Houston or Dallas?

Discussion in 'Lone Star Glockers' started by NW-Warlord, Feb 5, 2010.

1. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

I just got a job offer which would require me moving to Texas. Which city Dallas or Houston is more gun friendly. Which one would be the best place to live pros/cons. I have never been to Texas before so any info would help.

2. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

To be honest with you - I live in DFW and have visited Houston. Houston is not bad - dont get me wrong - but I would have to say DFW is the better of the two if you have a choice. There are a lot of options for ranges and also shopping at Cabellas, Cheaper Than Dirt, etc. Now if you can live in Ft worth and work in dallas I would even go further to suggest you consider this as well. downtown ft worth has a great night life scene and is very secure - they have vamped up ft worth to allow for a very safe, secure area to have drinks or just hang out. texas is a gun friendly state in general - so as far as that goes you are covered in either location.

best of luck my friend and let me know if there is any further information you would like about the area.

3. trifecta

trifecta

I live in DFW and prefer it to Houston-never lived there. If you love the beach, the Houston area will be a better choice. Dallas is closer driving distance if you like to hit New Mexico or Colorado for mountains, Oklahoma or Arkansas for rivers and other stuff.

4. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Dallas is a little smaller and dryer. More bible belt influence. More country & western. Great Bar B Q.
    Houston is sultry. More like New Orleans. Damp & dirty. Sea food. Gulf of Mexico. Banana trees. Palm trees.
    Both cities have great night life and both are very good places to be armed at all times.

5. Bitmap

Bitmap Millennium Member

There aren't any hurricanes in DFW. OTOH there isn't a beach right next door, either.

6. bouy37

bouy37

I have lived in the Houston area all my life.

I would recommend either. Both have their strong points and not-so strong points. I have visited Dallas many times and don't see much difference between the two cities. In my opinion, the Dallas/Ft. Worth area is geared towards tourism. Houston is a work hard and play hard kind of town.

The comment on Houston being sultry, damp and dirty like New Orleans and full of banana and palm trees is way off. The town I reside in is clean, simple and full Oak and Pecan trees.

Seafood???? Only when I jump in the boat and hit the vast bay and bayou systems in the area to round up some fresh caught Redfish or Flounder. Beef is what this town eats. Burgers, BBQ, fajitas and steaks reign supreme.

If Houston is high on your list, check out some the surrounding small towns for residence vs. living in the big city. (Secret: Stay away from the southwest side of town. Too much crime.) Oh yeah, there are places to shoot all over town (indoor and outdoor ranges).

I am sure everyone giving you a reply will agree that Texas is a really cool state. Rich in history and full of places to see and experience. No matter what town you choose, travel through Texas via her back roads and forgotten highways. You will not be disappointed.

7. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

Very put - there are a lot of things to do in Tx. Great history - great people. Biased? Well yes of course.... I live here by choice lol.

Nothing like getting lost in the moment on a long ride just riding the roads and seeing the sites.

8. McCallTx

McCallTx

Born and Raised in Houston, movied to DFW after College, have to say, as far as the cities go, I like the DFW area much better. However for Family reasons, I will likely be moving back to Houston and I won't be too sad about it.

Central Texas is by far my favorite though!

9. ford1

ford1

10. hank327

hank327

I live in the DFW Metromess and have spent a lot of time in Houston for pleasure and work. Both cities are large urban areas with all the advantages and disadvantages that come with such. Traffic is horrid in both places with Houston perhaps being just a bit worse. To me, Houston has a more cosmopolitan feel to it than DFW. There seems to be more people from more parts of the world in Houston than DFW. Going up and down the radio dial in Houston you will find stations broadcasting in Vietnamese, Hindi, and a few more languages other than the ever present English and Spanish. In DFW, not so much.

What really would discourage me from living in Houston is the climate. Houston is not just hot for most of the year, it is a humidity laden, energy sapping heat that will have you pouring sweat before you can walk from your house to the car. Think 98 degrees with 95% humidity. I was in Houston over the Labor Day weekend in 2000 when it was 108 degrees with 90 percent humidity!:shocked: I worked construction in Houston during the summer and fall of 1983 and there were times I could not seem to catch my breath there was so much humidity in the heat. The humidity comes from Houston's proximity to the Gulf of Mexico and there is another byproduct that results from that... hurricanes. I lived through Hurricane Alicia in August of 1983. I won't be doing that again. But I will say that Houston has much prettier cloud formations than DFW does.

DFW is not really a paradise weather-wise either. It gets very hot here too but usually with not near the humidity that you find in Houston. There are tornadoes here instead of hurricanes (Houston has tornadoes too) but they will just usually destroy a neighborhood instead of the whole region. We have ice storms and snow virtually every year while Houston rarely does. Droughts are often in the North Texas area so water rationing is common something that I don't recall happening in Houston.