Hornady HAP Bullets

Discussion in '10mm Reloading Forum' started by billdean, Feb 8, 2013.

1. billdean

billdean

Has anyone did any wax testing on the 10mm 200 grain Hornady Hap bullets. I am curious on how much they expand if any. I know the intended use for them but the accuracy and feed reliability they claim has me wanting to know more as compared to say the Beartooth hardcast bullets. Would the penetration be as good or better than hardcast? Would they hold up to heavy bone?

2. gofastman

gofastman

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013

3. Meathead9

Meathead9

For a 10mm handgun in the woods, you won't find a better bullet than the 200gr WFNGC.

4. ctious

ctious

Wfn for sure. You can skip the gas check. Honestly in the 10mm I have yet to see a need for it. Besides to add cost.

5. Meathead9

Meathead9

Does anyone make a non-gas checked 200gr WFN? If I was casting my own, I'd drop the gas check for sure, but that's not the case.

6. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

Hornady also makes a 200 grain FMJ FP that has a thick jacket and would be a much better choice for deep penetration than their HAP. Double Tap use to load them but switched to the Montana Gold FMJ a few years ago. Both have thick jackets and are very reliable in my Glock 29. SKU 40077B.

7. gofastman

gofastman

too bad Barnes doesnt make one of their Buster bullets in .40/10mm

8. billdean

billdean

Yes, I would much rather have the 200 grain FMJ FN but try and find them now. Midway had the HAP's the other day so I got 500 to try.

9. Meathead9

Meathead9

FMJ's suck for anything other than bare gelatin penetration. The TC profile of 10mm FMJ's doesn't do much damage as far as the wound channel, and causes deflection when bone is hit. The Bear Tooth 200gr WFNGC or maybe a 200gr XTP is what you're looking for in the woods. The HAP is a competition pistol bullet. It has a very shallow HP cavity, and no relief cuts in the jacket to aid in expansion. Great for practice, not so great for defense.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  10. billdean

billdean

I agree with you Meathead. I did not no this of the FMJ's though. I also load a lot of the Bear Tooth 200gr WFNGC Bullets. That is my carry load here in Alaska. I also load the DT 230 grain hard cast. I believe I have been leaning more toward the 200 grain Bear Tooth through. I just thought maybe the Hap's might be worth a look. I think I will stick to the 200 grain Bear Tooth after seeing and hearing yours and others responses. Thanks for your input!