Honda is no Harley

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by glowrod, Sep 18, 2020.

1. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

19ECEEC6-A07A-4D77-A21C-CF9B674B603D.jpeg I've ridden bikes for years and always wanted a Harley. There's just something about how the Harleys ride and the feel. Really started looking for a new to me Harley as of late.
    Then I came across a Honda Valkyrie and said screw the Harley. Picked this up this morning with no regrets. A lot of power, rides awesome, and best of all I can save money on the need to spend Harley money.

2. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Better engine.. has better resale value. More reliable.

Harley is dropping in sales at a rapid rate..

Doc Holliday, R_P_K_, Nanuk and 14 others like this.

3. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

That's a fine looking cycle. Enjoy and ride safe.

4. Frank_Castle

Frank_Castle

I had an original valkyrie, I loved that bike. I spent a lot of money fixing it up and some lady thought it would be cool to turn in front of me. Bike was totaled. I still miss it.

I hope you enjoy that bike, looks great.

Nanuk, 45caldan, pizza_pablo and 3 others like this.
  5. skyfall

skyfall

Honda is a more reliable and better bike.

6. shadowgunner9

shadowgunner9 This used to be AMERICA........

.............but did that Honda come with the requisite pirate uniform, as does a Harley...?

Wishoot, Nanuk, nmk and 11 others like this.
  7. Ollies930

Ollies930

Honda will outlast a Harley by a margin of three to one or better, get better mileage, be more comfortable and ergonomical to ride (long distance especially) and you do not have to put up with all the Harley nonsense like arrogant dealers,Harley clothing and chrome.

Doc Holliday, R_P_K_, Nanuk and 6 others like this.
  8. RenoF250

RenoF250

Nice, Honda is much better than Harley IMHO. Harley does nothing for me. Too many DB Harley riders and the bike is overprice. It was cool at one time but that time has passed. Maybe a really old Harley that you have to be a mechanic to ride.

9. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

10. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

All of which are 100% elective. HH

11. B C

B C

Sharp looking bike. Congrats!

Doc Holliday and glowrod like this.
  12. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

For sure will save money in the long run...
    And the Valkyrie is somewhat unique, you don't see many around.
    It's a great riding bike.

13. Old Army Guy

Old Army Guy

Nice looking bike, enjoy

glowrod likes this.
  14. DrewBone

DrewBone

Since I don't own a wide paint brush I'll let others who prefer to paint with them their interjection of rude HD comments, ad nauseam.

I'll instead convey that that's a very nice looking bike you've got there. I wish you well with it and of course safe riding :)

15. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

What's wrong with you? Why would you choose price and build quality over marketing and sentimentality?

;)

Enjoy that bike!

16. Pete Perfection

Pete Perfection

Harley’s are for bikers or posers. Honda’s are for riders.

17. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

You meet the nicest people on a Honda.
    Here's mine. :)
    IMG_20200703_182054586_HDR.jpg

glowrod, Jbritt, MinervaDoe and 16 others like this.
  18. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

I was never into Harleys. Always had Goldwings until my brother bought the farm and left me his Ultra Classic. Now I have both. So for me it's GW for long trips and HD for shorter rides and poker/toy runs. You should like your Valk.

19. Intolerant

Intolerant

Because they flooded the market when they ramped up MC production in 2000 onward. That pissed off ALOT of us older riders to where as we wernt getting any trade-in value because they made it to easy to buy a harley.

Dealers were forced into fancy new buildings, floor full of bikes, HD forced them to buy gazillions in chinese made leathers. Then they took on their own HD brand named insurance through progressive insurance company, then got backed by big banking to sell to every tom dick & harry that had less than garbage for a credit score. They sold a hell of alotta bikes and chinese made clothing. It use to be, you could ride your harley for 3 to 4yrs, trade it back in for damn near what you paid for it new.

Harley screwed themselves. I dont feel any pity for them, and i have 3 harleys sitting in my gargae right theis very minute. In the past 10/15yrs, all you see is chinese made doo rags, and a bunch of wanna be bikers that bought there way into the biker scene, with plastic credit cards. My wife an i call these wannabe bikers, plastic posers.

Buying a harley dosent make you a biker. Now the harley market is in the dumpster. Its their own fault. I was in a couple HD dealerships the other day... all they are is a brick an mortar t-shirt shop now. I`m sorry, but having to pay $20K up to $50K for a motorcycle..? Not this guy.

The reliability of a Harley; Since the alpha twincam A arrived in 1999, the beta twincam B engine in 2000 for the softails, these engines have been VERY reliable. They did have some cam tensioner issues early on, but have fixed that issue when they went to hydraulic instead of spring tensioners. In 2006, they brought out the 6 speed in the dyna. It had some issues, but they fixed it, been damn good bikes since. I wouldn`t hesitate riding any of them since 2007 at all.

As for saltwater bikes, they are great bikes as well, i own one. But the problem with saltwater bikes, is after 5 to 7yrs of ownership, saltwater bikes are prone to parts not being available. You can still buy harley parts for a 1913 motorcycle. You`ll never get that with saltwater motorcycles.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  20. Intolerant

Intolerant

Really??? This one still runs and drives. Please post a Honda that old that still runs. Oh wait, never mind.

[​IMG]

vettely, CanyonMan, 540mope and 6 others like this.