close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Horses are a lot of work.....and expensive.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by M2 Carbine, Jul 16, 2012.

1. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Several of the neighbors are into horses. The neighbor on my East side has ten.

He started to teach me to ride over a month ago. I quickly hurt both my shoulders. The jury is still out whether it's torn tendons. (hurts)
    I've about decided at my age I break to easy.

Well, over a week ago my neighbor was training someones horse and the horse went up and over backward on my neighbor, breaking his pelvis. He will be down for a while.
    The owner of the ranch across the road, that saw it, said the horse tried to hurt rider. She was pissed. She said she would shoot that horse if it belonged to her.

Anyhow, now I'm having to feed and take care of five horses, two dogs and a pig twice a day.

I let two horses at a time have the run of my place for a few days at a time. That way they get more than hay and cubes to eat. My neighbor's place is nothing but dirt.

That's my neighbor's place on the tree line.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other day the horse, that I rode, wanted attention. It went over to the tractor and banged the seat up and down. I was sitting at the table and wouldn't pay any attention to the horse, so it came over and flipped over the table. :supergrin:
    [​IMG]

I'll be glad when my neighbor gets back on his feet. I'm too lazy, my shoulders hurt and it's getting too hot to take care of these big critters.

2. turretg

turretg

I couldn't do it. They must be like a dog or cat X 100.000.000. Best of luck.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

3. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

I've seen horses try to hurt people. I've had two take shots at me. They can kick, bite, or rear up and strike you. The kick and the strike can both kill you with one shot. Shot placement is more critical than power. (Where have I heard that before? :supergrin:)

One thing a horse won't do intentionally, is rear up and go over backwards. Rearing is something they will do, but falling is an accident.

I agree that horses are expensive, even if they aren't hurting you.

My wife and I went to IHOP one Valentine's day. We had other plans but she came off a horse and it stepped on her arm. It tore a big gash so we ended up in the ER. They had to clean and stitch it.

We went to IHOP while we were waiting for the drug store to fill her prescriptions. IHOP was right across the street.

Having dinner at IHOP was about $30 less than I would have spent in the nice place we were planning on going. She'd already met her deductible so the ER visit was free.

On that ONE occassion, a horse saved me some money.

4. Averageman

Averageman

I hate Horses.
    We had Horses when I was a kid, they are expensive dogs. The eat, crap and want and need attention, be that personal or veteranary constantly.
    My Uncle bread Horses and gave us several, never take a free Horse and never ride a Horse named "Crazy Dick"
    You shouldnt have a pet that causes stitches or a plaster cast.

5. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

6. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

Good advice.

My dogs broke one of my ribs but I didn't need a cast. A puppy did send me to the ER on New Year's Eve because he stepped in my open eye.

I'm still not getting rid of the dogs.

If my wife wants to get rid of HER horses. That's okay with me. She bought them, rides, drives and takes care of them. They are HERS... not mine!

7. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I know a few people who don't have two nickles to rub together, yet they have horses. Don't get me wrong, the horses aren't in danger and they live quite well; however, the owners are all poseurs and trying to be people they're not. We're in "horse-country" here, and that makes for some fakes.

8. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

We have two right now, and I've had one for the last 10 years or so. They are absolutely the most expensive pets I've ever had or heard of. Between the cost of housing (fencing, barn, whatever), food, tack, vet care, etc, it is absurdly expensive, and only worth it for those who really, really love them. If you can't keep them at your house and have to board (as in our case), and/or want to be able to take them places, which requires a truck and trailer (which we have), the costs rise even more.

That said, I wouldn't trade my Tennessee Walker, Flashy, for the world.

[​IMG]

9. Tx_Angus

Tx_Angus Wage Slave

We had horses when I was a kid, no jokes please, and those critters were always dying or some s%@t. So when I grew up I got me some horses.....under the hood!

10. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Horsed are not cheap. They are work. They also all have personalities. I have ridden horses that a VERY qualified female rider couldn't. It was because the former owner got it for his wife. She was NOT a rider. Horse would act up she quit, her husband would ride it and it behaved. So horse would act up until female gave up.
    I worked a youth camp/horse ranch. Loved it. I don't have horses because I know costs.

11. Glocksanity

Glocksanity

So are women and children.

12. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

After seeing all the bad neighbor threads on GT GNG all the time, its a breath of fresh air to see your post about helping your neighbor, even letting his horses run your property. I couldnt imagine many of the posters here doing that. I wish you were my neighbor, not so you would do me favors, but because thats the kind of neighbor I want to be also. I have two great neighbors and one that no one can stand, that goes out of thier way to be a bad neighbor.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  13. Restless28

Restless28

I'll take an ATV or dirt bike over a horse for the land.

14. NeverMore1701

We have both :supergrin:

15. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

The best way to enjoy horses is to be a hand on a horse ranch for a summer. No cost to you. In fact you get paid for it (sorta). Only problem is when you take a liking to a particular horse and when it's time to leave...:sad:

Having said that if I could afford them I'd have at least two.

16. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Horses are a big pain. They get hurt easy, and they hurt you easy. Lots of hot days too buggy to want to ride. Hay always comes on the hottest day of the year. The best riding weather shows up the same time as hunting season. Watering horses in 20 below weather is a chore, add a few feet of snow for even more work. Buying machines to help take care of your horse facilities is expensive. Weed eating around fence lines so hot wires don't ground out gets tiresome.

People who have horses are absolutely crazy :)

17. NeverMore1701

Tell me about it.

Was 107* when the latest truck came in :faint:

[​IMG]

18. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

An inside joke among the veterinary/feed/farm supply industry folks here is that "horse people" are the first to complain and the last to pay.

19. NeverMore1701

Sounds like a crappy place to be.

20. TactiCool

TactiCool

Nah, the best setup is to have friendly neighbors that have horses and will let you ride them. All I have to do is take a 5 minute walk over to the house next door and say "howdy."

Truth is, my neighbors breed dogs too and they often have close to one hundred of them at any given time, and they make tons of noise, all day long. But being the good neighbor that I am, I don't make a fuss over it. So yeah, they kind of owe me one. :supergrin: