Honda is no Harley

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by glowrod, Sep 18, 2020.

1. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

I ended the weekend with just under 500 miles that I put on the Valkyrie. It's a keeper. Has plenty of power, cruises along with ease, handling is fantastic, and all around it seems to be a great ride. It is for sure a big step up from my previous bike.
    Hope to enjoy many more miles before the snow season.
    Some nice bikes from the pictures that some of you shared, keep them coming.

2. Intolerant

Intolerant

Its an old joke that came about way back from my club days. We always referred to any bikes coming across the ocean were deemed saltwater scooters. Foreign manufacturing is kinda splittin hairs at this point, because Harley`s have always been the majority, made in USA. Saltwater money/profits always goes back across the ocean.

paynter2 likes this.

3. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

My first bike was a 650 Yamaha twin. I took it home in the crate from a dealer in St. Paul MN. Put it together, pushed it up the hill behind the house and rolled it down - popped the clutch and I was riding a motorcycle for the first time!

The jugs of that bike and a couple of the covers had pitting on them. I think that's why the dealer gave me such a good deal. I've always laughed that it came over on the deck of a ship!

Fun bike. Plenty of power for a beginner. I had a blast with it. I then bought a used Harley Super Glide. Then went to Kawi's and never left the Jap bikes again.

4. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

You can always drop a pic in the where did you ride thread.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/so-where-did-you-ride-your-motorcycle-to-today.1842030/

5. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

6. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

For the last few years, hallmark has been releasing honda motorcycle Christmas ornaments. I hope they have another one for this year. Last two years were a 69 cb750 and a 92 nr750.
    IMG_20200921_223512722.jpg

7. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

With all due respect, you really need to get out more. HH

8. Intolerant

Intolerant

LOL... ;)

9. 83wide

83wide

That's a nice machine, hope you enjoy it!
    I am, and always will be a Harley guy. It's somewhat shocking how misinformed people are about Harley riders...

glowrod and Intolerant like this.
  10. Intolerant

Intolerant

I agree, not all harley riders are a-holes. Just some are posers with attitudes, some aren`t.

11. berto62

berto62

My friend Wendell spent almost 50 years as a dealership mechanic. Went to his first Harley service School in 1961. He loved to rag on the Harleys, called them the working man's friend. Said "if you can fix a Harley Davidson you will always have a job". One of his other favorite sayings was.
    " Open a Honda roadside emergency kit and the only thing in there is a rag to clean it with, open the Harley kit and there's a whole new motorcycle in there"

ZekerMan, Lazy R, railfancwb and 2 others like this.
  12. tom mac

tom mac

Funny...
    Use to be in the old days Honda's even had good tool kits. In the last 20 yrs... nothing.
    My 2004 St1300 came with almost nothing... and there was a towel.

ZekerMan and railfancwb like this.
  13. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Well, there isn’t a whole lot that a rider can fix roadside on those. And if he can, he’ll be carrying better tools than the stamped not-much-better-than-pot-metal kits that used to come with bikes.

railfancwb likes this.
  14. berto62

berto62

You really don't need them anymore. I have a 07 VStar 1300 that I bought from a friend who was the original owner. 80000 miles and the only thing that broke on it is the counter shaft pulley came loose. The Harley's I've owned have been just as reliable.

83wide and railfancwb like this.
  15. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

I need and use my Honda's toolkit. It has enough for basic maintenance. Since it's chain drive and single sided swingarm there is a spanner for chain adjustment. No towel tho.

16. NH Trucker

NH Trucker

20200908_152519.jpg Nice Valkyrie! My first bike was a Honda Shadow 600. My current bike is a 2007 VTX 1300R. Hondas are great rides for a decent price. Enjoy!

Maccabeus, railfancwb and glowrod like this.
  17. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

I hope by off road, you mean off paved roads (i.e. gravel roads). That is not a bike to take on a single track.

[​IMG]

Sharkey and Upgrayedd like this.
  18. Haldor

Aprilia makes some nice rides. I have a set of Aprilia rear view mirrors on my KLX250. Hah.

IMG_20200923_202119[1].jpg

19. Haldor

Ride off-road and you will change your tune.

I do all of my routine maintenance, including changing tires/tubes with the tools I carry on my bike. They are not what came with the bike, but they are what I carry.

20. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Well, I'm not taking it on the bdr, but I do alot of camping off my bike, so I sometimes take it to places that a vfr really doesn't belong. I actually enjoy taking gravel and dirt roads on it, but only to a point. It really wears me out quick, so I can't do it all day. But the vfr does fine. And I'll ride it right up to my campsite, so plenty of grassy fields, and sometimes dirt paths into the woods.

Haldor likes this.