close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hornady LNL AP ???

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jing1117, Mar 4, 2010.

1. jing1117

jing1117

I have just finished setting up this massive press (very impressed with the make and quality) but I have noticed something that made me post and ask.

I have noticed the DROP TUBE being scraped really bad on one one side when it goes up and down the MEASURE ADAPTER. Is this normal? has anyone experienced this - if yes, how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance...

2. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

The drop tube has a nice shine on it when new but it will get dull looking after use. The powder measurer pulls toward the return spring thats why you just see it on one side. I've read where some guys remove the return spring because the weight of the whole assembly is more than enough.
    I didn't remove mine but took some of the tension off of it, I think it's there for safety so I'm leaving it on?
    I used the Hornady cleaned/dry lube on all the moving parts, it reduces the wear.
    Mine ain't all pretty and shiny now either but it's not really scraping and seems to just be breaking in.

Bob

3. Jumper

Jumper

Its a tight fit on mine but it still clears.

4. jing1117

jing1117

Yes, the scrape is on the side where the return spring is. I just checked the scrape that I saw, it cut in deep with just 50 or so up and down movement.

I will try to lessen the tension on the spring. I have finished polishing the lip of the measure adapter as well and I hope this helps. I will post results after I do the modifications.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  5. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

It's just the metal-on-metal, rubbing together and in effect polishing itself. There's nothing to be concerned about, unless it's putting gouges in the tube. If it's actually cutting INTO the steel, then you have a bad part and it needs to be replaced.

thorn