close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Houston Shooting

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by mikeivan, Jan 11, 2010.

1. mikeivan

mikeivan

Well, this subject comes up now and then, lethal force in defense of property, from the Houston Chronicle:

A 39-year-old man shot and killed a teenager he suspected was stealing a TV from his northeast Houston home this weekend, police said.

The homeowner woke up around 6:30 a.m. Saturday when the security alarm sounded in his two-story townhouse in the 2900 block of Baer, just outside downtown Houston.

When he looked out his second-floor bedroom patio door, he saw the suspect, identified by police as 19-year-old Marcel Jaquan Simpson, carrying away his television set.

The homeowner fired shots from his bedroom balcony. Simpson dropped the TV and jumped the fence, collapsing on the other side, authorities said.

The homeowner called 911 and Simpson was taken to Ben Taub General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The homeowner, who spoke on the basis on anonymity, was left shaken and frightened.

“I didn't want him to die,” he said. “I didn't want him to get away, but I didn't want to kill him either.”

Family members of Simpson did not wish to comment.

The homeowner said that he had been hesitant about purchasing a firearm, but bought a gun after his residence was burglarized on New Year's Eve.

“I started thinking what would I do if I was here without any protection,” he said. “What would I do then?”

Similarities in break-ins
    The man believes Simpson may have been the same person who broke into his home Dec. 31 because of similarities between the incidents.

The burglar in that case also broke into the man's home in the early morning hours and tried to get in through the French doors in his living room.

He didn't make it into the house, stealing only a small table on the patio.

“By the time I went downstairs he was long gone,” he said. “I think the alarm scared him off that time.”

Although the man has only lived in the town home a year, he said he is considering moving. He said he is still trying to process all the events of the shooting.

“It's really all a shock right now,” he said.

“Different emotions just keep hitting me.”

Girlfriend arrested
    Shortly after the shooting, Simpson's girlfriend, Sabrina Walker, 20, arrived at the scene. Police arrested her for possibly acting as the getaway driver.

Walker was charged with burglary of a habitation. She is currently in Harris County Jail on $20,000 bail and is scheduled to appear in court today.

No charges have been filed against the homeowner.

Police say the case will likely be referred to a grand jury.

Not sure what I would have done, can't say unless you've been there.

2. r3dot

r3dot

Good job.

He shouldn't have opened his mouth and said all of that, though.

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

I don't think you need to have been there to realize that the statement above is idiocy.

4. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Good shoot - don't want to get shot ,don't steal peoples property!!:upeyes:

5. Tx-G30

Tx-G30

+1

and get those french doors reinforced or replaced.

6. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

I think it's semantics. Most people that shoot in self defense or defense of their property do not want the person to die. They simply want them to stop. So I could see how he didn't want the person he shot to die. Makes sense.

That said, you should never fire a gun unless you are willing to end the person's life you are shooting. That's why it is called deadly force. Authorized deadly force. Defendable deadly force.

And he definitely shouldn't have talked. Hope the DA isn't/can't bring charges.

7. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

I don't think I would have shot that kid just for stealing a TV. But thats just me. I'm not gonna kill someone over property that can be replased unless my life is under threat.

8. snair

snair

why not. if you worked for it its yours not some crooks

9. time_xx

time_xx NRA life member

My .02, if the robber was already out of the residence, moving away from the victim; I would say that the victim was no longer in danger at all. He reacted out of anger that he had BEEN robbed. He wasn't BEING robbed. I say deadly force was not warrented.

10. telecster

telecster

It will interesting to see if the homeowner will be charged! I do not think I would have shot the thief at that point. Maybe when he was coming in for seconds. I do hope the homeowner is not charged. I believe we have a right to protect our property. This did happen in Texas and not Illinois..Lucky for him.

11. TarzanT

TarzanT

Nope - In Texas deadly force is justified...

Texas Penal Code, Chapter 9, Subchapter D, 9.41 & 9.42

Deadly Force to Protect Property

"A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect his property to the degree he reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, theft during the nighttime or criminal mischief during the nighttime, and he reasonably believes that the property cannot be protected by any other means."

"A person is justified in using deadly force against another to prevent the other who is fleeing after committing burglary, robbery, or theft during the nighttime, from escaping with the property and he reasonable believes that the property cannot be recovered by any other means; or, the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the property would expose him or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury. (Nighttime is defined as the period 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise.)"

12. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER

I cannot fathom shooting someone who was running away with my TV. I may have worked for it but it is not worth taking a life. IMHO. Now if he is coming at me or a family member in a threatening manner; that would be different.

13. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

WOW-while I feel killin someone to save my tv is a bit much
    A law like that should deter a crime or two:wow:

14. Just1More

Just1More

This guy is toast. Enjoy your time in prison.

15. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

how dark is it at 6:30 am in Texas? I know its dark as hell in FL at that time.

16. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

For fun.. let's lay a little wager. I say he isn't convicted. Now what's the bet?

17. eXistenZ

eXistenZ Play it.

They've got to learn somehow...

18. glock75

glock75

It will go to the grand jury as all such cases do. He will be no-billed and not even be arrested or have to face a trial. Texas.

Forget about it...

19. Bashful

Bashful

Look at it again...

Each one stands on it's own.

Burglary,
    Robbery, or
    Theft during the night time.

20. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Sounds like a clean shoot to me. I think the statements he was saying were trying to make sure he would not be charged even though I don't think he would be anyway.