Hoppe's elite

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by minkis18, Feb 2, 2010.

1. minkis18

minkis18

After my last range trip, with some nice filthy Federal Premium from WallyWorld, I decided to clean my barrel using only Hoppe's Elite. I ran probably 5 rounds of patches with a copper brush between each run.

I got it to where the patches came out clean, then ran one more with Hoppe's #9...and look at that! the patch comes out dirty before even using a brush! What's the deal? I though the new Elite was supposed to work better (and faster).

have you guys/gals experienced any success with this stuff? I'm probably gonna buy another bottle of my S&W cleaner, it seems to work even faster than Hoppe's #9

2. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

#9 is all I use on glocks. CLP on 1911's and M4's, along with a few other chemicals.

3. CBennett

CBennett

I use some spray Winchester CLP for the cleaning and use the Hoppes elite on the slide and parts that need oiled and all that stuff.

4. diamondmike

diamondmike

The stuff never impressed me any.

In fact I have heard it said that its nothing more than the #9 watered down to kill the smell that some people cant stand.
    Personally I like the smell of the #9.

The #9 cleaned my guns starting with my very first gun and will probably clean my last gun.
    When something works why change???

5. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Over the years, I've tried a number of the latest fad chemicals. With a final cleaning with #9, it never fails to get what the others leave behind.

[​IMG]

6. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses

People worry WAY to much about cleaning, especially getting their barrels spotless. I think most people overclean. I clean after every range session, but I don't concern myself with the patches coming out totally clean. If you scrub so much you'll do more harm than good.

7. staplebox

staplebox Trudging along

I put a dab of #9 behind each ear every morning. Also use it for cleaning all guns.

8. boyscoutG36

boyscoutG36 Armorer

Hoppes Elite is rebranded MilPro7, (if you don't believe me look who makes it on the bottle) it's a great carbon and grease remover but not so good for copper fouling. I like both...

9. minkis18

minkis18

I am a morbidly obsessive cleaner. Sometimes, I even clean my guns again BEFORE my range trip!

Thanks for the input guys, there was one thread on here I saw a few months past that the OP was just IN LOVE with the elite line. I figured if it really worked faster, then maybe I'll try it. I'm glad I only bought a small bottle now because my cheap *** S&W "lubricant and protectant" actually does a better job, and isn't over priced!

(just saw my S&W CLP is made by...Liquid Wrench. Hardware store products marketed at gun owners for twice the price.)

10. CBennett

CBennett

Ive tried the bore foam B4 also and that stuff works well I think it was gunslick?? name brand. maybe not I cant remember it was at the range and a guy handed it to me and said here try this..foamed right up stayed in place let it sit while we shot other guns cleaned up the barrel great. Was cleaned b4 I even got home...I just take my stuff to the range and clean there now I just add the cleanup time to my range time(more time away from nagging wife)and it works great :) . I dont remember except for a wipe down from sitting in the safe the last time I cleaned anything at home..