Hornady 762x39 123g SST fired ammo tight 'large' primer pockets

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by nerr, Jan 12, 2020.

1. nerr

nerr

Warning with a question at the end:

Fired some Hornady 762x39 123g SST ammo (lot#3181524). Shot very well. But when I went to reload the cleaned cases, WLR primer would not go in with normal pressure with my handheld primer tool so I did not force it. It was not crimped (see Hornady reply). And it was NOT small primer (though Hornady does make cases like that: I bought some). I have some primer go-no-go tools and it was definitely too big for small primer and the large 'just right size' tool would not budge into the primer hole.

Asked Hornady about it. Hornady's prompt answer to my email contact:

"That case has a large primer pocket and you will, most likely, find the primer pockets are tight due to the fact this is primarily a semi-auto cartridge."

I succeeded in enlarging some of the primer pockets with a hand drill on high speed with Hornady's Large primer pocket reamer bit. But it took a LOT of drill time (total of maybe a minute) that had to be broken into 10-second bursts because the brass got really warm through my mechanics gloves.

Question:
    Are there other WLR-equivalent primers that might be a tad smaller in diameter and still compatible with WLR primers for loading?

Edit: primer pocket reamer name for 'pocket decrimping tool'

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  2. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

They make 7.62x39 sst in brass case I thought it was lacquer steel cases?

Do they have crimped primer pockets?

3. nerr

nerr

This is brass cased (not sure Hornady makes the steel-cased anymore). They did not look crimped (no circle or other crimp marks visible); Hornady did not mention it being crimped (at least did not use the word); and the primer pocket took WAY longer to enlarge than anything I've every decrimped.

4. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

Have you tried a primer pocket reamer?

5. nerr

nerr

That's what I used. I did not use the right term in my post. I've used it before and never had to work on a primer pocket that long to get it to fit a primer, even when they were actually, visually crimped.

Collo Rosso likes this.
  6. flyover

flyover

A primer pocket swage tool might be your friend.

7. nerr

nerr

Thanks, all.

Long ago, I tried a press-mounted RCBS swaging die on 556 crimped brass. It was very inconsistent in pocket sizes it made (clean, mixed, untrimmed brass) and shook stuff off my admittedly-cluttered bench pretty badly each time I tried it. I've used the drill and primer pocket reamer successfully since then until now.

I know there are other, dedicated, separate bench-mounted swaging units.
    I might try one of them if I have this problem with more brass. Otherwise, I'll just buy new Hornady small primer brass (assuming it isn't tight like this as well).

I like the Hornady 762x39 ammo, but, for my purposes of mostly having factory ammo around for other people to shoot in my rifle, I wish they still did the steel cased ammo which, IIRC was a little cheaper. There's always Tula and Wolf and Prvi (which reloads well) to use. I really like Hornady bullets: the 123g SST is especially good in my Ranch.

I was hoping someone could suggest slightly smaller or softer large primer brands to try. Looks like I'll be experimenting a little myself :) Crummy winter weather makes this a nice indoors project.

8. Gokyo

Gokyo

I use the Dillon super swage 600

flyover likes this.
  9. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

That rcbs press mounted swager sucks I did notice that putting a drop of oil on the spud helped it lot.
    Eventually I gave that thing away and bought a dillon super swage. I think rcbs is or was making a copy of the dillon super swage.

10. nerr

nerr

I like the 762x39 round even though the selection of bullet sizes I've been able to find for it and minimal range of loads (versus say 300BLK) limits what you can do with it. But I've had more grief with cases in 762x39 than any other caliber I reload.

I've had to ream the primer hole on some old Fiocchi brass as well. Thought it was maybe because the foreign spec (not SAAMI: CIC-something?) was slightly smaller.

It also consistently got the head out of round on each shooting and reload so that it would not fit in the case gauge correctly. I had to turn the head of the case inside the case gauge to get off the burrs or whatever it was to get it to fit in the gauge. Never had anything as bad as that in any other headstamped brass.

I guess I'm just stubborn enough to want to make things work and reuse as much as I can no matter the expense in my resources. So I might just try a different swager, which will probably migrate to the bottom of my growing pile of varieties of loading tools.

Anyway, be warned about the Hornady 762x39 ammo brass. I've also read that some people have said Hornady sometimes uses small-brass cases in other 762x39 lot runs.

11. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

I've had pretty good results with the RCBS kit. A little Imperial die wax on the nub every 5 or 6 rounds helps a lot. No, it's not ideal and you don't want to do volume with it. Yeah, sometimes that nub sticks and you shake the whole bench getting it out.
    Somebody buy the new Lee APP press and let me know how it works...

Taterhead and ThomasM4 like this.
  12. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

I've done several thou 223 cases with the RCBS press mounted tool. I like it. I've learned that a quick light mist of Hornady One Shot on the case heads makes the process quick and slick. I lay a buch on a towel, sort of oriented the samy way and draw a mist accross.

I did anther 500 in no time last week that way.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Collo Rosso likes this.
  13. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

You might try Federal primers, they're pretty soft. I guess I would be concerned that the gas would leak by.

Frankly, I would just dump the brass and call it a day. It just isn't worth the hassle.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/762x39mm-russian

Collo Rosso likes this.
  14. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

For rifle, I have great success with Dillon Spray Lube. For pistol, Hornady One Shot.
    The Dillon needs to be tumbled off. The Hornady can stay.