close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Honest opinons needed...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by cmontrose1, Mar 1, 2010.

1. cmontrose1

cmontrose1 GuN-a-HoLiC

Any of you guys own or owned a Bond Defender in .410/.45? I ask because I am pretty close to getting one. I have watched youtube videos and read online reviews but what say you, the real guys who cc everyday?

2. Unistat

Unistat

Also interested, in fact I was just at their website looking some more. I want a little short barrel version to put in the sunglasses compartment in my car.

3. cmontrose1

cmontrose1 GuN-a-HoLiC

Its interesting to me. I am moving this month from Albuquerque, a populated area to the east mountain a not so populated area. More threat than man is rattlers. This gun looks very easy to carry especially with the crossdraw holster it comes with, I could easily see me carrying this instead of my P7 when up there.

4. farley45

farley45

I think they are cool, and would buy one for that reason.

I would not carry one though when there are so much better options out there.

Just my .02

5. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

I like 'em, but it would just be another lay around gun for me. I would never carry it at my primary weapon.

Not when my S&W 442 .38+p carries more and is just as easy to pocket carry...

6. farley45

farley45

If you have time to draw, aim, and fire on a rattler then you have time to get the heck out of the way. No need to kill it.

Get some of those fancy pants and tough boots while you're at it.

7. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

There are lighter weight, less expensive and higher capacity guns that are easier to shoot.

8. hatidua

hatidua

Well put. I've never understood the fascination with killing snakes, it's not like they are going to chase you while you run down the mountainside.

9. cmontrose1

cmontrose1 GuN-a-HoLiC

Why not? Just wondering if 2 .410/45 would not get the job done? I otherwise carry 7+1 .45 or 8+1 9mm.

10. cmontrose1

cmontrose1 GuN-a-HoLiC

The reason that they are a threat is because they do try and sometimes do get into the house. Also they are a threat to the dogs in their run. I wouldn't ever condone the thoughtless killing of anything, but I would be devistated if anything happened to the dogs.
    My dad and mom live next door. We have about 30 acres. They don't go out patroling for snakes, but when the dogs start going nuts, because they cornered a rattler, you have to put it down...

11. farley45

farley45

It thought it was obvious, and I'm not trying to be rude at all.

I think .410 out of a 3" bbl is useless to begin with for SD.

But, there are far superior weapons out there for SD in terms of size, caliber, # of rounds, and the list can go on and on.

I'd carry a 7+1 .45ACP or an 8+1 9mm over that thing any day...I don't know of anyone who would do otherwise.

Even if you are thinking of it in terms of a backup gun, I still feel there are far superior options out there for that purpose as well.

12. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

.410 is pretty useless outta that barrel.

13. farley45

farley45

Even in your circumstances there would be far superior means of dispatching the critters than a .410/.45 defender...

It is a niche firearm, and cool no doubt, but utterly useless none the less. Except of course if it was the only firearm you owned.

14. cmontrose1

cmontrose1 GuN-a-HoLiC

Thanks, I do not think you are rude. I am looking for opinions and I thank you for yours. I have no experience with the bond am looking for some real world info. The main reason is to dispatch the ocassional snake that the dogs have cornered. I agree for self defense .45 is the way to go. It took me a P7 to finally carry a 9mm. But the videos on the bond and reviews look promissing. It is the 4 inch model. I don't know if that matters much as my main concern was the 2 load capacity. I think that .410 buck or .45 lc would get the job done. But 2 rounds.... But it is small....

15. cmontrose1

cmontrose1 GuN-a-HoLiC

In New Mexico, you need to be very carefull when picking your main carry gun, because for some strange reason, when I renewed 3 or so years ago, they changed to only 1 gun to be carried. So no backup what-so-ever. I really want to change this law as I can not see how you are lawfull and safe with one but a dangerous loose cannon with 2...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  16. farley45

farley45

If you want to dispatch snakes just use a .22. You can use a regular shotgun or use birdshot out of the 22 or another handgun.

17. cmontrose1

cmontrose1 GuN-a-HoLiC

Used a 9mm once and this is the reason why I'm thinking the .410. Imagine 3 big dogs barking and going balistic cornering a rattler who is coiled defending itself. I guess I'm worried about ricocett, worried about the dogs.... It just sounded to be convienent. To always be on your side, instead of going to the safe, getting a rifle... You know... But I get it...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  18. annielulu

annielulu StraightShooter

As derringers go, Bond Arms are well made. I have the Texas Defender-.45 Colt/.410 shot shell model. They are a lot of fun to shoot and most folks at the range are usually interested in seeing how they perform.

I used to carry mine in my front pocket as a 2nd gun just for the heck of it when I first got it. For S/D, a 200 gr Corbon JHP would work well under 10-15 feet. Mine was pretty accurate up to about 25-30 feet or so. Could usually put one center mass pretty quick at that range. Sometimes I got a "keyhole" out of a round because of the short barrel, I believe-but most of the time it shot pretty well.

I would not carry it as my primary weapon because of having only 2 shots, but as a back up gun, it has a pretty nice "cool" factor. I also used to keep it in my car console with a .45 Colt and a .410 shell sometimes.

All in all, a pretty good back up gun at close range and a lot of fun to play with.

19. ronin.45

ronin.45

I agree

20. Sgt127

Sgt127

I had an American Derringer in .45 LC/410. Pretty close to the same idea. They are neat. They are "kinda" fun to play with. I used the 410 three ball 000 rounds, LIGHT .45 LC and birdshot. Its pretty heavy for what it is. Its pretty slow to get into action, but, its still neat. Not neat enough for me to still have it though. I have a couple of the Hi Standard .22 MAG Derringers though, I would drop one of those in my pocket full of rat shot if I thought snakes were a major problem. Or, best choice, I think, a Smith 642 full of rat shot and a speedloader full of 158 GR lead HP.

But, if you want one, get it, they are different and, they should work fine.