Hospitals "Greyhound" Therapy.........

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Paul53, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Paul53

Paul53 Retired from 24/7 body repair.

I haven't seen a thread about patient dumping lately:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-captures-video-of-patient-dumping-outside-baltimore-hospital/

For profit hospitals have long sought ways to get rid of uninsured patients. This shameful incident has a hidden agenda; universal healthcare. I myself as an EMT have been ordered to transfer a woman with a non existent hand injury to the city/county hospital. She couldn't tolerate the 5 mile drive and I had to start CPR.

Hospitals are pictured as places of hope and caring. But if it's a private/for profit hospital and you don't have insurance, you could be put out wearing only a hospital gown in below freezing conditions. It even happened to me when I was working in San Angelo, Texas. Fever, constricting chest pain, but no insurance. Out the door I went. Fortunately another hospital put me in the cardiac unit for a week for pericarditis.

America needs and deserves universal health care. Big Medical Businesses will encourage scare tactics to protect their profits. How many people need die before the right to life includes healthcare?

2. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

I was hoping this was the kind of Greyhound therapy you were referring to. I know the patients would do better if they got some therapy from Greyhounds. Loving, gentle, affectionate, silly *** pups. @airmotive knows what I'm talking about.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

3. Cubdriver

Cubdriver

I'm sorry, 'rights' don't include forcing others to perform labor without compensation. There is no 'right' to a service.

-Pat

4. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 SONS OF LIBERTY

That's a new one, I hadn't either.

A good lawyer might be able to do her good.

Paul53 likes this.
  5. Paul53

Beautiful dogs. I should have explained that hospitals in colder climates may give an indigent patient a one way bus ticket to the southern states. Arizona, New Mexico, and West Texas are favorites. The hospitals call it "Greyhound (bus) Therapy."

Stevekozak and huskerbuttons like this.
  6. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

Nobody has the right to free services of another person or business.

That big H out front on the sign doesn't stand for Hilton, and if it did, you'd still have to pay.

7. Paul53

I'm thinking eventually a court decision will state that the right to life implies a right to healthcare. In this case the patient was in danger of dying by having only a flimsy gown to protect her from freezing weather. Could the hospital be charged with manslaughter?

8. Paul53

So we let her freeze to death, then? Doesn't that violate the right to life?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  9. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

Guess I'm dense. I don't understand the thread title in relation to the story. Glad some dog pictures were posted anyway.

10. Paul53

Hospitals give patients greyhound bus tickets to far off cities to get rid of them.

Stevekozak likes this.
  11. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

"Ma'am, you're on private property. Your decisions got you here, and you were medically cleared. It's time to go. That your decisions and actions have isolated you from anyone who would normally come get you, is not our problem. You see, that bed you were in, is needed for someone who cannot walk. Go anywhere. Just not anywhere on this property."

And no, I didn't watch the video.

12. mdlott

mdlott

.GOV has ALREADY ****ed up healthcare beyond all recognition. OP, you wan't them to **** it up even more???? Get the mother ****ing government OUT of my business.

"If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor"

"If you like your insurance plan, you can keep your insurance plan"

"We will save the average family $2,500 in annual premiums"

Well, we lost all of our doctors, we lost our reasonably priced insurance plan. Our premium has increased by over $12,000 annually for ****ty insurance.

Few people want freedom, only just rulers. Or something like that. I just can't get over how some folks believe that government actually gives a **** about them.

Stevekozak, Glock1963, Jump and 5 others like this.
  13. Paul53

They must get her to a homeless shelter or the outcome is still probably bad. The patient in question has mental health problems.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  14. 1L26

1L26

15. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

WHO must? There's the rub.

Go try to sit at a restaurant after eating a meal, refusing to pay, and hang out there "because it's cold."

Get back to us when you get out of jail.

16. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

If hospitals could let you die on the curb if you didn't have insurance it would get better.

People would make sure they had it for them and thier kids.

These people are capable of crossing the street and not falling off cliffs, they are capable of getting insurance.

If it was TRUE insurance, the market would make this reasonable and easy to get.

Government caused the outcome in your story.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  17. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

I agree with TadBart. That lady was taking up a bed, in an EMERGENCY room. She was released because there was NO medical reason to keep her, or transfer her to another facility. I will tell you also that as for transferring her by ambulance, there has to be a receiving facility, who has agreed to accept the patient, and they have to have a medical reason, signed off by the transferring MD, to go by ambulance. And the ambulance service isn't free. We just can't dump a patient from one facility to another.

When people complain about the high cost of healthcare, they need to think about things like the indigent, uninsured, or underinsured using the ER as their doctors office, or being admitted unnecessarily to a hospital because they have no where to go. Things like this drive up the costs, create a log jam in the seeing of patients, and create burnout on the part of staff.

The mentally ill over run the medical system in America. If they cannot take care of themselves, they should be institutionalized, in a MENTAL facility. However that is a big no no in America. If we were to go back to institutionalizing the drug addicted and mentally ill, this type of thing will stop. The homeless population would be reduced. Low level street crimes would be reduced also.

18. Dave514

Dave514

When something, only produced by manpower, is deemed a "right"...they often forget that deems someone else a slave. People don't react well to slavery.

19. Paul53

It is cheaper to keep people healthy than to let them get ill and require hospitalization.
    If a diabetic can't afford a bottle of insulin, their condition will worsen until the have diabetic ketoacidosis requiring a week in intensive care.

Had all 50 states participated in Obama care, it would have been a good start. And no, I'm not tying the concept of universal health coverage to a government take over. Honestly I don't care what form it takes.

We have a type of universal care now. People with insurance can get care through their private doctor. The uninsured have to go to the ER for care, the most expensive place to get care. If they can't pay, the cost is shifted to the patients with insurance. So we are paying for indigent people now!

20. Paul53

Huskerbuttons, I'm quite aware of the Cobra laws. They also state that any patient presenting to an ER is entitled to evaluation and treatment for danger to life or limb. As an EMT I was quite happy to see them implemented.