Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Honda Shadow VLX

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by TScottW99, May 18, 2005.

1. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Roanoke, VA
    Hello everyone. First time posting in this club. Getting ready to buy my first motorcycle and wanted some opions if I could.

I have looked around a good bit at the differn't brands in the 250 - 600 CC size bikes. I really like the Honda Shadow and have heard some good reviews from people I know. I just wanted some opions from my fellow Glock Talkers, please ;f

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Tejas, US
    It's pretty hard to go wrong with a Honda anything. They are built to last even among the Japanese bikes scene. They are also more expensive than their Japanese competitors as well, but the difference isn't all that great.

3. NDGlock

NDGlock OIF2, KFOR12

North Dakota
    My first bike was a 1982 Honda CB 650 and after about 4 months, I wanted something bigger. I got it used in 1994 for $500 and sold it in 1995 for $450. I learned on the bike and then upgraded (after a 10 year gap) to a holdover 2004 VTX 1800C w/zero miles.

My advice is to get a good used one for starters. I would not buy a new one for my first bike, especially one in the smaller class.

Look around for the Nighthawk 750. They are bulletproof and nearly maintenance free.

I managed to tip my first bike 3 x during during its brief tenure. Damage was minimal (broken taillight). First time was on gravel trying to turn slowly (front wheel gave out on soft shoulder...I lived on a farm then). Second time was driving in the mud (I is a street bike). I was working in a field and parked the bike near the edge. It started raining and by the time I got the tractor shut-off, it was quite muddy. I managed to slither out of there but dumped it once at about 5mph. The third time was at about 20mph. A friend signaled me to stop by his house in town and it was a hasty turn. I applied too much front brake and the wheel caught on loose gravel on concrete. This is where I broke the taillight.

Anyway, these were all great learning experiences and when I hopped on the VTX 1800 after 10 years, it was as if I never left. I am now uber-conscious of all around me (probably helped that I recently got back from Iraq and have a heightened situational awareness when it comes from traffic). The 1800 handles like a dream but I am very respectful of its power and capabilities as a result of the experience on a 650.

I would strongly advise a good used one in the 650 to 850 range for a beginner bike. If (or more likely when) you spill it, you will not feel too bad:)
  4. Wetrudgeon

Beyond the beyond
    We think that if it is a small cruiser you seek, you will be very hard pressed to do better than the VLX. The Honda folks have been building the bike for nearly 20 years, and have it down by now.

We agree with NDGlock that you would be wise to look for a used VLX to begin on. They can be had at reasonable prices.

One can spend hours on Try it...

We trudge on.
  5. jpa

jpa CLM

Las Vegas NV
    I have a Shadow.

It's bigger than a VLX.

I like it.

You will too.

Any problems or monkeying you want to do after you get used to the bike, go to Lotsa friendly and very helpful people there.
  6. spober

wendel n.c.
    a 750 is really ideal.i had a 79 cbk 750 4 cylinder with 4 into one headder she was, manuverable.being 5 11 180 lbs i felt slightly cramped in the thighs after more than 45 minutes ridding.that would be my complaint with a sportster i think also.