Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So I picked up another box of 9mm Hornady Critical Defense from my LGS to squirrel away with my ammo stock since November is coming up quick and it may be hard to find in the near future. When I got home and opened the box, I noticed something was different...the primers and the writing on the bottom of the casing. The primers in this box are a silver color when all of the other boxes of Critical Defense that I have had brass colored primers. The writing on the bottom of the casing is also different, which I'm not concerned about.

Does anybody else's have the silver (nickel) primers? If so, have you shot any of them and is there any difference?

I attached a picture of the brass vs nickel primers, along with two of the different lot numbers (higher lot number is the new nickel primers)

I know there probably isn't a difference, but I'm just wondering...

Thoughts?

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
The silver primers are the new ATF specified "civilian primers", with a 1 year (average) life span. They were designed and quietly implemented in order to eventually disarm the American public by way of choking off the ammunition supply...

Orrrrr, they might have just switched the primer color with no real meaning at all, not sure... :winkie:

·
Code-7A KUZ769
3,251 Posts
Lot numbers will always change due to different production runs. If they run out of their regular gold colored brass primer cups they'll buy primers from other sources, same with their cases. The dot(s) that you see on their headsramps designate that the case came from a different manufacturer.

Reactions: Jsferrazza

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Hey Guys,

So I picked up another box of 9mm Hornady Critical Defense from my LGS to squirrel away with my ammo stock since November is coming up quick and it may be hard to find in the near future. When I got home and opened the box, I noticed something was different...the primers and the writing on the bottom of the casing. The primers in this box are a silver color when all of the other boxes of Critical Defense that I have had brass colored primers. The writing on the bottom of the casing is also different, which I'm not concerned about.

Does anybody else's have the silver (nickel) primers? If so, have you shot any of them and is there any difference?

I attached a picture of the brass vs nickel primers, along with two of the different lot numbers (higher lot number is the new nickel primers)

I know there probably isn't a difference, but I'm just wondering...

Thoughts?

What did the LGS not have anything made by Federal, Speer, Remington, Corbon, Winchester?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What did the LGS not have anything made by Federal, Speer, Remington, Corbon, Winchester?
Nope. They usually have more of a selection, but this time my options were: Magtech Guardian Golds, Hornady American Gunner, or Hornady Critical Defense.

This isn't where I usually go for ammo, but just figured I would get a box to stash away while I was there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.