close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hornady squib

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tlrbmd42, Aug 3, 2012.

1. tlrbmd42

tlrbmd42

Thursday I had a Hornady Critical Duty factory squib. The brass ejected and the bullet stopped 3/4 of the way down the barrel. Took the gunsmith 20min. to pound it out. Has anyone else had a problem like this with Hornady?
    135 gr #90236
    lot# 3120715

2. CaneyCat

CaneyCat

Never heard or had any problems Hornady, they have always been good to me.

3. alank2

alank2

Hi,

If you have a reloading scale, you can always weigh your carry ammo. When I load using the same brass, I usually end up with a spread of +/- 0.6 grains, much smaller than the normal amount of powder you would find in a factory round. You can also drop them all in a case gauge to ensure they are uniformly sized as well.

Good luck,

Alan

4. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

yes just a few weeks ago was out with the wife testing her .380 Hornadys and had one round just go puff and lots of smoke, thankfully it made it out the barrel hit my balistic gel and just left a outline on it, needless to say I will not use anymore hornadys, just not impressed with there performance into gel compared to the other brands I tested.. only use Winchester Ranger T's and Federal HST's and Speer GoldDots...

5. Jagged

Jagged

Good advice there... I've weighed out some bulk-pack .22LR using my reloading scale, but never thought to weigh my carry ammo.

I can't believe I never thought of this. For a box of 50 rounds, this takes at most a couple minutes, and considering that your "carry ammo" lasts a little while in your magazines... its really not that much effort for peace of mind with the desire of uniformity (and most likely more effective that the "500 rounds of carry ammunition through your gun" argument).

6. alank2

alank2

Hi,

Absolutely. Not only that, you can do a second pass and separate the most consistent stuff to save for your carry ammo and use the slightly less consistent (on the ends of the measurement) as you test ammo. As you want to absolutely count on the reliability of carry ammo, I don't see how you can go wrong weighing and case gauging it.

Good luck,

Alan

7. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Good idea. How many ounces is that deviation? I have a postal scale, I think down to . 1 ounce, do you think that would do it?

8. jeremy1

jeremy1

You need to contact Hornady right away and let them know this. This is the kind of thing that blows up guns and they need to investigate to see if they have a manufacturing problem. There were a lot of Glock 37's that were damaged because of American Eagle ammo that produced squibs.

9. MikeG36

MikeG36

Not good. That's my carry round. :shocked:

10. alank2

alank2

Hi,

0.1 ounce = 43.75 grains which is not nearly accurate enough. You need 1 grain accuracy at worst (0.002 ounce) and preferably 0.1 grain accuracy (0.0002 ounce). A 0.01 gram or better scale should do it. There are a lot of cheap scales on eBay, Amazon, etc.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_common.htm

Good luck,

Alan

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  11. normal.guy

normal.guy

ive never heard of hornady issues.

12. Glock40man

Glock40man

I have never had an an issue with Hornady ammunition.