close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hotmail question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DrMike, Aug 23, 2004.

1. DrMike

DrMike

OS - WinXP, 120GB HD, 512RAM, IE 6, 2000MB Hotmail mailbox with 1% used.

Whenever I try to open any incoming mail in excess of ~70KB - all I get is a DNS error. I'm not talking about attachements just regular e-mail. So I can't open anything unless it's less than ~70KB.
    BTW - this has been a problem for several months.....

Any ideas on what's happening

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

incomming mail?

lets start from the top.

You have a hotmail account.

you go to the website and put your username and password in and then you go into the inbox and double click on a message to view or download the attachment?

Or you use another email client and hotmail is your email server and it delievers the email to your desktop?

if the second is true then you have some sort of misconfiguration and need to go to the hotmail faq's to figure out what is wrong on your end.

I have never seen that error before.

sorry for the lack of help.

3. DrMike

DrMike

NetNinja.....

Thanks for the response..

incomming mail? **yes**

lets start from the top.

You have a hotmail account.

you go to the website and put your username and password in and then you go into the inbox and double click on a message to view or download the attachment? **yes**

Or you use another email client and hotmail is your email server and it delievers the email to your desktop? **Nope**

if the second is true then you have some sort of misconfiguration and need to go to the hotmail faq's to figure out what is wrong on your end. **Been there and found nothing**

I have never seen that error before.

Well - thanks anyway, it was worth a try..

sorry for the lack of help.

4. mdlestat

mdlestat

I use nothing but Hotmail--have for many years now--and I also have the Plus account, and what you're describing doesn't make any sense at all. The attachment size, or general size of the message has nothing to do with your ability to open a piece of mail (at sizes this small at least---but even if you were talking 10 meg files...it wouldn't cause a DNS error)

Your computer's hardware likely has nothing to do with this either--if you're not having the problem anywhere else.

My only suggestions would be to verify that your network connections are properly configured (you can right-click on the little 'two-monitor' icon on the far right side--the one that most people have that shows up when you're connected to the internet--next to the clock, and click repair for a novice-fix) and make sure you have any firewall software you have (and you had BETTER have one!!!) like Zonealarm, Norton, or even the stock WinXP version, configured to allow IE6 to act as a server. (though if yu already didn't, you'd have other internet problems, too)

I still see no reason you would have such a problem---the symptoms you describe just don't make sense.

Are you on Dial-up? DSL? Cable? Who are you with?
    Do you have hang-ups anywhere else?

And to confirm: you CAN use Hotmail without problems...just not with larger messages---and you CAN read ones with attachments?

This problem makes no sense.

I'd contact MSN support and tell them of your issues if the above doesn't help.

5. DrMike

DrMike

mdlestat....thank you for your response...

I use nothing but Hotmail--have for many years now--and I also have the Plus account, and what you're describing doesn't make any sense at all.

I'm using Plus account as well.

The attachment size, or general size of the message has nothing to do with your ability to open a piece of mail (at sizes this small at least---but even if you were talking 10 meg files...it wouldn't cause a DNS error)

No problem opening relatively small mail, like I said, larger ones in excess of ~70 KB's just won't open, time out our result in DNS errors.

Your computer's hardware likely has nothing to do with this either--if you're not having the problem anywhere else.

Agree - no other problems.

My only suggestions would be to verify that your network connections are properly configured (you can right-click on the little 'two-monitor' icon on the far right side--the one that most people have that shows up when you're connected to the internet--next to the clock, and click repair for a novice-fix) and make sure you have any firewall software you have (and you had BETTER have one!!!) like Zonealarm, Norton, or even the stock WinXP version, configured to allow IE6 to act as a server. (though if yu already didn't, you'd have other internet problems, too)

Oops - no firewall. Actually, my tech tells me with a DSL modem plus a Netgear router - I don't need a firewall. Yes/No???

I still see no reason you would have such a problem---the symptoms you describe just don't make sense.

My thoughts exactly...

Are you on Dial-up? DSL? Cable? Who are you with?
    Do you have hang-ups anywhere else?

Sorry - should've mentioned this earlier - using DSL with Earthlink.

And to confirm: you CAN use Hotmail without problems...just not with larger messages---and you CAN read ones with attachments?

Exactly..that is, smaller e-mails with any attachements just no larger e-mails.

This problem makes no sense.

Yup!

I'd contact MSN support and tell them of your issu for the response...

Good Idea..

Thanks for staying with me though....'preciate it

Mike