Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this happened about a month ago, and I wanted to wait until after speaking with the manufacturer before I posted a story about https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...-luger-115-grain-flex-tip-expanding-box-of-25 .
Well, I received zero response, so here's what happened...

Based on prior recommendations, I bought a few boxes of Hornady CD 115g, obviously for home defense, and like everybody should do - I wanted to run a mag or two through my stock G19 to verify that my gun and ammo get along. So I warmed up with 30 rounds of Magtech 115g FMJ I had in my range bag, gun was clean and lubed prior. The G19 was running flawlessly (no surprise there), and I was shooting pretty well too. Then I changed my silhouette (full size), set it about 15 feet away (same distance as my first 30), and loaded the first magazine of Critical Defense. My first 3 shots felt fine, the gun cycled no problem, but I didn't hit the target at all! I have no idea where they went. Now, I'm not a professional or anything, I've only taken a couple pistol classes, but I can EASILY hit a human sized torso at 15 feet, and almost as easily punch keyholes all over the target with ball ammo, and other defensive ammo I've tested. So at this point I'm a little confused, but I take aim again and squeeze. Failure to fire. I took a look at my watch, and waited about a minute with the gun pointed downrange while getting the attention of a range officer - which after that I dropped the mag, and ejected the round. We saw a painfully obvious full strike on the primer, completely identical to the other 3 spent shells that had landed on the bench, and the range officer disposed of the dud accordingly.

In my home, I'd likely be defending myself from that "bump in the night" from 15-25 feet from my primary defensive position. Well with that ammo's trend - 3 misses at 15 feet, and then a failure to fire... Yeah, if that "bump in the night" started shooting at me, instead of running away, I'd be dead... I'm really, REALLY glad that the first weapon I'd grab is a 870 tactical, and the second is a G19... I won't even get started on if that hypothetical defensive situation played out in public. I've since found "defensive ammo" from another manufacturer that I've deemed trustworthy.

Has anybody recently experienced this with Hornady ammo?

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
118,316 Posts
Hard to imagine missing a torso at 15 feet (5 yards) with any firearm, but I'm not doubting your word, which has the ring of truth about it.

Can you test the rest of the ammo?
Also, can you update this thread after hearing from Hornady?

Their website lists this link:
http://www.hornady.com/contact_us?g=1

and also this phone number:
  • 800-338-3220

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to imagine missing a torso at 15 feet (5 yards) with any firearm, but I'm not doubting your word, which has the ring of truth about it.

Can you test the rest of the ammo?
Also, can you update this thread after hearing from Hornady?

Their website lists this link:
http://www.hornady.com/contact_us?g=1

and also this phone number:
  • 800-338-3220
Definitely can.

I did use that link for email contact, but I'll try calling them too.
Hopefully for everybody's sake, I found the rounds that slipped through QC, as I know how popular this ammo is - hence my hesitation to make waves.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I've always hated those old dirty, hole-filled targets. Use them only once and then have to discard them. That's why I make an effort to keep mine as clean, and without all of those holes, as I possibly can. That way they can be used time after time!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've always hated those old dirty, hole-filled targets. Use them only once and then have to discard them. That's why I make an effort to keep mine as clean, and without all of those holes, as I possibly can. That way they can be used time after time!
Lol, what?

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
I've tested Hornady Critical Defense in 9mm and .45 before in various pistols. They all went bang and pretty much hit where I aimed the guns.

However, there's probably a bad batch or two of ammo floating around.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He thought that you might have shot into the same holes on the target that you've shot before instead of using a clean target or holes-taped-up target.
Ah. Then he didn't read the sentence where I noted that I changed out my target.

·
Registered
32,369 Posts
Yeah I don't know what's going on with the accuracy but I find it hard to believe the ammo is responsible for missing a silhouette at only 15 feet. That can happen if you shoot 9mm through a 40 barrel but I assume that's not the case here.

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
Did you shoot the rest of that ammo box? I would and I'd even bring in another shooter to shoot the same gun just to get some impartiality.

The dud round thing is not that big of a deal to me because things happen. That round is probably the one in hundred thousandth that was badly loaded and you happened to draw the bad straw.

The other three bullets missing the target entirely, that's something I'd try to figure out.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I never had a problem ever with Hornady..Clean G19 or dirty..Fires reliably and the same as usual. I know this doesn't solve your problem with Critical Defense..But have you tried Critical Duty? I switched awhile back..and now I only use Critical Duty 135gr standard and +P version...

·
Registered
14,815 Posts
The dud is not acceptable in defense ammo.

I can't think of anything that could possibly be wrong with a cartridge to miss a fullsize silhouette at 15'. Even if they were somehow not stabilizing, they shouldn't be off paper. The only time I see complete misses is when the shooter flinches and closes their eyes.

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
Of course duds aren't acceptable in defense ammo, but you think that there's an ammo manufacturer that can guarantee 100% foolproof loading of their defensive ammo? That in the tens of millions of rounds of ammo manufactured, there will be no mistakes made?

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
Even without stabilization of any kind, at that distance the rounds should of been on paper.

Reactions: ronin.45

·
Registered
14,815 Posts
Of course duds aren't acceptable in defense ammo, but you think that there's an ammo manufacturer that can guarantee 100% foolproof loading of their defensive ammo? That in the tens of millions of rounds of ammo manufactured, there will be no mistakes made?
Of course bad rounds will sneak through. I just mean that Hornady should make it right with a refund or replacement.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I never had a problem ever with Hornady..Clean G19 or dirty..Fires reliably and the same as usual. I know this doesn't solve your problem with Critical Defense..But have you tried Critical Duty? I switched awhile back..and now I only use Critical Duty 135gr standard and +P version...
I have not, but I'll give it a try when I'm due to change my defense ammo out.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I can't think of anything that could possibly be wrong with a cartridge to miss a fullsize silhouette at 15'. Even if they were somehow not stabilizing, they shouldn't be off paper. The only time I see complete misses is when the shooter flinches and closes their eyes.
I wish I could say that I did something stupid to explain a complete miss at that distance, but I can't. I'm thinking about having a friend of mine run the remaining ammo from that box for me, through my G19 - he's 17 years with the CPD, has been in more than 1 gunfight, and takes firearm manipulation very, very seriously.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I don't know what's going on with the accuracy but I find it hard to believe the ammo is responsible for missing a silhouette at only 15 feet. That can happen if you shoot 9mm through a 40 barrel but I assume that's not the case here.
Correct assumption. Like I said - I wish I could explain what *I* did. I've been shooting handguns since I was 15 - I'm turning 31 next month... I know that doesn't mean I'm an expert, but I'm definitely not a rookie either.

I don't think squibs would be the cause - because I probably would have issues with the gun cycling, and/or the projectile leaving the barrel, right? Can't say I've ever had a squib round that I can recall. Just one other occasion where a round failed to fire (S&B 230g .45acp).

·
Registered
30,411 Posts
I don't think I could come up with a load/bullet for any gun that will miss a target that large at 5 yards.
And over the years I've shot some pretty sorry ammo.

First thing I'd do is get your (experienced) friend to shoot the gun/ammo.

A dud primer isn't that unusual.

If anything unusual happens, like a squib load, check the barrel for a stuck bullet before you do anything else.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts