Hooking a new (old) computer to the home network

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wayne02, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Wayne02

Wayne02

I've obtained this old (2002) desktop computer that I'm trying to hook to our home network.

Network stats:
    Dsl w/ router and four puters hooked up. Two running winxp pro and two running win98. Now replacing #4 with this new machine as old #4 bit the dust. Verified that the cat5/RJ11 is hot at this location by hooking it to my win98 laptop with a usb/ethernet adapter - worked fine.

New #4 machine is running win98 also. New machine guts look like this:
    [​IMG]

This machine has an RJ11 port on the back that looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Notice the green and amber lights are on on this port when the cable is plugged in - what does that mean? That the line is hot?

This is what that port looks like on the inside. It is the silver box just above the pink one. Looks like this is something either built into or plugged into the the MB. There is no ethernet card in this machine as you can see.:
    [​IMG]

Wife bought this machine at an auction from her work. Their IT people say all the machines were network ready (on the hardware side). Came with no os, so I installed win98. Tried to get win98 to search the install disk for some sort of network port drivers with no joy (not surprised considering the age diff between the os and machine)... can't log onto the internet to search for drivers from this new machine.... because the network connection won't work - catch 22.

What to do?

Wayne

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I had a few old PC's given to me.Most all network drivers must be installed from a seperate floppy or CD not the OS disk.There are some programs you could download that would tell you your hardware,then you could search the internet for the proper drivers.I used a live Linux CD and watched what drivers were used but not all Linux tell the whole story.I looked up the PC's and motherboards on the internet to find the hardware.I think the programs would be the easiest for you.
    The programs mentioned in this thread can be downloaded to another PC and put on CD.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=450076

http://majorgeeks.com/SiSoftware_Sandra_Lite_d4664.html

3. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

How fast is that machine? Install Win XP on it and it should recognize the onboard network card with no problem.

If you care to dable in Linux make it a linux machine and Linux should have no problem recognizing the network card.

Win 98? Blah!!!

Also make sure your router is allowing 4 computers on the network. Allthough you had another machine (#4) on your network before, but did you always have all 4 powered up at the same time?

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Thats what I was thinking, Why Win98?

IGF

5. Wayne02

Wayne02

6. Wayne02

Wayne02

I think it is a pentium 100 or something...? The tag the IT guys put on the box said cpu 1000 [shrug]

Yep all 4 have been powered up at the same time. Old #4 worked fine before dieing. Although it did not have a RJ11 jack and I had to use a usb/ethernet adapter. Also, this location works fine when I plug it into my old win98 laptop, just can't get the "new" #4 desktop machine to work.

I'm using win98 just becuase I was trying to avoid buying more copies of xp. I realize 98 is a dog, but we run four desktops and occasionally two laptops on this home network, and I was just trying to minimize OS cost is all.

I was under the impression that xp would call the mother ship and tell on me if I tried to install the same copy on multiple machines... or least make life miserable in the future when one or more of the machines needed new pieces of hardware installed.

Wayne

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

You can download the programs without installing them.Just choose "Save" when you download them.Then transfer those saved programs to a CD>Then you can run the CD in the other PC and install the program of your choice,or whichever one tells you which network adapter you have.Then you can search the internet for a driver for that network adapter.