close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hoping to be a first time gun/G19 Owner - Gen 3 vs Gen 4?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ItsJono, Jan 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ItsJono

ItsJono

Hello everyone,

As you can see, i'm a new member. So i've finally been approved to post on the forum and i've got quite a bit of questions pertaining to my future purchase of a Glock 19.

There seems to be a lot of threads talking about Gen 4 so I can only assume that Glock is moving onto their fourth generation of Glocks? What is the differences between the two generations, and when will this fourth gen be available to the public for purchase?

Thanks!

2. table

table

the only Gen4 Glocks out right now are the 22 and the 17. the 22, 23, 17 and 19 your thinking of features the RTF grip. the Gen4 consists of a new texture grip that isn't as rough as the RTF and interchangeable backstraps.

3. ItsJono

ItsJono

Will there be a 4th Gen G19? If not, that's fine. I'm perfectly happy with the G19 as is -- but i'm a bit of a sucker for having the latest of everything I buy just to know I have the best safety features at the time available.

4. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Why do you want to own a handgun Jono?

'Drew

5. ItsJono

ItsJono

Firearms have always interested me due to the constant exposure from various forms of media. Though if you're particularly asking for the use I will applying to the handgun, it will mostly be for plinking at my local range so that I can go from a novice to a marksman. I am under the assumption that 9mm is one of the more common and cheaper calibers to deal with, especially as a novice.

I guess home defense second, otherwise I would've gotten a .45

Thirdly the G19 interests me as a potential concealed carry, however I feel that at my age and experience with firearms -- it wouldn't be advisable to be one yet. Maybe after a couple of years of familiarization, classes and some reading for use of lethal force will I consider it.

6. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Hi Jono,

In short, owning a gun and going to the range will not get you from novice to marksman. Getting a good start on the fundamentals, then additional training will. I fully understand the allure of Glocks, and guns. I own in excess of 50 handgun - most of them Glocks, so don't take anything I say as criticism...more like steering you in the most efficient path towards your goal.

To answer your initial question, Gen 3 vs Gen4 does not matter. If you want a gun today, the G19v4 is not available. If you want a gun in 4 months, the G19v4 if available, would be a better choice, simply because that gun gives you more options, and builds on existing knowledge / technology.

A .45 is as poor a "home defense" caliber as the 9mm :). Don't be swayed by the hype. All generic handgun calibers (excluding magnum rounds etc) are generally poor "man stoppers" and use of handguns has a steeper learning curve than use of long guns.

Familiarization with guns will take you months, maybe even possibly weeks if you are focused on the task at hand.

Will your county issue you a concealed carry license?

'Drew
    :cool:

7. ItsJono

ItsJono

I've not yet checked with the county so I am not sure if they will issue one because that's really as far as I've thought concerning me actually becoming concealed carry.