Hoppe's Silicone Gun & Reel Cloth

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by NewGlocker28, Feb 6, 2010.

1. NewGlocker28

NewGlocker28

This is a newb question so please forgive my ignorance as I've never cleaned a gun before. I bought a Hoppe's pistol cleaning kit and it came with a Silcone Gun & Reel Cloth. Is this ok to use on the outside of the slide? On the inside of the slide? The barrell?

Anyone have a good link to a "how to clean and lubricate a Glock" video?

Thanks.

2. bentbiker

bentbiker

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc . I'd suggest reserving the silicone cloth for use if and when you ever disassemble and clean your magazines. Oil for a Glock -- covered in the owners manual.

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

The cloth is designed to wipe the gun down to prevent rust. Not really meant to lube anything.

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I really like them. All my pistols are in one before I place them in the case.
    My CCW is wiped down nightly with one.

5. bmahle

bmahle

So, you wrap them in the silicon cloth then put them away. I've been thinking about doing that for a while. I use the silicon cloth once in a while as a final touch on a Glock cleanup, and all the time on my guns with less rugged finishes.

Do you think it keeps the moisture off your pistols?

6. jmsfmtex

jmsfmtex

I wipe my gun down prior to putting them away. I wipe them off, along with the inside of my Comp-Tac holster when in use. I like the clothes.

7. docj78

docj78

I have one of those as well. Mine is the "Sportsman's G96" brand. I have a few that I got years ago from an uncle. A few of them are still in the sealed bag.

I wipe/buff off the G23 each night. Can't hurt, and it leaves a nice luster on the entire piece. Plus, I like the smell.:supergrin:

8. sigman69

sigman69

yes you can use it...just like everyone said.

9. Danzig

Danzig

I use it to wipe only my slide.its a good protectant from rusts.

10. Bullseye300

Bullseye300

I wipe some of my slides with them from time to time. I also take one hunting with me if I am going to be away from home for a few days. A quick wipe down of a wet deer or bear rifle keeps things in check till I can get home. I also second the comment about "liking the smell". Be careful NOT to get any on the grip of your pistol.
    Bullseye

11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I've treated my pistols that way for the last 25 years.
    All my rifles are in silicone impregnated GunSocks.
    I've, knock on wood, never had an issue with rust on any firearm.

12. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

I field strip it and hose it off with automotive brake cleaner. $3. Or you can use gun scrubber (they tell me its the same thing though.) This seems to flush it out pretty well also it dries very fast. Right after i hose it off for several seconds, i attack the works with a toothbrush, q-tip and rags, in that order. If any q-tip shows dirt, i just hose it again and wipe clean. The barrel gets the glock brush, hoppe's, and gun patches or paper towels (they say your rag should be so tight it squeaks through the barrel).

Always push the cleaning rod chamber to muzzle, (same direction of bullet travel), do not start the rod at the muzzle whenever possible (suppose you didnt have time to strip it etc.) This protects the muzzle crown, important for accuracy.

The grease vs oil debate is never ending, just use something that will stick to the gun while you shoot! I use grease. $4 for a can or tube of moly automotive grease is basically the same stuff, if not superior to, the fancy stuff from a tube from the gun store - one guy in a video points out "there is no special factory where gun grease is made, it is the same stuff."

do not lube plastic-on-plastic or metal-to-plastic moving parts in this gun, the plastic is self-lubricating. Do not lube the firing pin channel or the firing pin itself, clean and dry only. Do NOt get oil in the hole in the receiver, next to the trigger safety (little round metal plunger).

Other then that, less lube is better then too much, i disagree wtih people who say no lube unless you are a soldier in the sandbox and have no dry lube.

13. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Millennium Member

14. Mr Wasabi

Mr Wasabi

+1 Same here. I keep one for basically all of my guns. They're cheap (other brands too) so everytime I order stuff online, I always throw a few of those in with my order. If you have a bunch of guns, you can't have too many.