Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One would think a pandemic would mean money for hospitals. But apparently the hospital systems are leading the economic decline in percentage of losses in recent months.

They cut out non-emergency stuff and the expected deluge of COVID patients didn't happen. They also report that they lose money on the COVID patients they did get.

Maybe we flattened the curve a bit too much for them?

·
Registered
672 Posts
One would think a pandemic would mean money for hospitals. But apparently the hospital systems are leading the economic decline in percentage of losses in recent months.

They cut out non-emergency stuff and the expected deluge of COVID patients didn't happen. They also report that they lose money on the COVID patients they did get.

Maybe we flattened the curve a bit too much for them?
most medical coverage's pay x amount for all medical services and medications, and tests.

hospitals take what is on the formulatory charts from the insurers

i get mail each month from my blue cross provider. the doctor charges x amount, blue cross paid x amount, and the doctor office accepts payment in full.

they lost out on noninvasive surgeries, elective surgeries, and ER care.

things could have been set up to keep the covid patients sealed off, and all the ordinary hospital functions up and running.

maybe they will learn something, the next wave?

i don't feel too badly for hospitals with what they do charge and get away with, like over $2,000 a night hospital stays, over $20 for 2 aspirins, etc,etc.

i been in the hospital a time or two in recent years, and the "this is not a bill" that i get from Blue Cross, would floor me, if i had to pay what those hospital bandits charge.

they got the money to survive. all they have to do is reduce the pay of ALL the administrators.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
No surprise as hospitals and doctors have been losing boatloads of money because they could not do "elective" surgeries/procedures for the last couple months which is their cash cow. This especially hurts the many non profit hospitals.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
If you have to go to one, please be aware that they are going to test you as much as they can and keep you as long as they can, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!

Vote Trump and Republican in November !!!

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
What we need to stabilize hospitals is a single payer system........

Reactions: 279842

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
i don't feel too badly for hospitals with what they do charge and get away with, like over $2,000 a night hospital stays, over $20 for 2 aspirins, etc,etc.
How much should each of your two examples be priced at? What justification do you have for the prices you are recommending?

Reactions: evlbruce

·
Registered
975 Posts
What we need to stabilize hospitals is a single payer system........
Keep locked down long enough and you may get your wish. Along with universal income, the Green New Disaster, and a host of other communist policies.

·
Registered
975 Posts
But apparently the hospital systems are leading the economic decline in percentage of losses in recent months.
The lockdown was crucial to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed and going under.

But the lockdown has torpedoed hospitals economically and they are now in danger of ...... going under.

I can follow that logic. I think?

·
A swamp dude
11,353 Posts
I have been watching hospitals in a race for market share for years. The brand new hospitals and added wings to existing hospitals have sprouted like mushrooms. Each new facility has the latest technology and finest patient accommodations imaginable. Modern hospital care is wonderful and very expensive.

COVID-19 threw a wrench into hospital strategic plans. High priced elective procedures got turned off in order to provide space for virus patients. The revenue curve turned south and profit tumbled.

Some hospitals may fail, but not the major institutions. They will come back with higher prices when the virus subsides and life will go on as before. $20 aspirin will bump up to $25.

·
Banned
2,598 Posts
surgeries, like knee replacements, cataract surgeries are huge money makers for hospitals

Lot of those have been put off...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts