Hot vs. Cold Portable Room Humidifiers

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zell, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

I have a couple sick kids with coughs. We need to get one of those small portable room humidifiers to run while they're asleep -- they cough the hardest during the night. My wife says cold humidifiers are the best. I grew up with warm humidifiers and have heard they are the best. What do the GTer experts say?

2. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Cold does not do anything. All it does is make things wet around it. You need steam to raise the humidity in the air.

*This is the recommendation of various pediatric doctors, as our little one has a breathing issue, and we need to use one regularly.

3. PA86

PA86

Incorrect.

4. bcmclane

bcmclane

As someone that installs all kinds of humidification systems in places such as hospitals, clean rooms, and plain old houses, I can tell you that is not the case. The best basic stand alone models for a homeowner that just plug in are ultrasonic. They cost the least to run and put off the best moisture.....and they are cold.

OP: Vicks makes a pretty good one that runs about $50

5. BigDaddyK

BigDaddyK

My 18mos old has been getting congestion and stuff. The doctor told us to get a warm air humidifier.

6. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Hmmm. Still confusing.

7. Tim Smith

Tim Smith

I have two of the cold "mist" humidifiers. They both work great. I use distilled water though. I have noticed if the relative humidity is higher is will make things wet like was said before. But than you don't need it on.

I use the old school boiled pot of water with a towel over my head when I want to break up the sinuses (sinusii?, sinus?). Cheap and effective. I can't remember what but you could put mint or menthol or something in the water to help too.

8. SheepleNoMore

SheepleNoMore

For the whole house a cold is the way to go. There are no large volume warm humidifiers for the home.
    For a sick kid and just their room you may want a warm to keep from cooling their room several degrees.

Both are going to have calcium buildup if you use tap water and the steam is going to require replacing the electrodes periodically.

I also have two of the cold humidifiers, but use tap water. In my old shack of a house and with the high traffic in and out it can take 3 gallons of water a day to feel comfortable.