Hospitalized due to dizziness/vertigo.Thought it was going to be much worse

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by S.O.Interceptor, Feb 28, 2010.

1. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

So a few days ago I go to the gym feeling less than optimal like I have lately. Tired and fatigued and barely able to complete workouts that I should breeze through. It's been this way since about the time my son got hospitalized. I thought at first it was just a lack of sleep and a quality diet. And maybe I had hit the end of my progression early. I was very wrong.

So the last bench workout I am so worn out I can't finish the 5th set of 5. I lose it on rep #4, have to rest a few minutes and come back to finish #4 and 5. Then I move onto the military press and finish my 5x5 with good form but it took a lot out of me to the point I could barely walk a straight line to the car. I go home, shower, and sleep into the evening. Get up, feel a little dizzy, eat a good meal, feel slightly better, come home and lye down and here comes the room spinning...... :rollingeyes: I go to bed thinking it's just fatigue and exhaustion.

Skip ahead to Saturday and I have head rushes every time I sit up, stand up, lie down, or otherwise change position. Plus I feel less than stellar at all times and have a pretty good headache. Get some more sleep but didn't feel much like eating.

So now it's Sunday morning and it's BAD!!! Here comes the true vertigo. I tell my wife something isn't right and after just a short while I tell her I have to go to the hospital because it's not getting better and I'm now convinced it's something in my head that won't go away. I was honestly scared to death I had popped something in my brain or had swelling or some such as it started right after I strained in the gym.

All of the pain killers, sleep, and food on the planet aren't going to help me anymore. I even tried squatting deep and drinking a gallon of milk. That made me feel worse. :shocked: I know, I was just as shocked as you are.

Hospital takes me in like every other chump coming in because they've got a cold and no insurance and can't go to a doctor. (For the record, I DO have insurance). They get me back, tell them my symptoms and things go in a code red direction fast. I fail the Horizontal Nystagmus Test the doctor gave me, which is not good.(hey ****er, that's my job) . EKG, blood work, IV with a hundred different drugs, x-rayss, and a CaT scan.

And the results are.......

My heart is in great condition. In fact the doc asked what type of athlete I am because of my low resting heart rate even when under stress. :dancing:

Great cholesterol, great blood pressure except when I was actively having a dizzy spell and/or vertigo, and my blood work looked good.

I am healthy as a horse ............

..... except for the little.... er.... uh..... massive infection that I didn't take care of in my bronchial cavity a few weeks ago that I picked up when my son was hospitalized, and has now infected my ear, nose, and throat cavities, giving me one hell of an inner-ear/equilibrium problem. It's also still in my chest making my chest heavy and slight shortness of breath as well as mucus discharge.

Basically if I had made time to get to a doctor and gotten antibiotics and steroids for my chest infection, I'd be fine today. I didn't have any free time for the doctor lately, but I admittedly didn't try to make any.

I will be feeling pretty crummy for a few days and I won't workout for at least 4 or 5 days, but I will get better. *sigh* My powerrack just got here and i was going to set it up and start my first week of 5-3-1 tomorrow. Not anymore.

Lessons learned:

Take the time to get to a medical professional. Taking care of a small problem today will prevent bigger problems tomorrow.

Don't be too proud to go to the hospital when the doctors aren't open. I did this for 2 days when I should've known better. If I had waited I may not have been able to function well enough tomorrow to do anything about it without EMS, if my regression was any sign.

Steroids rock!!!! It's that simple. Especially when given through an IV in the left arm directly below and inline of the heart. Not for performance reasons, just for overall health reasons.

Diazepam also rocks for the same reason as above. Especially when your head hurts too much to sleep.

Amoxicillin rocks because it's going to kill what ails me.

2. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

The best thing about a big shot of solumedrol is that, once it's got into you, even if it doesn't fix anything, it'll make you fee like you can leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Makes everything taste like ****, though.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010

3. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

S&C forum folks are falling apart!
    Get better, SOI.

4. S.O.Interceptor

Thank you, I will. Lots of steroid, antibiotics, and anti-spinny medicines will take care of it.

Now that I know it isn't something brain related, I can tough it out without worrying.

And now that I know I'll be okay, the worst part is that my power-rack still sits in pieces and my 5-3-1 will be put off until probably next week. I tried carrying the pieces inside yesterday and that was such a workout that I got winded and had to quit before I could assemble it. :crying:

5. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Get well SOI. Is your son better?

