close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hot Off the Grill

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by General Sherman, May 1, 2004.

1. General Sherman

General Sherman

Well guys and girls, when you think you know it fairly well you find something new.
    I thought I knew how to grill meat on a charcoal grill. I do, but I learned something new today on PBS "BBQU" and "Test Kitchen" or some similar name.
    Check the BBQU web site by the same name and read the details on charcoal BBQ technique.
    I truly believe the charcoal grills are the absolute best for meat and do a fine job on veggies too. The only reason great chefs of renown do not use them in their kitchens is that they cannot keep a charcoal fire going. The exceptions are Houston's and some other fine dedicated establishments who keep a pile of wood nearby.

I learned today:
    Use natural charcoal rather than briquettes if possible.
    Use direct heat method for searing and indirect with drip pan(s) for long cooking.
    Use an instant thermometer. Don't guess.
    Add soaked mesquite chips for flavor. I guess I knew that but have been lazy.
    Add new charcoal every hour for extended cooking.
    Clean the grill when hot and a long handled grill cleaning brush is required to avoid burning yourself. Apply oil to grill when clean to avoid sticking. Do not spray-on oil to avoid a big flare-up. (I had been cleaning when cold).

The meat marinade used on the show today is a minor variation on my old favorite:
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup wine for sweetness (not cooking wine)
    1 clove crushed garlic
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tbsn lime juice
    (optional) 1/2 chopped medium vidalia onion