close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hornady Critical Defense - bad luck/experience

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Sharky7, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

I've read a few posts here and there about bad primers with Hornady Critical Defense, but didn't expect to have any problems of my own.

After hearing so much internet hype about the Critical Defense .380 round, I figured I would give it a shot in my Ruger LCP. A few months ago, I purchased a $25 box of 25 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense, $1/round.

Took it to the range today and put about 200 rounds of ammo through the LCP. No problems with anything except for the Hornady Critical Defense.

2 primer failures. Pulled the trigger, struck the primer, nothing...nada. I manually ejected the round and saw the mark on the back of the round. The gun did its part, but the round didn't.

Also 1 failure to feed that left the front of the bullet partially deformed.

Not trying to be a "hater" for all you guys who like Hornady Critical Defense....but wanted to pass along some first hand information that the primers may be a problem. Another good reminder no matter what ammo you use that you test it to make sure it works for you and your gun.

2. DRT

DRT

Look at it this way, you're out a few bucks but at least you found the problem on the range and not in a "critical" self defense situation.

3. remat

remat

I would call Hornady, their CS is amazing. They also need to be aware of it. I have a few boxes I think I will run through my 380's to check...Thanks for the heads up.

4. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

i cant speak to the CD ammo, never shot it, but the other hornaday i have shot has been good stuff!

no offence mate but doesnt the LCP deform all of the bullets except for the one in the chamber?

:whistling:

5. johnydoe

johnydoe

I have heard the same problem with Hornady Critical Defense and LCP.

6. N/Apower

N/Apower

There were lots of posts to this effect on AR15.com a few weeks ago.

7. PATRICE

PATRICE . . . . .

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  8. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I've got 2 LCPs and our carry ammo is CD. Before carrying it, I shot numerous ammo brands / types. I've had zero problems with the CD rounds. I've shot several boxes between my LCPs. They all went bang. I even shot 2 magazines filled with rounds that sat in water for a few days...my wife's doing, don't ask :upeyes: But they went bang too.

Like others said, I'd call their customer service and complain. These rounds are not cheap and worst yet...people rely on them for their well being. They need to be informed that you experienced problems.

9. Apothecurious

Apothecurious Pharmacist

As far as I know Hornady is already aware of this issue. Do you happen to remember if the rounds you had issues with had nickel or brass primers? If I'm correct, most of the issues were occurring with the older nickel primers. All critical defense rounds now have brass primers in them.