Hornady powder measure question?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by M4J0R T0M, Mar 27, 2010.

1. M4J0R T0M

M4J0R T0M

Hey guys,

I have a question about my Hornady powder measure. I just got my press yesterday and I'm getting everything set up, but I didnt get any One Shot gun cleaner like the video says to use to clean the measure. Can I use CLP?

Thanks.

I'll post a pic of my new toy after I get everything put together.

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Just use some rubbing alcohol. Clean the whole thing with wet cleaning patches or some other lint free rag... wipe it again with a dry rag then just let it air dry for a few minutes.

Jack

3. M4J0R T0M

M4J0R T0M

Ur the man. So CLP shouldn't be used? Or is it ok?

Is alcohol just better?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  4. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Anytime I need to remove an oily film off any piece of equipment, be it moulds, dies, whatever, I just use rubbing alcohol.

I keep a bottle of it on the bench with a handful of Q-Tips... been doing it that way since I was a few days old and my mother cleaned my ears. Still seems to work.

I really don't know about CLP in a powder measure, may leave a film which would cause your powder to stick... might work though. :dunno:

Jack

5. M4J0R T0M

M4J0R T0M

Yeah, I tried the CLP and it left a film like you said. I just switched over to alcohol and it's coming along nicely.

6. M4J0R T0M

M4J0R T0M

Should I clean off my dies in the same manner? They seem to have an oily film on them also.

7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Yes, absolutely. Tear them down completely and clean everything... will only take a couple of minutes.

Jack

8. M4J0R T0M

M4J0R T0M

Thanks again, Mr. Jack.

I guess I would up a creek without a paddle if you weren't on here today. Or any other day for that matter.

Pics to come this evening!!!

9. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

I just set up one case activated measure for pistol today (I have one dedicated to rifle) and had a hell of a time with it sticking in the up or powder drop position. I cleaned the hell out of everything with One shot clean/lube before I put it all together. Not sure if it is sticking in the linkage or the drum. Good luck with your set up Tom.

10. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

But...

After you clean the powder measure with alcohol, still be on the lookout for One Shot Cleaner. It's great for all kinds of stuff. I buy it by the carton because I go through it so fast.

11. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

CLP is the exact OPPOSITE of what you need to use. You need these parts to be completely free of oil & grease... not cleaned in it.

I've tried the alcohol too (as well as brake cleaner, which was a terrible idea.) Nearly 100% alcohol will work pretty well, but watch for flash rusting. One Shot is absolutely the best product for this task, in my opinion... because it doesn't just clean the part, it also applies a nice thin layer of dry lubrication.

thorn

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010