House passes Bill allowing Federal prison Officers to carry personal weapons to work

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Trench Sweeper, May 17, 2018.

1. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

2. collim1

collim1 Because Alexa said so!

First off, Federal corrections being covered under LEOSA and local and state corrections officers not being covered is BS.

And good for them. It’s a shame someone got killed before they came around on that.

janice6 and larry_minn like this.

3. blueiron

blueiron

The question is this: Will the BoP budget funds for firearms lockers and a safety barrel, inside of a secured room at every facility they have - US Prison, FCI, offices in Federal buildings, etc.? I have my doubts that it will be done within a few years.

Lots of Federal lockups are old, really old. There's no room for expansion and modification isn't practical. Other facilities have "campers" [limited risk/trustee inmates who work outside of the facility and who do landscaping, maintenance, and clean up tasks - leaving a firearm inside of a locked auto isn't safe, since the parking lots are not routinely monitored as the "campers" move in and through the parking lots. Other Federal office spaces will have to be approved and modified by GSA - that will take a long time.

The bill still has to go before the Senate. I have my doubts that it will pass there.

Glockdude1 likes this.
  4. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I did some shooting on prison grounds. (Outside actual walls of course). We were told to have our guns on our person at all times. Trustees were allowedby parking area, building range was in. We also were to keep track of any live ammo.
    The suggestion was made to have child molesters hold targets. ;)

Glockdude1 likes this.
  5. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

State and local corrections officers are covered by LEOSA, so long as they meet the statutory requirements. Generally, the hang up is arrest authority. I have come to realize that mine is a rather unique agency, in that we have the same powers of arrest as police officers. Statute defines us as peace officers, same as police, deputy sheriffs, etc. So, we can work off duty gigs, lock folks up on or off duty, etc. Like I said, rather unique for a local jail, but it works for us.

I feel bad for those who work for agencies that don't allow their officers to carry off duty or those who aren't covered by LEOSA, but those folks should engage with state and local elected officials. Laws can be changed.

6. collim1

collim1 Because Alexa said so!

In my state almost none have state POST certification. Only exception is deputies that transfer into corrections division. Even our state prison guards are not certified and covered.

I guess I assumed most states were just like mine. It’s good some are getting covered.

7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

It has nothing to do with LEOSA - nobody, corrections officers, state police, FBI, etc., included, is allowed to bring a gun, ammunition and a whole list of other things onto prison grounds. That means officers can go to prison for even keeping a gun in their car during work. They also, with or without cause, search staff members and their cars. The result is that while officers may be able to carry guns off duty, they can't carry one to work (which is even worse, since they are unarmed and wearing a uniform).

Also, state and local correctional officers are generally covered under LEOSA, as long as they have statutory arrest powers. I recall seeing that Pennsylvania officers do not, but I think most do. In Kentucky, a local correctional officer is a regular peace officer with the same 24/7 arrest powers as any other and a state correctional officer has the same powers as a peace officer, but limited to when he is working.

8. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

I work for the BOP. Right now there is a lot of TALK about the lockers, but it is just that, TALK. I have always left my firearm at home. I don't like it, but I do enjoy my job.

:cool:

CBennett and blueiron like this.
  9. Detectorist

Detectorist

In Missouri we kept our personal guns in our vehicles, in the prison parking lot.

10. CBennett

CBennett

Well you should say some states because i also know some states cover their officers under Leosa also as do some local/county department s its just up to them

11. CBennett

CBennett

Glockdude1 likes this.
  12. CBennett

CBennett

They have
    We have already been told it will be lockboxes(possibly they will give a list of approved ones not sure though) to be kept in vehicle and secured in box before entering institution..