close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Horrible Produce

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by SouthernGal, Feb 15, 2005.

1. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Maybe it is where I live, but here lately, most of the produce I'm seeing in local stores just looks pathetic. We really don't get a lot of selection here anyway and are forced to either buy at Kroger, Schnuck's or Wal-Mart. Schnuck's stuff usually looks the best but costs twice as much.

Can't spring get here any faster???

2. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

One thing I have noticed though, we seem to have more variety of produce year-round than we used to. Around here, of the chain stores, Kroger and Meijer are probably the best. We have some fresh markets that have opened recently and their produce is quite nice, but twice the price. Wild Oats here is good produce, and just a little more than the chains.

Showing my age here, but I remember my grandparents canning everything they grew in their huge garden, and them living all winter on it. I miss having a garden, they taught me their tricks. Of course I miss them too.

3. SouthernGal

We have FreshMarket here too, but the closest one is in Memphis so I'd have to drive out there. We used to have Wild Oats but they went out of business.

If spring would get here I'd be back out in the parent's garden myself. Nothing like knowing what you're eating didn't have pesticides put on it.

4. noway

noway

Wild Oats , wholefoods have some nice veggies but at a higher price. I found out down here the green-markets have better produce at just slight price. If you buy in bulk alot of foods are actually cheaper than the grocery store and more importantly taste better.

I agreed that the produce at most store is bad. I love cilantro and potatotes and lately neighter of these have been worth a damm at my across the street grocery stores.Alot of veggies should be ashamed tobe even classified as a vegetable.

5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I have found that what produce they do have is restaurant grade-better than discount grocer.

Although W-mart had some great green peppers last week.

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Fresh Market has great veggies most of the time too, although they are higher. I always get my eggplant there ;f

7. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

That's because it's become a world market now. More and more veggies and fruits are being raised in countrys like South America to take advantage of the offset growing seasons. Companys like Cherry Central here in Michigan are working to create a market for such things as Blueberrys grown in other countrys and importing them here so they'll be availible in the winter time...

I remember my dad telling me how even California veggies weren't availible here before refrigerated trucks. If you didn't stock pile enough in the root cellar for the winter time, you went with out...

8. noway

noway

That's so correct. I have a good friend who works for Del Monte/Miami. He told me alot of our fruits and veggies that us americans eat comes from abroad. He tracker of shipments and deliveries, so he see the shipments.

onions from chile
    tomatoes from mexico
    avocade from mexico/honduras
    bananna from everything in central/south america

You will be surprise on just how much fruits/veggies are produce right here in the USA. THey do it for the offset season but more so for the price. Off-shore fruits/veggies cost store less to buy. It all boils down todo the low dollar. if you don't believe me, next time look at the fruit and check out that label.

The local grown (IMHO) is better than any offshore items, but the price and availability is sparse.

9. XD40FAN

XD40FAN

I LOVE tomatoes!!! Sigh, but I haven't seen a decent one (bigger than a cherry) in MONTHS!!!! :(

10. SouthernGal

The last blueberries I picked up were marked from Chile. I put them back. I'm going to wait until the bushes here locally produce.

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I loved home canned tomatoes even more than fresh! I haven't had a good enough crop to really can in several years :(

12. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

I'm assuming it's because of the price... Yea, blues are expensive anyways. I saw some of the prices from the international blues. It's the shipping and distances that hurt. Blues don't last long refrigerated. They are literally shipped nextday air. And there's no point in importing frozen berrys. It's a relatively new endeavor. I can only hope the price will come down...

13. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I found a three pound bag at Costco for 5 or 6 dollars.

14. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

There's nothing you can't do with a frozen berry this time of the year that you can do with a fresh berry... Even eating it out of the bowl by hand, frozen is just as good...

15. SouthernGal

Actually they weren't all that expensive but I got to thinking about all the local farmers who sell their stuff and how my dollars were going back overseas. I decided I could wait and spend my money on some that were grown locally where the dollars would stay in my hometown--even if I had to pick them myself.

16. okie

okie GT Mayor

I am ready for grape season again;) ;f