Hornady 9mm 135gr +P CD in Clear Ballistics Gel.

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by 5pins, May 16, 2018.

1. 5pins

5pins Millennium Member

[​IMG]

Test Gun: Sig P229, Beretta Nano.
    Barrel length: 3.9, 3 inches.
    Ammunition: Hornady 9mm 135gr +P Critical Duty FTX.
    Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.
    Distance: 10 feet.
    Chronograph: PACT 1 XP with inferred sky screens.
    Five shot velocity average: 1070fps, 1018fps
    Gel Temperature 70 degrees.

Back in November I tried out the Hornady 9mm 135gr Critical Duty standard velocity and came away disappointed with its performance in heavy clothing. So disappointed in fact I stopped the test after the first round in heavy clothing passed through both 16-inch blocks of clear gel. With the announcement that the FBI was adopting the +P version of this round, I decided to order a box and give a try.

Out of the Sig P229, I got an average velocity of 1070fps with a high of 1096fps and a low of 1052. Hornady lists the velocity out of a 4-inch barrel at 1110fps so I was coming in just 40fps under that. This is a very shot shooting load and point of aim was spot on at 10 yards.

[​IMG]

It also shot point of aim out of the Beretta Nano but with the small sights, small grip, and long gritty trigger I just can’t shoot it as well as the Sig. the 5 shot average velocity was 1018fps with a high of 1026fps and a low of 1011fps. It was also a nice soft shooting round out of this small pistol.

[​IMG]

Out of the Sig, the first round in the bare gel had a velocity of 1060fps and penetrated to 19 inches with a recovered diameter of .46 inches. The second round impacted at 1054fps penetrated to 18.25 inches with an expansion of .45 inches.

[​IMG]

In the heavy clothing gel, the first round hit at a velocity of 1074fps with a penetration of 22 inches and expanded to .43 inches. Round two went to 20.75 inches, with a velocity of 1054fps and also expanded to .43 inches.

[​IMG]

Out of the Nano, the first round in the bare gel had a velocity of 1015fps, penetrated to 19 inches and expanded to .45 inches. Round two’s velocity was 1038fps and went 18.5 inches in the gel and also expanded to .45 inches. The performance out of the Nano was very similar to the Sig.

[​IMG]

http://www.general-cartridge.com/

bunk22 and happie2shoot like this.
  2. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

I’m underwhelmed. I would like to see more expansion from critical duty rounds.

3. Bring_it!

Bring_it!

Thanks for the post.

4. Keith Pierson

Keith Pierson Exploring Alternate Routes

That is pretty much what I've seen out of every Critical Duty profile. Maybe a bit better. They concentrate on barriers and penetration, and do this pretty well.
    Not the most impressive in gel or testing. It will be interesting how it shakes down in the streets.

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

The FBI will probably change again within a year or two.

6. collim1

collim1 Because Alexa said so!

This is my new issued duty load. I’m still not sure how I feel about it. It’s consistent through barriers, but the expansion, even in bare gel, always seems very minimal.

7. Keith Pierson

Keith Pierson Exploring Alternate Routes

I agree with you, but it needs to be pointed out that the projectile is giving it everything it has, I was mocked here not long ago when I made the comment that I thought CD wasn't all that and a bag of chips.
    I don't care about that, and agree is is doing all it can, I just question the whole idea. Hornady has been around for a long time. They state clearly this is a "Duty" round and should be used in FS barrels, and the longer the better, so to speak. Many consider a FS barrel 4 inches these days. It needs to be longer IMHO, but the pictured rounds show full expansion and penetration.

8. paragon1

paragon1

They are for barriers and digging deep which LEAs are all about right now.. That’s all the expansion they are going to give. The CD .40 and .45 seem to have similar characteristics.

9. unit1069

unit1069

I'll stick with the Federal 135-grain Tactical Bonded +P I still have if I want to go to a heavy-for-caliber round.

10. Hank Was Right

Hank Was Right

I like it. Looks like it would be a great LE round. Consistent penetration and reliable expansion.

Everyone gets caught up in the expansion measurement of the projectile after it has come to rest. If you’ll look at the bullets, they completely expanded. Meaning at one time during its path, the jacket reached its approximate maximum diameter. I would only consider the OP’s original numbers bad if it was obvious the jackets had only partially opened. Or if only half or a third of them opened.

Almost every 9mm +p CD test I’ve seen or done looks a lot like this one. The bullet really doesn’t seem to care about what it has to go through to reach the target medium. That’s impressive.

11. paragon1

paragon1

Yeah.
    Yeah. The idea that a petal might reach out 1/32” to maybe nick an artery that another wouldn’t is kind of a stretch. If it does, that’s not enough to cause major bleeding. Bullets that have a deeper crush cavity cause more damage than a wide shallower Bullet.

That said, I use HST124 standard pressure. . They are also a consistent performer that usually go 14” or so in jello monsters.

Hank Was Right likes this.