close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Houston Gun show......... intresting experience & casual observations

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by PartyBible, Feb 28, 2010.

1. PartyBible

PartyBible

Keep in mind I am a new shooter, so don't get all sensitive about my comments. Just casual observations adding to the continuum of knowledge here on GT.

So I decided to run to the GRB, location of the Houston gun show, at the last minute to search for a CCW. The show was only open for another 2hrs when I got there. I had it narrowed down to a g26, Kahr, LCP, p238 and maybe a S&W 642. First, Ill say that it was well worth the price of admission just to checkout so many brands and models in one place. I went to collectors firearms last week and they didn't have any g26s or LCPs in stock, and they are a large firearms dealer. I was also hoping for a glimse at a few kershaw knives that I had not seen in person. There was a dealer in attendance that had a ton of great kershaws and benchmades. I didnt inquire about a price, but the selection he had was excellent. I few observations:

- I parked the car and came around the corner and noticed folks leaving the event with newly purchased long guns. I didn't have to infer what they purchased because they were clearly on display over their shoulders for the whole world to see. Is it normal to not wrap your new pruchase when leaving a show? Seems like an easy way to get robbed, but then again you do have a gun so...

- no CC at gun shows? They appeared to have a 30.06 sign posted at the entrance. I didn't really care because I wasn't carrying.

- I went by myself and as such I didn't have to chat with anyone, rather, I got to listen to everyone's conversations. Some of my favorite where "girl guns," guns made just for women just because of their color. caliber, or size. I was also very surprised by the litany of "survivalists" in abercrombie and affliction t-shirts. Has being crazy caught on with the "cool crowd?" I heard more than once "but this is for me BOB," :rofl:.

- Surprising number of women. The surprising part was how many were purchasing pistols, assuming for CCW. FYI to the single guys, plenty of good looking ones to......

- Does every booth have to have a Barret .50? I swear every booth and some kind of .50.

- Guns not for sale, do not touch! Why bring a gun to a show if its not for sale, nor is it used to show case your accessories?

- Prices on stuff..... The prices on guns/accessories would vary widely. In hindsight I should have just gone to the dealer with the longest line and then picked my firearm, as the line indicated who had what you wanted in stock and at a competitive price. I saw as much as a $100 difference for some guns that were less that 1k, so the swing was between 10-20%. That is a heck of a margin.

- Taurus owns the gun show. The margin that Taurus has on their guns must be pretty good because it seemed like most dealers carried more taurus than their other brands.

Ultimately I bought a g26 with NS for 500+tax. Brand new, not sure if I got a great deal, however it was much cheaper than most shops around the house/office and it got me out of the house for a few hours. I will definitely return to pickup a p238 or lcp.

Other guns I liked and initial impressions at the table
    - Sig 226 elite stainless. My God what a sweet gun. I have shot the 40 229 version and its nice. I think I like the ergos of the 226 better, but the price 1k. Regardless its really a great gun. Cheapest price i saw was 1k

- LCP v p3at- the LCP seemed to be a higher quality polymer and the chrome version is very nice. Looks like Ruger has introduced a blued "engraved version." Cheapest I saw the chrome version was 318.

- Glock 34, this was a bit of a surprise. I figured it would be real heavy and difficult to handle. I really liked it and I bet it is a gem to shoot with the long slide and adjustable sites. best price $540

- Single stack V double stack, or Kahr v glock. I have pretty small hands for a guy, but I prefer a larger grip. I swear kahr just copied glock, used stainless slide and a single stack mag, but it felt like there wasn't enough "meat" in the frame. The 2x stack is nice for my hands because it allows my left palm to fit nicely between fingers and right palm. I like the Glock ergonomics........ so there 1911 owners :tongueout: (dont get all touchy, I love 1911's...... as long as someone else pays for the ammo)

- The next financial bubble is ARs or 1911s, cant decide which, but there were a hell of a lot of them there!

2. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

You need to go to shows more often.:supergrin:
    It was actually a pretty good show today. Your new Glock's price is typical for all the shows around H-town. Try to buy at Carter's Country or Collectors Firearms, and you'll be thankful for these shows.
    Reminds me, something funny happened today, just after the show opened. I was browsing, and suddenly, some old guy was screaming at a little boy, "What the hell is wrong with you, boy? You don't just pick up a $25,000 gun". And he kept on going and going. The boy's father finally had enough, pointing his finger right at the old guy, "That's enough, I heard you the first time". To be fair, the old guy did have the "Do not handle without permission" sign right in front of the gun (some kind of antique gun). But, he didn't have to scream at the boy.
    I went nut today and ended up with a G19 RTF2, a CZ 75B polish stainless, and a Mossberg 12 Ga "Roadblocker".:cool::supergrin:

:needspics:

I'll post pics later on, when I get to it.
    :tongueout:

3. PartyBible

PartyBible

Ive looked both places....ouch. I just checked impact guns and if it was below that I thought it was fair. Think academy carries a g26, non-ns, for around 550 if they have it in stock. Never see one with NS thier. So $500 I am happy with. Ill post pics when I get a chance.

*need to find that affliction t-shirt...........:mallninja:

4. AustinTx

AustinTx

In defense of Carter Country, I did buy a gun there from one of their "every Thursdays" specials that was a good deal. That doesn't happen too often.

Some people don't seem to care what their children do in public. That old guy shouldn't have needed to get on that kid.

5. BEER

BEER bad example

i've talked to a couple of those guys and those guns are for sale, IF you're the kind of guy that oozes money out of every pore and drives through the crowd and rolls right up to the table in a bentley or a maybach. the "NOT FOR SALE!" signs are just there to keep us lower tax bracket riffraff from loitering and pawing the goods.