Hoppe's 9 gun bore clean contains oil?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by KindOfBlue, Jul 13, 2020.

1. KindOfBlue

KindOfBlue

I've noticed after using Hoppe's No 9 gun bore cleaner on my Glock that it feels oily.

Anyone know if it indeed contains oil? If it does, why isn't it enough to use on the bore instead of oiling after use?

Thanks

2. Bradley T

Bradley T

That Hoppes has changed consistencies over the years. It used to have this: IMG_20200713_003908224.jpg
    Now it's:
    IMG_20200713_004335011.jpg
    The old solvent had "NITRO" on it too:
    IMG_20200713_004853057.jpg
    I'd just do whatever it says on the bottle.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    ruffhunter likes this.

3. NewYorker

NewYorker

I used hoppes only for a number of years to clean my guns. Ive tried other stuff less sensitive to the ol sniffer. But its what I keep in large quantities.

Pops 1 likes this.
  4. jhc37013

jhc37013

Hoppes Elite cleaner is better it cleans and then dries within seconds and leaves the surface ready for lube however you choose to apply it. There is a few good cleaners that do the same thing like Slip 725 and MPro 7 gun cleaner, it's just better for me to have a nice clean and dry surface before I apply oil and also all the above mentioned have little to no smell and non toxic.

Have you ever tried Slip2000 725 cleaner and then Slip EWL lube? If you shoot and then clean using those items 3 or 4 times your gun will easily clean and look new after each proceeding cleaning.

It's not just Slip2000 like I said Mro7 and Hoppes Elite in combination with there oil can pretty much do the same thing I just believe Slip 725 is a little better cleaner and I know their EWL lube is fantastic.

5. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

Hoppe's Semi-Auto Gun Bore Cleaner Data Safety Sheet:

https://www.hoppes.com/on/demandwar.../sds/aab064ac-fd61-40da-90b7-8ee268db00bd.pdf

SECTION 3 ‐ COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

1 Light Aromatic Solvent Naphtha
    2 d‐Limonene
    3 Amyl Acetate
    4 Ethanol
    5 Oleic Acid
    6 Ammonium Hydroxide

Informational reference for Hoppe's: here is the link for their Data Safety Sheets (including ingredients) for their products:

https://www.hoppes.com/hoppes-support/ho-sds.html

:)

EDIT: not sure of the exact product you used (more products listed than I thought they had available). Might have been this one?

https://www.hoppes.com/on/demandwar.../sds/04e3a446-2860-4fdd-9e91-49ea662e5830.pdf

If so, check under section 3 for ingredients.

Sorry if it's more information than you wanted to know. ;)

DJ Niner and Mike-M like this.
  6. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

Yep, oil creeps under the crud so it will come off.

Problem with a lot if "safe" cleaners is it is water based. If you dont get it out of every nook and cranny plus re-oil you can get rust.
    Only new cleaner Ive found that isnt water based and stinky is Lucas cleaner/sonic cleaner.

7. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

I use Hoppes #9 followed by CLP

-JCN- and KindOfBlue like this.
  8. Gokyo

Gokyo

Cleaning Glocks does not require solvents.

When I clean my Glock I completely disassemble it then soak it in a very warm solution of simple green and water.

The I use a hair dryer to dry to out completely.

I then use MilItec-1 to lube and then reassemble.

Exposure to solvents is a life time accumulation issue. It can damage your liver, kidneys, central nervous system and your brain.

I try to avoid solvents when ever possible.

However this raises the question as to which is more toxic... Simple Green or Hoppe’s?

I guess my assumption is Simple Green but I may just be falling victim to a marketing campaign.

FireMedic-50 likes this.
  9. KindOfBlue

KindOfBlue

This is what I've started to do as well. My friends have recommended it.

Not sure how I feel about the strong smell of Hoppe's though. I love that CLP is scentless.