6. BradD

BradD

Wow, that stinks dude. Good thing it doesn't sound permanent. BTW, my Mom has occasional vertigo. I'm about 1/3 of the way to wishing I die first if I'm going to get that. Good thing you don't have that.

LOL, you know it's funny to be impatient or get in a hurry with regard to 5/3/1, right?

7. S.O.Interceptor

Yes, he is doing much better. Thank you for asking.

But I can get impatient about putting together my power rack.

8. proactive

proactive

Glad it wasn't anything more serious, SO. Also really glad to hear your son is OK.

9. BradD

BradD

Sure. It just struck me as funny. Like trying to get on a train 5 min. early for a 100 hour ride. 5/3/1 is about slow, slow, slow.

10. S.O.Interceptor

Well I will be going slow slow slow into 5-3-1. I'm taking all this week off completely for rest and recuperation. Then I will spend next week figuring out my true current maxes so I can begin the actual 5-3-1 the week after that.

11. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Taking Amoxicillin will require you to take acidophilus to rebuild the good bacteria in your bowls, ask me how I know this? :wow:

And don't take more than the recommended dose as that causes issues of it's own! ;)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  12. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I'm really pretty surprised they gave you Valium.

Were you at all nauseous from the vertigo? That's usually the first thing I notice along with a slight hearing loss (usually from one ear or the other).

I get vertigo about once a year and keep meclizine and phenergan on hand specifically for it. Most of my doctors tell me that inner ear infections are viral and that there's little to nothing they can do for that by itself. In your case, it's mushroomed. The last bout I had wasn't bad, but the time before I couldn't stand without puking. I carried a garbage can everywhere I went!

As for steriods, I'm on them as of yesterday as well. Saturday evening my face and neck started swelling. By Monday morning, I had a big red lesion on my face just underneath my eye and I've got a lump under my neck. The lesion was so large it made my left eye swell shut. They think I've had some sort of allergic reaction but they aren't sure of the cause. I've been given Cephalexin 500mg 3x a day and steriods for the next week or so to reduce the swelling. If this doesn't work, I'm going to have a cortizone injection to the face. Oh joy. In the meantime, my face is all lumpy looking and I feel like a caveman.

13. S.O.Interceptor

*sigh* And so begins day 3 of my planned 7 days off, day 5 of 9 if you count my usual days off of last Saturday and Sunday. I'm going nuts. I want to lift something darn it. :impatient: Oddly enough my desire to lift and move things is limited to Olympic style weights only and somehow has no affect on my desire to not do any household chores or lift such items as laundry. Funny how that works. Danged drugs they gave me in the hospital musta done it.

Hopefully I can at least get my powerrack together later and clean up my workout area.

Then I'll have to resist the urge to lift.

4 more days..... 4 more days......... 4 more .... ugh..... this sucks.......

I am taking exactly the amount prescribed. And I was not given any Acidophilus, so...... ?.. huhm.....

I have not taken any of the Diazepam and won't if I don't absolutely have to. Those were for the actual vertigo if it became a problem again, but it hasn't been since they drugged me up in the hospital. They also gave me some other pill for regular dizziness. I took a couple of them but no vertigo again so no Diazepam. I got a little nauseous from the vertigo but not enough to puke and it passed fairly quickly.

Sorry to hear about your problems. That's rough. Good luck with that. I had some unknown swelling and hives covering my entire body about a year ago. We never figured out what caused it but the steroids sure did kill it quick whatever it was. Hopefully they will for you too.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  14. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

What Blitzer is warning you about is the fact your antibiotic will kill ALL bacteria indescriminantly in your system. Lots of times this leaves women with yeast infections, but in men, you can come down with the "trots" when all good and bad bacteria is dead. Acidophilis puts these good cultures back in your GI tract. Bulgarian Buttermilk is usually my choice instead.

You're a lucky guy if you only were nauseous and didn't puke. That's been the way it had been for me, but once my body figured out it was possible to send me into such a spin that I actually got sick, it's happened more and more. It's just like being seasick and the effect is virtually identical where the nausea comes on so quick and powerful you just can't do anything about it.

Day 3 of Steriods for me. My facial swelling and neck swelling are down but not gone. I absolutely HATE the way I look right now.