close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hot wing sauce

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by ClydeG19, May 6, 2006.

1. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

While at Costco's today, we found they sell wings in large packs. I haven't found a good place to get hot wings near me yet (necessary for football season). I like them hot enough to make your nose run, but still have some flavor to it.

Do any of you make your own wings? What do you do to them and what sauce do you use? Feel free to give me any secret family recipes.:supergrin:

2. MOBEEBO

MOBEEBO

I kinda like this stuff. We used to print their labels back when I worked at another company that went belly up.

Anyway.....

http://www.wingtime.com/

3. tripperNC

tripperNC

I've fooled around with wing sauces a bit, and the best I've come up with is about 60/40 Frank's Red Hot Sauce to stick butter. Crystal Lousiana Hot Sauce is also great with the same proportions. Of course, you can richen the hot sauce to butter ratio for more heat. Real butter is a must. I got this off a "designer imposter" cookbook for a Hooters recipe, and I think it tastes even better than Hooters' wings -- but you don't get the same atmosphere!

Tripp

4. Bill D

Bill D Millennium Member

Tripper hit it with Frank's- the original Buffalo sauce.
    I cook mine on the grill using drumettes and a folding flat basket-gets rid of the fat. Put a tupperware container with Frank's, none to a bunch of butter to control the heat, in the micro for a minute or so, add the wings, cover, shake, and enjoy!

5. Sm0key369

Sm0key369

Uhhh Frank's Hot Sauce. mmmmmm. Sams club or Costco, get the 2 gallon pack. Frank's must be the best hot sauce out there.

6. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

You guys always go on and on about how good Franks is, so a few months ago I picked some up...

Really good... I'm squirting it all over the place...
    Omelets, Pasta, Sandwiches, and of course wings...

I melt the butter, add Franks till it's the right flavor/heat, then I stir in garlic (to taste)
    pressed thru a garlic press...

Garlic wings are better than plain Buffalo Wings...

Continuing to cook the sauce will reduce the heat of the garlic...

Adding a lil' honey, or Dijon, is a twist...

I like plain Garlic wings tho...

:beer:

7. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Deep fried plain (and dry)until they float and have a good color.

Pour a bottle of Franks in a pan melt a stick of Butter in it.

Put the cooked wings in a bowl and toss with sauce.

8. tripperNC

tripperNC

Generally I like to bread mine before deep frying. I'll drench the wing in a bath of milk with a beaten egg, then bread them with a flour, bread crumb, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and dash of cayenne pepper mix. You can repeat this process for EXTRA CRISPY wings also. Then, onto the fryer until golden brown and floating. Pull them out, let drain and dip them in the hot sauce mix. As I said before, Frank's Red Hot or Crystal Lousisana Hot sauce can be used interchangably. Franks is a little thicker than the Crystal, but it is easier to find in bulk.

If I'm doing this for a large group of people, I'll bread the wings and refrigerate for about an hour before guests arrive on sheets of wax paper on cookie sheets. In bulk I'll just upsize the operation to a turkey frier!

I went on a wing binge about two years ago that lasted for months. Through alot of experimentation, this is what I came up with. I can't duplicate the atmosphere of Hooters (though I have begged my wife to don the tight shirt and shorts!), but I think I've nearly duplicated their recipe, if not improved upon it.

Incidentally, the same recipe will work for boneless chicken breast strips, and Buffalo Shrimp. Hell, I've even cut thin strips of pork chops and cooked the same way.

Now, if you really want something good, try some deep fried pickle chips. Devine! Down here in the Carolinas we'll deep fry anything that'll sit still!

Tripp

9. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Ditto on the recipe. Also a little splash of white vinegar doesn't hurt.

10. Michael Dean

Michael Dean

Originally posted by tripperNC
    I've fooled around with wing sauces a bit, and the best I've come up with is about 60/40 Frank's Red Hot Sauce to stick butter. Crystal Lousiana Hot Sauce is also great with the same proportions. Of course, you can richen the hot sauce to butter ratio for more heat. Real butter is a must. I got this off a "designer imposter" cookbook for a Hooters recipe, and I think it tastes even better than Hooters' wings -- but you don't get the same atmosphere!

Tripp

I agree on both of these posts. Deep fried or grilled is your preference. I personally don't like the breaded wings. One thing I do after coating the wings in the sauce is to put them in 350 degree oven on a cookie sheet for a little bit. This will dry the sauce onto the wings a bit, so they will stay coated better and the sauce will not drain off as bad as otherwise.

Ahhhhhhh....Wings - Celery - And PLENTY of Cold Beer!!!!!!!!!

11. Kanos

Kanos Why yes.

Also, some things that are very good in Franks CHICKEN LEGS....fry them up until tender drench in franks red hot, a stick of butter, and some brownsugar!!!!!!!!! its delicous

works the same with wings, i just like legs becuase there bigger!

12. Michael Dean

Michael Dean

Agreed....There's a place here called Buffalo Wild Wings. On Tuesdays they have a special on drums, .50 each. And they will fix them in any of the sauces used on their wings.

13. OEF_VET

OEF_VET

If you want to ignite your hair on fire, replace the Frank's Hot Sauce with Dave's Insanity Sauce, which is made from Habenero peppers. Just be sure that you have someone nearby, with the number to the local Poison Control Center and 911 on speed-dial.

14. Str8_Shooter_85

Str8_Shooter_85

Go 60/40 on Franks Red Hot and some good Blue Cheese dressing. Makes a good thickness and is definately hot enough to make your eyes water.

15. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

...but who cares.

Franks Red Hot

Honey (alot)

Freshly mashed up garlic (alot)

Cajun seasoning

Black Pepper

The Franks should be about 70% of the sauce, with honey about 20%. All that mashed up garlic takes up some space too.

Much better the next day, after everything sits.

16. PMY

PMY

I thought I was the only one who knew the secret of Frank's Red Hot sauce and butter!

17. Kanos

Kanos Why yes.

WELL THE SECRETS OUT, lol. Its the perfect game food!!

18. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

What Tripp said. you can also add a TINY bit of vinegar for a little extra bite. If I wanna turn up the heat a tad, I add a little bit of Matouk's West Indian Hot Flambeau sauce but the Franks/butter thing is the real deal.

19. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

I'm too tired to see if anyone mentioned it, but in the ketchup isle most supermarkets
    sell Hooters sauce in the jar...
    It's darn good, and I'll add pressed garlic to it...

:beer:

20. Remander

Remander

My wing technique:

Soak in salted and sugared water for about 30 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels. This plumps them up. It really makes a difference.

Season with Tony Chacheres or similar seasoning, and grill until done.

Sauce: Stick of butter, lots of Thai chili-garlic sauce, lime juice, and some squirts of that super-hot Thai rooster sauce. Find the right mix for your tatste. I like it really hot.

Dunk cooked wings in the sauce.

EAT!!!