Glock Talk banner

Hornady Critical Defense (.40 S&W)

2555 Views 12 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  MarkCO
Hi all,

This past Sunday I purchased a Glock 23 and took it to the range yesterday, putting 50 rounds of 180 grain Blazer Brass FMJ ammunition through it in which I had 0% failures of any kind! I also bought a 20-shell pack of Hornady Critical Defense .40 S&W 165gr FTX rounds. Is this suitable to fire through the Glock as well?
I read somewhere that the only bullets that should be fired through the Glock are ones with FMJ and am uncertain regarding the Hornady rounds.

Thanks,

Joe
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Hi all,

This past Sunday I purchased a Glock 23 and took it to the range yesterday, putting 50 rounds of 180 grain Blazer Brass FMJ ammunition through it in which I had 0% failures of any kind! I also bought a 20-shell pack of Hornady Critical Defense .40 S&W 165gr FTX rounds. Is this suitable to fire through the Glock as well?
I read somewhere that the only bullets that should be fired through the Glock are ones with FMJ and am uncertain regarding the Hornady rounds.

Thanks,

Joe
I have fired every brand of HP's I have gotten my hands on through my Glocks without issue including handloads and plated without issue. Imho you should have no problems with the Hornadys. Best advice is fire a few and see if they do what you are looking for. The 23 is a great gun and one of my favorites. I carry that round in my G36 .45 acp. Have fun shooting!

· Registered
1,226 Posts
Welcome aboard. Congrats on the 23. It should run whatever you want to feed it. Buy whatever factory ammo you want and shoot it like you stole it. Hard to beat HST, and Gold Dot for defense rounds. Critical defense is a fine choice as well.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
The hollow points should be fine. Glock recommends only jacketed bullets but that includes hollow points like the ones you bought. Cast bullets without a jacket can results in lead deposits building up in the barrel. This leading can happen with any gun but the smooth polygonal rifling used by Glock makes the problem worse than barrels with sharp cut rifling.

I have fired lots of jacketed hollow points through Glocks and never had a problem.

· Registered
6,079 Posts
Let's see "... I purchased a Glock ... I had 0% failures of any kind ..." sounds about right to me.

· Registered
3,694 Posts
The hollow points should be fine. Glock recommends only jacketed bullets but that includes hollow points like the ones you bought. Cast bullets without a jacket can results in lead deposits building up in the barrel. This leading can happen with any gun but the smooth polygonal rifling used by Glock makes the problem worse than barrels with sharp cut rifling.

I have fired lots of jacketed hollow points through Glocks and never had a problem.
:thumbsup: What he said! :thumbsup:

· Registered
1 Posts
I purchased hornady critical defense 165 gr ftx rounds. I have a .40 barrel for my glock 32. This is the first issue I've ever had. The casings on every round are slightly too large I have to slap the slide forward on almost every round. But that is the only cycling issue I have

· Super Moderator
9,084 Posts
I purchased hornady critical defense 165 gr ftx rounds. I have a .40 barrel for my glock 32. This is the first issue I've ever had. The casings on every round are slightly too large I have to slap the slide forward on almost every round. But that is the only cycling issue I have
7 year old thread, but hey.

I'll bet a dollar to a donut it has nothing to do with the case, but the OAL with a short chamber on an aftermarket barrel.

If you want help, get some photos and post in the Gunsmithing section and folks will point you in the right direction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.