close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hornady Critical Duty in Glock 43

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by crystal river c, Nov 16, 2017.

1. crystal river c

crystal river c

Was wondering if anyone uses the Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain FlexLock in their Glock 43?
    Was wanting some onions before I ordered some.
    Thanks in advance,
    Charlie

2. GP4L

GP4L

I'm sure plenty of folks use it and trust it, as they should - until they have a reason not to. I had an "interesting" experience with Hornady ammo, and their CS department. Made the switch to Federal HST and haven't looked back.

timmay, mrmike7189, Nomar9mm and 4 others like this.

3. Keith Pierson

Keith Pierson Exploring Alternate Routes

CD is for "Duty" pistols. It needs a long barrel to work as intended. Hornady doesn't specify, but about 4.5 in seems to be the sweet spot for them, and a lot of pistols don't have a 4.5 in barrel.
    It might be fine. Many aren't interested in "might" when so many other things could go wrong.
    It will dependably send out a round though.

4. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

It will work fine if you ever need to use it. People put way too much thought into their carry ammo. Any name brand HP should do what you need it to do.

MSP Sarge, Kooch, ennis and 10 others like this.
  5. fl_snub_noz

fl_snub_noz

the critical duty was designed for full size duty guns and is s barrier blind round meaning it was designed with the fbi’s barrier/gel penetration protocols.. the critical defense version performs well in the glock 43 and is also mild to shoot and accurate. go here to see how it performed with a 3.5” barrel
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

6. Gimax

Gimax

I only used Critical Defense 115g and they ran great.
    In the end switched defensive ammo to 124 HST's because I found it on sale for cheap :D

7. dudel

dudel

I use the CD in my G43. Works just fine.

MikeG36 likes this.
  8. Dcc65

Dcc65 State of Jefferson Resident

I don't own a 43 but I do carry hornaday critical duty in my Glock26 and my s&w shield 9mm
    Absolutely 100% reliable. Imo pretty much any good name brand s.d. ammo will get the job done.

mrmike7189, porschedog and jimbojdb1 like this.
  9. 1SGMP

1SGMP Veteran

I never could really grasped intentionally plugging up a hollow point bullet and expecting it to work. almost all ballistics tests are geared to hoping the hollow point does NOT get plugged by clothing, bone, flesh etc etc.
    Having said that they seem to work

10. GcB

GcB Can't type, don't spell, what's grammar.

I've used both in my 43 and never a hiccup. The critical duty is shown to over penetrate a little from the short barrel of the 43, while the critical defense stays inside the FBI's penetration parameters in ballistic gel.

Dcc65, newseditor and 4949shooter like this.
  11. PetePerfection

PetePerfection

I use the duty in my Glock 19 and it works great. Only shot 15 rounds of it. The next 15 rounds hopefully I will never have to discharge as that would mean someone is getting killed.

12. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

White, yellow, red, Vidalia? If you're not looking for anything in particular, Walmart is usually fine for onions. For fresh fruit I recommend a higher end grocery store.

River Tam, Nomar9mm, Emmalee and 6 others like this.
  13. JamesIra

JamesIra

Take a look at these tests by luckygunner: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#standards. As new ammo comes available, they update their testing. They give details about how they test as well as the guns used to produce the results. They may not be the end all tests to end all, but the results are there for you to make a determination as to compare your chosen ammo versus all of the others that were tested.

From the looks of it in the 9mm ammo Hornady Critical Duty doesn't expand well out of a 3.5 inch barrel but many others do.

If you put stock in these results, I would choose a differnet cartridge.

plumber802 and Puros_bran like this.
  14. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

My 2 choices in carry ammo are Hornady Critical Defense 115gr
    And Federal HST 124gr in my Glock 43......sure they will do their job if I do mine

I carry the HST 147gr in my Walther PPS M2

15. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

Personally, I'm a Gold Dot guy, but that's just me. If you're curious how well it performs, take a look at the Lucky Gunner ballistic chart. If the results there make you feel comfy, go for it. As an example, I carry 180 gr Gold Dots in my .40 PX4. Thought about trying something hotter and going with the 165 gr version. After 4 layers of denim and entering a block of ballistic gel, they did not expand, and traveled about 26", way over penetrating. My 180 gr GD's penetrating about 14", expanded every time and impressively.

Take a look at your prospective round, then compare the results to the 115 gr Gold Dots. You might be surprised. Check it out, as it's more than opinion, it shows the results in several ways making you an informed purchaser.

newseditor and Richard Taracka like this.
  16. rfd339

rfd339

17. rfd339

rfd339

18. MikeG36

MikeG36

I use it in my G19, 26 and 43. It runs great. I'm sure it will get the job done.

Dcc65 likes this.
  19. Puros_bran

Puros_bran

I keep my 43 & 34 stoked with Barnes Tac-XPD.

Peteperfection said he has only fired 15 rounds of his SD ammo in his carry piece. Regardless of what anyone carries, I hope you shoot a box or two per year of your carry ammo, and as much non-carry ammo as you can budget. 'Will it feed' is just one of the questions. Does it suffer from FTF or FTE? Does it shoot to point of aim? Is it prone to bullet set-back?

Rock_Castle stated we worry too much about SD Ammo, that any name brand hp will do. I don't really think so. Especially considering there's 9mm expanding over double its size, and 9mm that leaves the barrel at .355 and when it is dug out of the tree behind the guy you shot it's still .355. Bullet selection matters. Besides, every time Caliber Wars come up the 9mm Acolytes spout the prophetic message from on high about how modern bullet design makes a 9mm equal to a 44 Magnum. (Yes I'm being a little snarky but Paul Harrell had to do a video addressing the 9mm = 357mag nonsense)

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I would direct you to luckygunners lab, tnoutdoor9, and ammoquests videos, blog posts, and articles. We all know that gel doesn't equate to human bodies but it does seem to proof itself out in reported shootings.

20. MikeG36

MikeG36

I don't know who this guy is or what his qualifications as a ballistics expert are but, while he mentioned the FBI protocol calling for a maximum of 18 inches of penetration, he didn't follow it. The protocol calls for the use of four layers of denim. That may have changed things a bit. Who knows. Just keeping it honest. BTW, for me, that level of penetration is preferable.