How ‘bout a Watch Question?? What’s a Great Looking PEPSI Diver or Chrono??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nalapombu, Sep 12, 2020.

1. porschedog

porschedog

I have a Rolex Pepsi GMT, the original style, not the GMT II as I can’t find the new style anywhere. My AD rolls his eyes every time I ask.

Deanster likes this.
  2. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

Steinhart makes a nice one, it uses an eta 2824 movement and has a sapphire crystal, and you can also get them with a ceramic bezel. I have everything from rolexes to invictas, if your wanting to keep it less than $200 go for the invicta pro diver, I wore mine in the ocean, and pool our last beach trip, and it did fine. They come with a nh35a seiko movement which is pretty bullet proof, and keeps great time. Jump up to the $500 range and you have the steinhart, up from there the $1,000 plus range, there’s Tudor, and some used Rolex subs. If your buying used make sure you have your jewelry put it on a timegrapher to make sure the BPH is within spec. Good luck on your hunt!!!

3. fx77

fx77 CLM

Good old days about 1974 bought this watch for 525$...which was one month's net salary :)
    No Mas!

4. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

I'm a huge fan of affordable watches, and at least half my collection is Seikos. I'm usually the guy pointing out that once you get over about $500 for a watch, you're mostly adding jewelry value, rather than function value, and I accept that 100% when buying nicer watches.

Even with all that said, I need to part ways with you on a couple points here. I'm an Omega guy, I don't own a Rolex, in part because they make it damn hard to buy a stainless sport watch. Rolex is indeed a watch with a brand and reputation, and you pay for that, of course. But they're made incredibly well, they've earned that reputation, and unlike nearly any other brand on the planet, they hold value like crazy.

Invicta is a decent watch for what you pay for it, but they're not particularly well made, the movements aren't especially reliable or robust, and they're often not really worth repairing.

There are a bunch of affordable brands that I think do a much better job on quality, Seiko, Citizen, Orient, etc. are all outstanding at similar price points.

I usually say that if you put a $150 Seiko SKX007 on your wrist, you can't find a dive watch that will do one ounce better in the water. There absolutely are better built watches, but you need to pay 4x+ more to get something meaningfully better.

I wouldn't take an Invicta in the water for SCUBA... I just don't have the confidence in them.

HarlDane, Cubdriver and Budqweiser like this.
  5. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Okay. See how we all have different opinions and it’s fine? You want to spends thousands on a watch? Fine, but let’s not kid ourselves it’s because it’s THAT much better because it isn’t.

6. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

What’s up with the Rolex drought? Is it Covid? I was browsing at a ‘gray market’ site earlier today and noticed he had (for example) an unworn no-date Sub from early 2020, priced at about 150% of MSRP for a new one. That’s insane.

7. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

This article explains some of my opinion. If you want a luxury watch and can afford one, knock yourself out, but as I and a lot of others here have pointed out, you can have just as nice and durable watch on your wrist for a fraction of the price. I told you the Rolex fanboys hate it when you point this out.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-prices-past-60-years-revealing-analysis/

Deanster likes this.
  8. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

IMG_20200913_164311869_HDR~2.jpg I believe that pepsi gmt in the first post uses the same movement as my explorer ii

kiser64 and Deanster like this.
  9. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

High end watches are jewelry. Simple as that. Well, except that they hold value better than most jewelry. The timekeeping function is real, but that’s not why people buy them. My solar atomic g-shock is 100 times more accurate than my Datejust, no contest. The Datejust is 100 times better looking and aesthetically pleasing to own, no contest.

kiser64, Deanster and Bus007 like this.
  10. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Oh, we don’t disagree. That’s my point.

11. Ftttu

Ftttu

[​IMG]
    Here is a nice one:
    Seiko Prospex Diver’s Solar Chronograph 200M SSC617 SSC617P1 SSC617P Men’s Watch

One of the things I like about this one is that it is solar.

cruz lee and Bus007 like this.
  12. Deanster

Did you actually read my post?

I spend most of it defending affordable watches.

I do think Invicta vs. Rolex is a tough comparison, though now that more Invictas have Seiko movements in them, they've gotten way better.

I wouldn't actually dive with a $70 Invicta 'Pro Diver', but it's a hell of a watch for $70.

My final point was that a $150 Seiko 007 is as good a SCUBA dive watch in any functional way as any watch on the planet.

The Rolex is wildly NICER, but it's not any more functional, and it's a great question whether any amount nicer can make the Rolex worth 50x+ the cost. You're paying a LOT for every bit nicer the Rolex (or Omega, or whatever) is.

Fnfalman made a point of actually diving with his Rolexes, I tend to leave my Omegas in the watch box when I dive, taking a Seiko or my Sinn UX instead - just no reason to tempt the watery fates, ya know?

Here's a solid review of the Invicta Pro Diver, I think they're very fair and complementary, though I don't think they highlight enough how much better the Pro Diver is than anything else you can buy for $70.
    https://twobrokewatchsnobs.com/invicta-pro-diver-review-8926ob/

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Bus007 likes this.
  13. The Father

The Father

Just like you drive what you can afford, wear the watch you can afford

Deanster likes this.
  14. napp32

napp32

I have an original Glycine Airman that I bought in Hong kong while on R&R from Vietnam in 1967. It stopped running after about ten years; and resides in my sock drawer now.

I loved that watch. I really should take it somewhere and see if they can restore life to it. Still have the original wooden box that it was in when sold.

Deanster likes this.
  15. Deanster

I'm a huge fan of bringing life back to things like that, especially if you loved it!

I know NOTHING about this company, but they're what came up when I googled Glycine airman repair, and they have a page dedicated to repairing vintage Airman... should give you some idea what costs might be, and perhaps you can find someone similar or closer, or do some research and find someone you'd feel comfortable with?

https://www.nevadawatchrepair.com/glycine-airman-price-list.html

16. OdinIII

OdinIII

I wear a PADI Turtle everyday. It’s much more comfortable than my Orange Monster.

[​IMG]

Bus007, drumgod, Budqweiser and 2 others like this.
  17. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I’ve been wearing the same Rolex Submariner daily for 35 years. One rebuild about 7 years ago. I was a young Marine who needed a better watch after an exercise went bad and people got hurt because our $14 Timex watches were out of sync after only 72 hours.

I don’t really have an issue with the price. Even though there are great watches at a fraction of the price.

People think Rolex is a Swiss company. It is buried in layers of bureaucracy but it was a British company. Now owned by a family trust in Switzerland. They had to move manufacturing to Switzerland just after they opened because of British taxes. Then because of taxes again, they became a charitable foundation instead of a purely profitable concern.

So when you buy a Rolex you are contributing to one of the largest private charitable trusts. They are heavily involved in sports, arts and the environment.

Deanster likes this.
  18. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

If I wear a watch it's a two tone date just Rolex. Don't wear one often and it is the only one I own. Working in a jewelry store years ago has jaded me.

Batesmotel and Deanster like this.
  19. Firecop203

Firecop203

I bought this one in the late eighties.

upload_2020-9-14_6-39-35.jpeg

Bus007, kiser64 and Budqweiser like this.
  20. drumgod

drumgod

My vote is for the Seiko turtle re-issue. The PADI posted above is cool. I have a 007 pepsi but find turtle's case more comfortable despite being slightly larger. Turtle is in the middle:
    [​IMG]

Deanster, kiser64 and Budqweiser like this.