out as planned. I just finished returning my new Invicta Pro Diver. Beautiful watch and I loved it except for one little flaw....I couldn't keep it running. It occasionally lost 10-20 minutes each night while I was sleeping. On three different occasions, it was stopped completely when I awakened.

I asked for a refund instead of a replacement watch; so I am on the hunt again.

Reactions: Bus007 and Deanster

·
Registered
924 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
The Coke/Pepsi color configuration doesn’t do much for me.

I do have a few decent Swiss watches but I must admit that I’m too chicken to take them diving. I just completed my OW cert and I bought this Seiko as a dive watch, though my instructor said there’s no point in using a dive watch if you use a dive computer.

I just thought it’d be cool to wear a dive watch while diving although the computer would do the real calculations.

whomever this fnfalman person is, if he takes his Rollies diving then much credits to him.

my one and only Rolex sits in the safe most of the time. I favor the Omega for daily wear more.

anyway I like the color of this Seiko. Rather reminds me of the Submariner LV that came out 12 years ago or so.

07C21601-A1A1-41B8-9CB2-FCD7F9574C81.jpeg
934CCA1E-5066-44FA-A349-A7D875A2F7C5.jpeg

61 - 80 of 150 Posts