close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hotel internet via ethernet -- how to?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Thirties, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Thirties

Thirties

I am familiar with getting online via a WiFi node. Many hotels have a node in the lobby, and some in the rooms.

What about those hotels that offer free broadband in the room but only via an ethernet cable?

Yes, I know I need to buy a cable, but how do I connect? And what am I connecting to? Am I dialing? Am I being connected to a network?

I've just been searching on Microsoft's huge info area, but all the hits I got are about WiFi.

Can anyone help out a relative novice notebook owner about to visit his first hotel with computer in hand?

What I want to do is get on the 'net and use my browser to read news and check my web-based email.

New in May'06 Windows XP Media Center notebook with WiFi and ethernet capability. Using Firefox 2.0 and Thunderbird.

2. SomeGuyInAHat

SomeGuyInAHat

You need an ethernet cable. You connect it from the ethernet jack in the room to the ethernet port in your laptop and start surfing. No configuration necessary, although you sometimes have to agree to the hotel or service providers TOS or billing when you open a web browser.

Most of the hotel room ethernet connections that I've used actually had an ethert cable secured to the desk. I pack a WiFi router and connect it to that ethernet cable. Then I can surf, er, I mean work from the couch, easy chair, bed, balcony, wherever.

3. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

Whenever you connect to the internet you are connecting to a network of some kind. WiFi is simply a means of turning a wired signal into a wireless one. Instead of using a Cat5 cabling it uses radio waves (it's not THAT simple, but it helps illustrate the point). More than likely you connect a Cat5 cable between your laptop and the drop on the wall and all should be well. Most likely it will be set up to provide your computer with a DHCP IP address and your computer should take it so long as it's set up to allow for DHCP rather than a static address. To determine if your computer is set up for DHCP:

Click "Start"
    Click "Run..."
    Type cmd and press Enter
    Type ipconfig/all and press Enter

This will print out the networking configuration on your computer. Look for a part titled "Ethernet adapter [name of your connection, most likely 'local area connection']". There should be a part called "DHCP Enabled". If this is set to "yes" you should be good to go.

4. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

There's about a 99% chance that all you have to do is plug the ethernet cable into wherever it will fit, click on internet explorer, and you're surfing. If it costs extra they maybe have to activate it from the front desk or something. -dok

5. Thirties

Thirties

Thanks, folks. Going to try it out this coming weekend.

On a related topic . . . I crashed my system and had to restore my operating system. I've got everything working again, but the WiFi "sniffer" no longer reports that there is no signal present when I boot up. That makes my think it will fail to find a signal even if one is present.

I looked everywhere for a way to "turn on" the sniffer feature but cannot find a way.

Am I worried about nothing here,or is there a way to implement the sniffing that I am not aware of?

Thanks...

6. kAr

kAr Netware Rocks!

7. SomeGuyInAHat

SomeGuyInAHat

Sounds like the radio is actually turned off. Look for a button or switch on the laptop with an antenna symbol, or a combination of the Fn key and of the F keys.

8. Thirties

Thirties

"Radio" is turned on. The icon is lit on my keyboard, and has always been lit.

9. SomeGuyInAHat

SomeGuyInAHat

OK, then check this:
    1. Click Start and choose Run.
    2. Scroll down Wireless Zero Configuration.
    3. Verify WZC shows Started for its status.
    4. If it is not started, or is disabled, double click on it.
    5. Change Startup Type to Automatic and click Apply.
    6. Click Start, then OK.
    If after doing that, you're still not "sniffing" out networks, do this:
    1. Click on Start and choose Control Panel
    2. On the left side of the control panel, click on "Switch to Classic View" (don't click "Switch to Category View."
    3. Double-click Network Connections.
    4. Right-Click on Wireless Network Connection and choose Properties.
    5. Click the Wireless Networks tab.
    6. Check the box labeled "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings."
    7. Click OK.

10. Thirties

Thirties

Nothing worked. But I found my way to Device Manager where I saw the tell-tale yellow question mark.

I inserted my restore dvd and updated the drivers for all the yellow ?s, and now I'm back in business.

Thanks for your help...

11. Thirties

Thirties

Thanks again for the help with my wifi sniffer. I'm at the hotel now, and wifi is working perfectly. Turns out they no longer offer ethernet,but all rooms now have wifi. I bought the cable. Maybe one day, I'll need it.