10. Nagoya10

Nagoya10

Hoppes #9 smell is one of the most awesomeness smells in the world. It's both calming and exciting at the same time. In addition, Hoppes #9 is probably the best all around gun cleaning solvents on the face of this earth. I have tried other stuff and #9 is still the best. Yes, it does have an oily residue leftover which is intentional as that is a preservative and even a bit of a lubricant for those parts that don't require much lube, like extractors, firing pins, firing pin safety, and bores. Just wipe, swab, brush or q-tip apply and wipe dry with a paper towel, thin rag, swabs and q-tip and you will be all set after applying the proper lube in the required spots, which on a Glock is Mobil 1 (lightest weights the best) and a bit of grease in the rail grooves, firing pin/sear contact, connector tip and the part of the trigger bar that contacts the firing pin safety. You will then have a properly cleaned, lubed and ready to go to battle Glock.

FullClip likes this.
  11. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Beware! Hoppe's #9 isn't one product. It is DOZENS of products with similar names!

ActananonVerba70 nailed it. To know what is in it, get the MSDS information!

To do that, go to Hoppe's web site here: https://www.hoppes.com/hoppes-support/ho-sds.html

Then get the MSDS for the exact item you are curious about. Two screen shots are below.

Showing how many products have the "Hoppe's #9 name" and why there is often confusion about what is in "it" (because it is multiple products, not just one!):
    upload_2020-7-13_15-17-3.png

Specifically for "Hoppes No.9 Gun Bore Cleaner" it has the following items (there is another page, but clearly kerosene, ethanol, and isopropyl alcohol (propan-2-ol) are the primary ingredients. But other MSDS sheets for other Hoppe's products are VERY different. Check the one you want to know about by exact name to be sure what is in it. See the screen capture for page one of the MSDS here:
    upload_2020-7-13_15-19-20.png

Slackinoff likes this.
  12. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

it's the kerosene that leaves the residue.

rotorhead1026 and 835mag like this.
  13. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Based upon the above ingredients, I am guessing that feel is the kerosene.

rotorhead1026 likes this.
  14. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

Interesting!

I just googled all those chemicals and found some interesting stuff. It's definitely the 2-Methylbutyle acetate and Amyl Acetate that give it that smell.

Amyl Acetate is also called "banana oil" and used for flavoring food products/ aromatics, and same for 2-Bethylbutyle, although it's more of a apple peel aroma/flavor. But both are listed as "fruity".

boilergonzo and Tuner Sandwich like this.
  15. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

As we do not have a "Care and Cleaning" forum, this will be fine here, as long as the discussion is limited to the use of this product on Glocks.

Thanks, folks.

16. Mrfixit2016

Mrfixit2016

I use M-Pro 7 to clean and Slip 2000 to oil. I think each job should have its own product

17. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I've always used Hoppe's #9. There may be better juices on the market, but none reminds me of my father more than the stuff in the brown bottle. It has worked for decades....and it's OK by me.

1eyedjack01, yep380, 1187mg and 4 others like this.
  18. Jim

Jim

One of the officers in my department used Hoppes #9 to thoroughly clean his J-frame Airweight (blued) about 20-25 years ago. He used only the #9 to lube and "protect" the gun, then put it away for a few days. When he took it out, the blued cylinder was beginning to rust.
    I had a similar experience cleaning the interior & exterior of the barrel on a new Hi Power: slobbered it up with #9 and came back 4 days later to find that the liquid remaining on the steel was brown with dissolved rust that had happened during the wait.
    My various tests don't show #9 as working any better to remove powder fouling than Break Free CLP. I have no use for it.

OttoLoader and boilergonzo like this.
  19. Pops 1

Pops 1

Some people use mineral spirits to clean

20. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

The biggest problem I see with ANY long-term use of a cleaning solvent is that it will evaporate and leave unprotected areas (as discussed be several members, above).

For lubrication and rust prevention, you want something that WON'T evaporate, or not much.
    Or if it does evaporate, it leaves behind a thin coating of something else to prevent problems.

And for those of you that own nickel-plated firearms, don't soak the parts in Hoppe's #9, as it can affect the plating or the copper base coat below the nickel. Back in the revolver days, more than a few nickel-plated revolver owners decided to soak their cylinders overnight in solvent to loosen-up chamber-throat fouling, and really bad things happened to the plating on some of those sixguns.

boilergonzo likes this.