Honda is no Harley

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by glowrod, Sep 18, 2020.

1. SWFlGuy

SWFlGuy Lifetime NRA member

Absolutely! Not trying to argue. And I know the older stuff left some things to be desired.
    I am a rider also. As I stated way back in this thread.
    It’s not what you ride, just that you ride.

Rinspeed likes this.
  2. Desert Kraut

Desert Kraut

Well said Intolerant. I got the bug for two wheelers when I was 14 years old when a neighbor had a Tohatsu 50cc for sale. Ever since then I have ridden all kinds of bikes, large and small. The list includes Hondas, Yamahas, BMW, Greeves, and now a little Suzuki GZ250. They all had their pros and cons, but the point is it kept the wind on my face and the joy in my heart. At 70 years young I hope to keep riding at least another 10 years or so. We'll see.

railfancwb and Rinspeed like this.

3. railfancwb

railfancwb

We need pictures. Lots of pictures!

4. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

Scammed out of work early today as it was super nice, especially being this late in the season it was a great day to put some more miles on. Highway pegs added additional comfort and gave the ability to stretch out. Put 1k on it since I bought the bike and it seems to be an attention grabber. It's a keeper. Next up will be to do some research and add a power source for my iPhone. Previous owner had some speakers mounted but those already came off as I plan on using a SENA. If anyone has feedback on a good power source, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sharkey, Upgrayedd and Rinspeed like this.
  5. Nanuk

Nanuk

All the Harley accessories I have seen were made in Taiwan. Up until they went to fuel injection they used Mikuni (japanese)carbs.

mike from st pe likes this.
  6. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

I used an aux power wire to power my phone, plus a second wire that I keep under the seat to charge flashlights and extra batteries and my helmet. I've had a Sena for three years. It's a real game changer. I can listen to music, get gps nav instructions, talk to my pillion rider if I have one, or talk to people I'm riding with. All great. But I hate taking phone calls while riding, so I try to avoid the phone.

glowrod likes this.
  7. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

People say AMF saved Harley. I don’t know if that’s true or not. Did the government save GM and Chrysler in 2009? Bankruptcy doesn’t necessarily mean the end of the line.

8. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

I ad
    I advised my brother to run a Mikuni carb on his Pan Head if he wanted to ride it.

Nanuk and Intolerant like this.
  9. Sharkey

Sharkey

Haha, there will be. I do a photo book every year of all the things we do through out the year. They had a 2 page spread last year. I take my PnS but some guys show up with a DSLR. It's hilarious.

Intolerant likes this.
  10. Intolerant

Intolerant

I believe they used Keihin CV-40 carbs on the harley`s vtwin`s just before they went fulltime EFI. And harley also used 2 different EFI`s on their bikes too. Not sure what brand they use today.

11. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

Before my knee gave out I had a Harley for a lot of years, last three were Road Kings. Anyhow, a neighbor was moving and offered me a Honda Ruckus at a price I couldn’t pass up. I gotta tell you that little 50 cc was a hoot. Water cooled, electric or kick start, auto transmission. I kept it for a few months and referred to it as my “pit bike”.

Haldor, Intolerant and paynter2 like this.
  12. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

"Liquid cooled, kick start, fast shifting... I kept it for a few months and referred to it as my “pet ride”. Sounds like a woman I once dated! LOL

Intolerant and mmcbeat like this.
  13. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I had an AMF/Harley Super Glide. It was trouble free as long as I owned it. FX (kicker) model. I did learn that if the bike was hot and the day was warm to not even touch the throttle when starting. It would then fire right up. No oil leaks either.

Old Pan Head. Right side shifter - 4spd. Mine was black and I removed all the decals.

glide.jpg

Intolerant likes this.
  14. mc1911

mc1911

Buy what you like , like what you buy. Nice bike!

Intolerant and glowrod like this.
  15. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

Well, you paraphrased just a bit but it’s all good.

Intolerant and paynter2 like this.
  16. awildmanwith1

awildmanwith1

This rune been sitting mothballed for a couple years bringing it back to life I'd call this the Pinnacle of Hondas engineering definitely not a Harley IMG_20200924_141059682_HDR.jpg

ZekerMan, Nanuk, Desert Kraut and 2 others like this.
  17. ironhead7544

ironhead7544

Recently picked up a Harley Davidson Sportster. Bought my first one in 1967, a 1961 XLH. Harley has been making the same bike, with some improvements, since 1957. Not many bikes like that.

Back in the 60ties and 70ties, the Japanese makers said the V-Twin was obsolete in the 1920ties. Now they all make them. I wonder why?

Beautiful bike, OP. Enjoy!

18. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

LOL! Ride a bike that weighs as much as a compact car LOL!
    :laughing:

19. Vito

Vito

There was a time when the jokes about Harley were true, such as if you wanted to know if Harleys had been parked somewhere, just look for the puddles of oil. But today the bikes are far better, though I doubt that their reliability is the equal of Honda or the other major Japanese brands.

A few years ago I was riding a Triumph Thunderbird and my wife was complaining about the discomfort for her as the passenger on that bike, so I started to look at more comfortable touring style bikes. After riding a Victory (hated it), a BMW K1600 (meh!), I rode a new HD Ultra Low and was very impressed. My wife felt very comfortable sitting on the passenger seat and I almost bought that bike. Then I decided I should demo ride one more bike, a Goldwing. In literally 30 seconds on that Goldwing, any thoughts about the HD went out of my head. That was four years ago and my Goldwing now has 30K miles on it, my wife says it is by far the most comfortable bike for her that I have ever owned, and the performance of this bike continues to amaze me. The ONLY reason that I will get anything other than a Goldwing in the future is that at age 77 I know that the day is coming where it will be just too much for me to handle a 900+ pound motorcycle. When that day comes I will trade in the Goldwing and get a much lighter, smaller bike and most likely it will be another Honda. No trikes for me, I want to stay with two wheels as long as I am still on the green side of the grass.

Haldor, Rinspeed and glowrod like this.
  20. tom mac

tom mac

Not mine tho it does weight in at about 800 lbs ... but does get 42 mpg !