close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

House fire down the street

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dherloc, Mar 31, 2012.

1. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

My 6 year old thought this was very cool.

As a homeowner, it was pretty surreal watching it all unfold.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76710905@N04/

Best pics are around page 4 since they post as newest first.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

When I was younger they were doing some road construction around my house. They bought up a bunch of the houses and had the fire dept burn them down. I think there was about 4 or 5 of them.

Also watched an empty apartment building burn once. IIRC a kid set it on fire.

Don't recall ever being on scene when someone's house was actually going up. I do remember the heat being VERY intense even from across the street.

3. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

You got some great shots. I like the pics of the engineer on the engine that has the pump panel between the cab and the hosebed. The average old school fire engine has the pump panel on the STREET SIDE of the engine. As in you stand on the edge of the road {IF you are lucky} and pump your truck.

The new engines with the pump panel like that are much safer.

4. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

We did a controlled burn of a a donated house and outbuildings for Firefighter One in 2004. The heat from the house caused two of the outbuildings {Closest was 35 feet or more} to light up. Good lesson in that for the rookies about exposures and keeping them cool.

5. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

I took pictures of everything because we know a couple of FFs and at least one of the ones that was there yesterday. Most of them never see themselves in action, so hopefully they will get the word that their pictures are out there.

Interesting about the engineer position. My brother actually hates that spot since he doesn't get to actually fight the fire. Notice that most of those guys are older...told him one day that will be all he wants to do...drive and be the engineer.

6. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

When your 18, nothing beats being on the nozzle and actually slaying the dragon. By the time your sixty, you're glad to stand at a panel and let the excited 18 year olds drag that heavy hose and crawl on their knees through a smoky hot room....

7. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

My brothers station has an older truck with the two rear facing seats being open cockpit. He doesn't like them as it feels like you are going to fall out of the truck.

8. fireguy129

fireguy129

We got away from the top mount pump. Made the truck too long, and too much up and down. No matter what you wanted to do, it was on the ground. People climbing up to tell you something, climbing down to connect or disconnect etc. Plus I think a side mount is more compact. We don't have to worry much about traffic, when we're operating the road is pretty much closed to vehicles.

9. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

First engine I ever rode was like that. Made me carsick riding backwards. And some people could even put on turn-out gear going down the road in the back.....

Scott

10. fireguy129

fireguy129

I cut my teeth on an open cab kme. Those were some rides, belted in, looking out the window as we pass. I was ok riding backwards, until I got into an enclosed cab, then I get a little loopy. It's kinda disappointing, I hear guys older than me who rode tailboard, our new guys never rode true jump seats. It's really a part of the job that I miss.

11. cannoneer

cannoneer

Started out on a 1953 International (in 1970) Yes rode the tailboard.

The longest ride on the tailboard was around 18 mi. Lost two rooms in the house. all the doors in the home were closed, fought the fire with the booster line (500 gal tank) Yes it was cold tem. around 30 deg.

That was the good old days.
    I :rofl: my back side off thinking about them.:supergrin:

12. glock509

glock509

i too have rode rear facing in an old american lefrance engine. loved it didnt like the top mount panels. now the big thing is a rear mount pump panel. i miss it just wasnt good at kissing hieny in a small dept.

nice pics.

13. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

In the rear mounts, does the hose bed unload off the back?

14. glock509

glock509

some do and some are cross mount. most of the rear mounts are on smaller engines for rural areas. but they are making inroads into full size.
    its amazing how many ways they can configure a truck nowadays.

15. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc